• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Link (please read before locking or posting!)

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Please read through the whole post before posting. This is NOT the same Masked Link idea you may have seen before!, and I have searched through the rest of the forums to find something like this, and have not found any repeats, save for my other incarnation of this thread, which was locked before anyone could post or my case could be made for having it, so please read first!

OK, I know what you're all thinking. "This is a repeat thread of that other Masked Link Thread!" Well, not exactly so. That other thread is talking about the idea of a Masked Link who transforms like Pokemon Trainer, with five different move-sets (including Fierce Deity). I think we can all agree that, as cool as that would be, such an idea is ridiculous, having far to many move-sets on one character to be feasible at all. So, I'm making this thread to try and gather support for my idea of Masked Link.

The move-set I propose would allow us to keep all the feel of a Link from Majora's Mask without having a ludicrous number of Link move-sets. The way it works is this: Masked Link would transform into the various Links, but not in the manner of Pokemon Trainer. He would transform for a short time, long enough to perform an attack and shift back. In essence, some of his attacks would transform him for the duration of the attack. The transformation would change Young Link's size, but upon being hit, he would revert to being Young Link and react accordingly; in an example, using an attack that transforms Young Link into Deku Link makes him a bit smaller then normal, but will not make him a lightweight if he gets hit, and conversely, he would not become incredibly heavy if hit while doing a Goron Link attack. This kind of move-set would allow us to have Young Link the Majora's Mask goodness, while retaining a reasonable number of movesets (Fierce Diety Link would still be a Final Smash). I belive that this is not so farfetched an idea, nor is it far removed from Majora's Mask itself, because quick shifting between forms was a fairly useful trick that helped throughout the games (or at least against some enemies).

I think this is the perfect time to show off the move-set that came to me in a flash of inspiration.

Masked Link:
Stats: Same as Young Link
Appearance: Same sort of changes that were made between Ocarina's Young Link and Majora's Young Link apply. He's got some new gear, a metal shield, and the awesome-to-look-at Razor Sword, and a graphics overhaul.

Attacks:

Ground A moves:
A, A, A/AAAA etc.: Left Slash, Right Slash, Stab / Illusion Stab combo: Same moves as Young Link in Melee.
Ftilt A: Drop Slash: A vertical slash from forehead level to stomach level (reletive to YLink of course)
Utilt A: Arc Slash: An arcing swipe above Young Link's head
Dtilt A: Shoelace Slash: A swiping slash at the feet
Fsmash A: Goron Punch Young Link Shapeshifts into Goron Link and charges up a burning right hook that, while slow, is incredibly powerful and includes a few invincibility frames. Enemies are launched in a fairly horizontal arc.
Usmash A: Twin Zora Swipe: Young Link transforms into Zora Link and swipes twice with his fins. The first swipe can hit people in front of him to begin the move, and the second is more limited to above his head and launches foes straight up.
Dsmash A: Deku Tornado: Young Link transforms into Deku Link and performs a variation on his spinning attack, drawing foes in to be hit multiple times.
Dash A: Deku Spin: Deku Link performs his spin attack in a dash. The move is far less powerful then the aforementioned Deku Tornado, but it still hits multiple times, and Deku Link loses no momentum doing it.

Air Moves:
Nair: Zora Kick: Young Link becomes Zora Link and does his normal air kick, but by transforming, has a longer kick range then is normally expected.
Fair: Tumble Slash: Young Link does a forward flip in the air, slicing foes in front of him.
Bair: Zora Double Kick: Much like Zora Kick, Young Link becomes Zora Link and performs his old back kick, using his Zora Form to gain extra range.
Uair: Sky Stab: Much like Link, a stab straight up into the air:
Dair: Sword Plant: Young Link performs what has become his signature move, chance of burning included.

Grab moves:
Grab: Golden Hookshot: Masked Link has an extended grab, using the golden Hookshot from Majora's Mask.
Grab Attack: Hilt Bash: Young Link hits the foe with the hilt of his sword.
Fthrow: Stomach Stomp: Young Link kicks his foe in the stomach, launching them a short distance.
Bthrow: Reverse Zora Kick: Zora Link drags the foe around to the back, stabs them with a fin, and launches them with a kick.
Uthrow: Deku Pop: Young Link tosses the foe up, and then Deku Link pops into the air, head butting the foe into the air.
Dthrow: Goron Slam: Goron Link curls up and slams into the foe while they lay prone on the ground.

