• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MasonEliwood's Anther Sets (and potentially stream sets)

I had some time to kill at the library, so I figured I'd make a thread for the sets I play on Anther's Ladder.

Sets:

I will actively update this thread whenever an upload goes through, and I'll post at least some of these in the general video thread. I will likely focus on sets where I get stomped to post in the critique thread, so I don't flood it too much. This thread will be for all sets I upload from Anther's. Every time I upload a new set, I'll both make a new post and edit it into the description. I may organize this original post better in the future.

From these, I'm hoping other Roys can study and learn from my play, help critique me on my play, or point out anything I'm missing/neglecting that I can improve on.

I don't travel much, and I'm kind of a garbo player, but if I ever get on stream again, I'll post the results here.

Last edited:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I have a lot from nearly a week ago that I'm going to try and get up today.

0:08 You use rising nair to pressure shield when he's on platform, falling nair might be safer.

0:30 Unfortunate situation, most of his damage priorcame from cargo U throw and it's already stale so I think it doesn't normally combo in this situation if it's fresh, or if DK has rage.
You really need to play outside of DK's immediate dash grab range.

0:43 What I think led to you being grabbed here was staying in the same position for slightly too long.
Masking your position and more movement is very important so that DK can't pinpoint a grab.
Very important to utilize how much of the stage you control, maybe a retreating F tilt(out of dash turnaround, not PP) could fit somewhere in situations like this.

0:52 - 0:56
I think that was a smart roll, even though you might have been able to punish that down smash if it hit your shield. You reset the neutral to a more favorable distance for the matchup, maintained stage control, and also left DK with little room to work with.
You did manage a D tilt on his shield which did considerable shield damage, if you're able to do a little more shield damage by the means of an aerial spaced outside his shieldgrab range, or just scaring him into staying in shield when you jump, since if he doesn't respect your aerials he will get hit. Important to not over-commit either in situations like this, since if he rolls in stage control is his and the tables turn quickly, you don't want to be getting hit or thrown at the ledge and giving the opponent a situation to edgeguard and potentially gimp at low %.

1:18 Well it seems DK can indeed kill confirm us at this percent, just brings more emphasis on how important avoiding DK's grab is in this matchup.

Game 2 was more of an edgeguarding/recovering game, which I think ultimately are more important for the user to analyze and figure out, but if you have any questions for a specific instance, feel free to ask. I do feel as if the overuse of dairs off stage made a big impact on this game but there are a few specific instances I want to point out.

2:30
He rolls into you and you manage to jump away, but you immediately dash back in.
You shouldn't feel the need to approach DK so aggressively, he doesn't really have a way to force you to approach in terms of a projectile so you can afford to play a more patient game.
DK can charge his punch but if he doesn't have a sizable lead he will have to approach eventually as he risks timing himself out or a potential comeback if he's too passive.

3:43 You hit him off stage and you make him panic into a high up b. (which admittedly might be because of the use of your dairs offstage) From my experience it's almost always better to stay grounded to follow him instead of trying to follow him in the air. Our punishes are much weaker the higher up we are and we can't really change directions once we've committed, often leading to sourspots if they decide to reverse momentum. Staying grounded gives us more control and time to react for a punish.

That's all for now, I do plan on discussing your other matches but it's late here and I need sleep. Thanks for sharing these, they really aid to my learning and understandings of roy, not only as a character but also how I personally use him.

0:08 You use rising nair to pressure shield when he's on platform, falling nair might be safer.

0:30 Unfortunate situation, most of his damage priorcame from cargo U throw and it's already stale so I think it doesn't normally combo in this situation if it's fresh, or if DK has rage.
You really need to play outside of DK's immediate dash grab range.

0:43 What I think led to you being grabbed here was staying in the same position for slightly too long.
Masking your position and more movement is very important so that DK can't pinpoint a grab.
Very important to utilize how much of the stage you control, maybe a retreating F tilt(out of dash turnaround, not PP) could fit somewhere in situations like this.

0:52 - 0:56
I think that was a smart roll, even though you might have been able to punish that down smash if it hit your shield. You reset the neutral to a more favorable distance for the matchup, maintained stage control, and also left DK with little room to work with.
You did manage a D tilt on his shield which did considerable shield damage, if you're able to do a little more shield damage by the means of an aerial spaced outside his shieldgrab range, or just scaring him into staying in shield when you jump, since if he doesn't respect your aerials he will get hit. Important to not over-commit either in situations like this, since if he rolls in stage control is his and the tables turn quickly, you don't want to be getting hit or thrown at the ledge and giving the opponent a situation to edgeguard and potentially gimp at low %.

1:18 Well it seems DK can indeed kill confirm us at this percent, just brings more emphasis on how important avoiding DK's grab is in this matchup.

Game 2 was more of an edgeguarding/recovering game, which I think ultimately are more important for the user to analyze and figure out, but if you have any questions for a specific instance, feel free to ask. I do feel as if the overuse of dairs off stage made a big impact on this game but there are a few specific instances I want to point out.

2:30
He rolls into you and you manage to jump away, but you immediately dash back in.
You shouldn't feel the need to approach DK so aggressively, he doesn't really have a way to force you to approach in terms of a projectile so you can afford to play a more patient game.
DK can charge his punch but if he doesn't have a sizable lead he will have to approach eventually as he risks timing himself out or a potential comeback if he's too passive.

3:43 You hit him off stage and you make him panic into a high up b. (which admittedly might be because of the use of your dairs offstage) From my experience it's almost always better to stay grounded to follow him instead of trying to follow him in the air. Our punishes are much weaker the higher up we are and we can't really change directions once we've committed, often leading to sourspots if they decide to reverse momentum. Staying grounded gives us more control and time to react for a punish.

That's all for now, I do plan on discussing your other matches but it's late here and I need sleep. Thanks for sharing these, they really aid to my learning and understandings of roy, not only as a character but also how I personally use him.
Thank you for the critique, I think I'll know how to approach the DK matchup better and space with movement. I feel clueless in the matchup, so having someone catch mistakes I've been failing to catch on rewatching the games helps a lot.
Especially approach, I never really think about how I'm never forced to approach in some matchups, and I rarely have beneficial patience with it. The only time I've ever really forced approaches well was at a tournament nearly a year ago where I had to time out a Sonic a few times in one set.

I need to think more on which matchups that approach is vital in, and which ones where forcing approach is vital.

I notice multiple times that I just stand there and jab. I need to realize that it doesn't wall everyone out, especially DK.

I worry so much about getting shieldgrabbed that it ironically gets me grabbed in every other situation.

I have one set that uploaded overnight, which I'll post here. There's two Roy dittos coming, then I need to edit the footage for multiple losing sets that I had someone with a capture card nab for me.

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
Cloud vs. Roy matchup:

Roy Ditto Sets:
Your Roy seems really good! I think that you used nair a bit to much though. But that's just my opinion. Would you like to play against me anytime soon?

Top Bottom