• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Vs. Mega Man

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4megaman:

General Rules:

• No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]

***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 5 days, with the next thread opening up in about 2/3 days.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think it is 60-40 for mega man.

A smart mewtwo can def hold their own.

There are a few things that mewtwo realy has going against him though.

Being light really helps mega man, utilt, Usmash, and Uair realy kill easier than on other characters which makes it very tough for mewtwo.

Also his large size really makes it even tougher to get around our projectiles.

Now reflect can really work well as a surprise if we accidentally charge Fsmash. Also mewtwo has some good aerials for combos.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Really wish i could give some info here, but there are literaly no Mewtwos in my region.

I'm on vacation, so if there is anyone willing to see if we can get a few matches of the MU, just let me know.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I use Mega Man as well, so I'll weigh in.

Mewtwo may be light, but Mega Man really struggles to get the kill if he's not using an aerial since his options to do so are pretty laggy and somewhat predictable/hard read dependent. They also require you to be close to Mewtwo, and a good player isn't going to be close to you anticipating this. Meanwhile, Mewtwo can kill with his Shadow Ball fairly early if he hits Mega Man as he's experiencing lag. It also goes right through his pellets. Shadow Ball can also punish Mega Man at range if he has a bad landing since none of his aerials other than n-air autocancel. Leaf Shield doesn't defend from SB either. Overall, Mewtwo kills easier than Mega Man does, but he still has to watch out and know when to go in, as dying from an unexpected down smash or up tilt at 70% is a real risk.

Confusion doesn't do too much versus mega man except reflecting side smash as you said. Mega Man's side smash is essentially useless in this MU I feel. It can also reflect his side B and Metal Blade which don't have a ton of reward. You're better off trying to catch Metal Blade.

Disable can be good if Mega Man misses a hard read, but using it in neutral is tough because Mega Man's pellets outrange it. What I like to do is punish poorly spaced down tilts with it since they have enough landing lag to give you the opportunity to use it.

Mega Man doesn't have much pressure from afar, he excels more at mid range while Mewtwo is better at far range. This means Mewtwo can camp him out better than most other zoners.

In terms of neutral, it's up for debate who has a better one. Mega Man has his pellets and Mewtwo just has down tilt, jab, and shadow ball. Mega Man falls fast, which means landing is riskier. This could potentially lead into an up smash punish from Mewtwo.

Mewtwo falls pretty slowly. Mega Man can abuse this by using up air, which is a very effective tool against Mewtwo. Note that Confusion can mitigate this slightly, however.

Off stage, Mewtwo can gimp Mega Man's recovery pretty easily since it lacks a hitbox. Mega Man can't really gimp Mewtwo as easily, although his Leaf Shield can steal his second jump, which is extremely important for Mewtwo's recovery.

Mewtwo should stay on the ground in this match up, and Mega Man should use his aerials to his advantage, as Mewtwo doesn't have much defense against them.

For customs, Mega Man is going to want Danger Wrap over Crash Bomber. Mewtwo struggles to land, and Danger Wrap makes this even harder for Mewtwo to do. Skull Barrier can be used too as a reflector, but Mewtwo will always win the reflect war unless he's not prepared, so it's usually not worth it. Ice Slasher could potentially be interesting and put Mewtwo in a bad position in the air, but it's usually outdone by Danger Wrap. Don't use Beat.

As Mega Man, you should use: 1311, 1312, 1313, 1211, 1212, 1213. All should work fine depending on preference.

I say 55-45 Mega Man's favor. With Danger Wrap, possibly 60-40 Mega Man.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Mega Man certainly has a hard time getting in vs Mewtwo when he's ready to. Mewtwo has the Shadow Ball which is very powerful and ignores most of Mega Man's projectiles. Mewtwo's tilts aren't bad either at spacing. Most of Mega Man's KOs will be bairs I feel followed by usmash when fighting Mewtwo. Those were my experiences when fighting him, anyway.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
I don't think much of Mega Man. I think his gameplan is fairly weak, and Mewtwo has an easier time against zoners anyway. SHAD puts in work here, as does threatening with Shadow Ball. His SH game isn't very good so Dtilt is more reliable. He's also one of the easier characters to land jab combos on (IIRC) and we can be aggressive offstage.

We win slightly.

Karsticles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Karsticles
When Mewtwo doesn't have Shadow Ball charged, this is tough on him.
When Mewtwo has Shadow Ball charged, he has the upper hand.

I think Megaman controls the neutral better, and Mewtwo has to find that space to get Shadow Ball, which makes Megaman hesitate to use most of his toolset. If Megaman is overzealous, we can reflect his projectiles, but it isn't terribly effective since Confusion is so slow.

Top Bottom