Special Moves:
Neutral B: Magic Arrow: Young Link draws his bow back, adding magic power to the arrow as he draws it. A short charge (whic still includes a horizontal trajectory) makes it a fire arrow, a bit longer then the "normal" full charge makes it an Ice Arrow which can freeze enemies similar to what the Ice Climbers can do.
Side B: Goron Roll: Young Link becomes Goron Link, curls into a ball, and rolls across the stage covered in spikes. The spikes deal some good damage and are disjointed hit boxes, making the rolling Goron hard to hit.
Up B: Deku Flower: Young Link becomes Deku Link, who pops higher in the air, and produces a pair of Deku Flowers that he uses to catch the wind and float with. Pressing the attack button will drop a Deku Bomb which functions like the Deku Nut item.
Down B: Zora Lightning Field: Zora Link goes into a defensive stance and surrounds himself with an electric field, zapping those who get too close. The move diminishes in size with use and recharges with non-use, much like Bowser's Fire Breath.

Final Smash: Fierce Deity: Wait a minute, surely this move is restricted to boss rooms, right?* After using the power of a Smash Ball, Young Link becomes Fierce Deity Link, and becomes much stronger then his original self, has a blade with huge range, and gains new moves to boot.

Fierce Deity moveset:
AAA: Rising Slash, Falling Slash, Mobeius Slash: A rhythmic chain of strikes with low knockback.
Ftilt: Sweep: A chest-level sword slash.
Utilt: Sky: A high sweep with the blade.
Dtilt: Grave Slash: A sweep at the ground
Fsmash: Grand Cleave: A high-powered slice with the Helix Sword.
Usmash: Sky splitter: An enormous arc with the sword to smash people up.
Dsmash: Earth Render: One continuous sweep from front to back.
Dash: Vanish Slice: Fierce Deity goes invisible for a split second and reappears a few feet away, slashing whatever he crossed paths with.

Aerials:
Nair: Evil Moon: A spinning strike surrounding FDL
Fair: Ghost Cutter: A horizontal forward slash with good power.
Bair: Tidal Crash: A big swing smashing a huge vertical arc behind him.
Uair: Avalancher: Multiple swings upwards for high damage.
Dair: Sinker: Basically a high-powered Sword Plant

Grabs:
Attack: Hilt Bash
Fthrow: Broadside: A baseball-bat smack with the flat side of the blade
Bthrow: Fling: Just a powerful toss backwards
Uthrow: High Fling: Grab them by the foot and then just chuck them upward
Dthrow: Finisher: Throws them to the ground and then stabs them.

Specials:
Neutral B: Shining bullet: Magical energy discs are launched from the sword, just like in Majora's Mask. Long-ranged, quick and powerful
Side B: Shining Rift: Fierce Deity does a huge swing, leaving behind an after-image of a shining arc in the sky. That arc then rockets forward as a short-lived, short-ranged projectile. On the ground, the wave takes the form of a shockwave on the ground.
Up B: Corkscrew flip: FD flips into the air, end over end, with his sword extended out.
Down B: God Field: FD fills himself with energy, creating a massive shining plastic-wrap around himself. Anything he touches for this split-second charge is launched pretty darn far. Compare to Jiggly's Rest move.

*You don't have time to ponder that question, as Masked Link has just grabbed a Smash Ball

Taunts:
Lon-Lon Milk
Zora Link strumming his "singing guitar" (which plays the "jam session" music)
Goron Link looking confused and going "Owoh?"
Deku Link staring at a flower.

I believe that with this move-set (or one similar to this but removing moves that would make people cry "CLONE!") Masked Link would become a viable alternate Link, but with enough uniqueness to be his own character, and without burning 5 move-sets to do so!

Kinnikuman

Smash Cadet
I was thinking more along the lines of down speacial = Changing Masks then he could be a goron deku and Zora! And his FS = Yea Fierce Link

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
very unlikely + very original... would love a majora's modeled link rather than a windwaker one... honestly... the 2d gw doesnt automatically mean a cartoon link would have chances to be in...

b moves (all transforming moves in fact) are pretty well thought... and fierce deity would be just plain awesome

Iboid

Smash Apprentice
Nice moveset. Great place for Deku Link and Fierce Diety!

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the input, guys. Good to know there's people who like this idea.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'd prefer that the masks were items that anyone could pick up and transform into for a short while.

Unlikely, but awesome, idea.

Top Bottom