• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match Up Against Little Mac ?

FluffyMcSwirl

Smash Rookie
I have a difficult time dealing with well-seasoned Mac players. He's small, fast, hard to grab, his ground game is amazing, and his side B seems to be the bane of Jr. (At least for me haha).

I just don't know how to safely approach this character due to his nimbleness. Even Jr's side B seems easily punished by Mac.

Anyone have any tips on this MU?

Last edited:

Reverbo

Smash Rookie
I also find this to be a tricky matchup for Jr., assuming the Mac knows what he is doing.

My advice would be to get really mixup/bait heavy, such as cart shenanigans and landing at tricky angles. Mac has great frame data and his super armor helps him quite a bit with the cart, but he will have to commit eventually. Overall, just remain patient and punish him off of your baits.

As for the edge guarding, i find baiting an air dodge and hitting him with nair does the trick.

Last edited:

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
I played Sol yesterday, and this is what I've decided.

-Flat stages favor you
-mecha koopa must be out at all times
-space and retreat effectively
-don't just just down, he can smash through it
-cover is up-b with your own spinout into the side of the stage
-bait him, you won't win trying to play aggro
-projectiles

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I played Sol yesterday, and this is what I've decided.

-Flat stages favor you
-mecha koopa must be out at all times
-space and retreat effectively
-don't just just down, he can smash through it
-cover is up-b with your own spinout into the side of the stage
-bait him, you won't win trying to play aggro
-projectiles
This lines up pretty well with what I've learned as well. Also always go to Duck Hunt or Smashville if the stages aren't banned.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
This lines up pretty well with what I've learned as well. Also always go to Duck Hunt or Smashville if the stages aren't banned.
Wouldn't a smaller stage be better?
Mac has a terrible recovery so I suppose that we can get him off stage more often in a place like miiverse for example.
I get the tree camping on DH though.

In addition to everything that has been said, Jr can chain a few dairs and carry Mac offstage which is lethal for him. If you'd like to go to FD, go to omega lylat his up B can get stuck under sometimes.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
Mac can be a pain if he gets into your "unwanted" area. Whether you play more defensively or offensively, if you leave yourself open Mac will capitalize super hard. If you play defensively, I would suggest putting up a huge wall when Mac is offstage or not approaching. The reason why you can't just zone him out is BowJow's lag on his projectiles. Keep your distance and use mechakoopa when the coast is clear. Also, I know cannonball is considered to be booty-buttcheeks, but jumping and using it startles the opponent due to its lasting hitbox, preventing them from an unpredictable approach. Charge with the kart once in awhile to surprise him too.

If you're offensive however, use your safest moves. Don't just go in expecting huge damage. Use moves like you down tilt and fair (no fastfall) and mix up your kart game. Then go for the kill once he makes a mistake.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
na i mean mechakoop
okay! (thank goodness)

the thing is, I agree that it's really good to have one out as often as possible. However, I think it's easier said than done to actually set a mechakoopa in this matchup (again, depending on the stage).

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
okay! (thank goodness)

the thing is, I agree that it's really good to have one out as often as possible. However, I think it's easier said than done to actually set a mechakoopa in this matchup (again, depending on the stage).
I agree, if you are not safe while setting them up, then you will get super punished

Top Bottom