• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's SideB...?

King Orpheus

Smash Rookie
NNID
XxLordOrpheusxX
3DS FC
0705-4585-3519
Yo, I'm pretty new to competitive Smash and I have 0 clue how to time Marth's (or Roy's) SideB so I can get my combos in. I had this problem in Melee as well. Help is much appreciated.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
The intervals between pressing the "B" button have to be the same. Doesn't matter how fast or slow you go as long as you hit them at equal steps.

Evil Idol

Smash Rookie
NNID
Evil_Idol
You can also hold up or down on the control stick while using it to change the attacks a bit.
I found that in Brawl, a tipped xxx^ would often star KO at higher percents. It's a bit harder to land in Melee and PM but DB has more knockback in PM and Melee so it'll probably have a similar effect.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
The intervals between pressing the "B" button have to be the same. Doesn't matter how fast or slow you go as long as you hit them at equal steps.
Not quite true. Some variations are faster or slower than others, and it's possible to delay the next attack slightly as a timing mixup. It's not terribly useful for Marth (mostly see this with Roy, who has a better side-b in PM), but if you commit to a side-b string it's worth bearing in mind.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
yea its about this 1 2 & (3) & (4) at least thats what works for me...

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
InfinityCollision is correct.

You can't really button-mash your way through it. You need rhythmic button presses, but you can alter the speed in the middle of the series by mixing up the timing of your presses.

That said, usually the Marth's sword dance isn't actually that useful beyond the first move, occasionally up to the third. The fourth is pretty rarely used.

ImmaAsian

Smash Cadet
Another tip, you can use the attack button to continue the Sword Dance. (Initiate with side-b, continue with A button taps.)

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Another tip, you can use the attack button to continue the Sword Dance. (Initiate with side-b, continue with A button taps.)
I wish this wasn't the case. It makes stuff like side B to utilt marginally more difficult while not actually being useful.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You shouldn't have issues with Side B to Utilt, since you should be waiting very patiently for the move to be over before trying to press anything. You get a window near the end that doesn't allow you to cancel into another Side B hit, and I find that lenient enough to get grab/Utilt/anything afterwards

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I don't have any issues doing it, I just wish I didn't have to wait until the A button won't trigger dancing blade anymore.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Is Dancing Blade a good move to use in competitive?

I've been fooling around with Marth in Training Mode and I found the Side-Up-Up-Up useful to send opponents in the air and follow up with Up-Airs or UTilts.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
You very rarely see more than the first hit used in competitive play. It's really easy to DI out of, especially if you're not absolutely perfect with your spacing and timing.

DB is one of the only things I'd like/wouldn't mind seeing tweaked in Marth's kit. Not necessary by any means, but it'd be nice.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
You very rarely see more than the first hit used in competitive play. It's really easy to DI out of, especially if you're not absolutely perfect with your spacing and timing.

DB is one of the only things I'd like/wouldn't mind seeing tweaked in Marth's kit. Not necessary by any means, but it'd be nice.
I like your picture btw.

DB is an amazing combo move, but it's really underused. The third hit, if you can get it, is a really powerful swing that can really mess around with your opponent. That being said, it should probably be tweaked, but should remain similar to have that effect.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Thanks! Have you seen the full comic it's from?

The problems with DB are threefold in my opinion:

1) The different hits often don't link together well, even if you're using the proper variation for the situation. You can wait a moment, taking care not to let them exit hitstun, but even then they can potentially...

2) DI out, which is fairly easy for the most part. If this occurs...

3) You have no means of defending yourself if they're not trapped in the string. All hits after the first commit for at least 40 frames and you're unable to change direction a la Roy's 4th hit turnaround to deal with opponents behind you.

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Is Dancing Blade a good move to use in competitive?

I've been fooling around with Marth in Training Mode and I found the Side-Up-Up-Up useful to send opponents in the air and follow up with Up-Airs or UTilts.
Very, very occasionally, you can time it so that the third hit angled downwards hits a meteor. It's pretty hard though, and not worth doing 99% of the time unless you're goofing off. Also, if you know that your opponent has poor DI, you can do side-side-down-down for some percent, or side-side-side for a kill at upper percents.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
the side B is one of the few things I wish they'd buff for Marth.

obviously don't make it as good as it was in Brawl, but making it so it strings together a little better couldn't hurt imo

BoomToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikeydakid
3DS FC
1161-0269-8180
the side B is one of the few things I wish they'd buff for Marth.

obviously don't make it as good as it was in Brawl, but making it so it strings together a little better couldn't hurt imo
It really depends on character weights / the way the opponent DI's on each swing. One attempt I'll only get the first swing down when the next I'll get all four down.

BoomToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikeydakid
3DS FC
1161-0269-8180
The pictures of Lucina on the "tome," were those the pictures of her in the FE:A DLC, right? Incredible :laugh:

ObdurateMARio

Smash Apprentice
my favorite elements of dancing blade are
1) first hit of DB --> grab (not sure if DI dependent. I land it pretty consistently though on most cast)
2) third hit of DB down, knocks enemy down, lead to techchase

Mijah

Smash Rookie
Thought I should mention that in Ken's Marth tutorial he says this about the third hit of DB:
The forward hit should be used for kills
The down angle if the opponent is crouch cancelling
The up angle for comboing

Top Bottom