• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Master Edges: How's this Attack Dodged?

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
The attack in question is the 'charging' delayed flurry of slashes that leads into a single slash that launches-- mostly horizontally. On 9.0, it seems to break shields, catch rolls, and of course can't be spot dodged as it's multihit.

Now, I've beaten Classic on 9.0 a couple of times with a rather random assortment of characters (tend to use those with counters to take advantage of situations where I might normally need to spot-dodge with some free damage). After a few tries, none of the formes are particularly bothersome except for the blade form-- which I've resorted to beating via sac'ing a stock literally every try. The clone-of-you form is laughably easy, as with the normal stages leading up to the master core stage, of course, as fighting AIs is nothing compared to people. Likewise, basic rolling and spotdodging along with a few power shields will easily get you through most of the other forms quite easily... but how does one deal with that damned 'barrage into heavy slash' attack? It's irksome to deal with a boss that's neither familiar from brawl boss battle mode in shape nor humanoid enough to treat like a real fighter, but that 'follows you like a grab' into an attack you can't shield, spotdodge, nor run from? The ****?

I don't have the patience to play classic mode a dozen times just to trial-and-error out some stupid side-boss's singular attack that can't be evaded, but grinding custom moves via anything less than home-screen-aided slots is slow enough going to bore me to tears-- if anyone's actually dodging that attack somehow rather than being hit by it every damn time, please clue me in. I'm starting to think that my method for the giant's grab (don't even bother trying to evade half the time and just tech it) might be the simplest method of surviving. That, or shielding as much as possible then buffering a spot-dodge before taking the tail end... but, given that's the only dangerous part... myeh..

As it stands, my method's been 'die every time it's used, but try and kill them first'.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Fight it at the center of the level, then dash behind when you see it preparing the attack.

The only thing you'll need to actually shield/dodge is the final slash, as it seems to be incapable of moving backwards once the slashes come out.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The giant's grab is also avoidable, but sometimes it's less stressful to just kinda let it happen.
But you seem to know that too.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Fight it at the center of the level, then dash behind when you see it preparing the attack.

The only thing you'll need to actually shield/dodge is the final slash, as it seems to be incapable of moving backwards once the slashes come out.
Hm... once it starts the 'charging' it looks to be following me-- do I need to time that dash to the right to coincide with some signal after that, or is it a matter of counting, or...? I suppose if I practice evading the hands' grabs without using rolls or spot/air dodges, it might be similar...?

The giant's grab is also avoidable, but sometimes it's less stressful to just kinda let it happen.
But you seem to know that too.
Yeah, but sometimes those orbs it spawns make it more trouble than its worth-- especially given that it doesn't do too terribly much damage and that it's easily teched. The rest of the giant's moves are pretty easy to manage, though, unless you're already offstage or something.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Hm... once it starts the 'charging' it looks to be following me-- do I need to time that dash to the right to coincide with some signal after that, or is it a matter of counting, or...? I suppose if I practice evading the hands' grabs without using rolls or spot/air dodges, it might be similar...?
Depending on how far from the edge of the stage you are, you may or may not need to time your dash to make sure it doesn't reposition itself enough to hit you.

Greninja19

Smash Rookie
I would stay on the edge of the map and wait until he is done doing the move!

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help, everyone-- apparently, it doesn't seem to be able to move all the way to the right, then-- that 'blind spot' for the following of it makes the fight infinitely more manageable! Or, at least, it's yet to follow me that far right in the handful of times I've simply haphazardly rushed past it in testing this (excuse the delayed response, took a break to do some timing practices). The video helped quite a bit in showing that to not just be a fluke on my part after some tries with all this advice. ^^

Also, new here, so I don't exactly know what etiquette there is to 'declaring a thread closed' or such, if there's something I need to do along those lines. Didn't seen anything about that in the rules-- though my memory for such things certainly isn't perfect... >//<

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
Two ways to avoid it. Stand there as he prepares the slash and then roll behind him and none of the slashes should hit you. Or like another person said, dash through at the right time. In the end you are left with having to time correctly no matter what it is

Top Bottom