• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's nair vs his fair

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
My friend says it's an amazing move I disagree and say fair is a more solid approach option and nair should only be used to create a wall to keep an opponent at distance. I wan't your opinions on this though.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Nair is an extremely good, but not as an approach. It always has higher KB scaling than even a tipper fair does, is way more difficult to DI advantageously, and has the potential to AC. The problem with it is that the second hit is the one that's actually good, and it's super obvious when a Marth is attempting to go in with a nair. I'm not saying that you can't make nair work, but it's a different situation under which you can make it work for you properly.

tl;dr: they're both good, but fair comes out way faster. your friends ********. dont commit to aerials on an approach

Potsandpans.bangbang

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I feel like it's pretty situational. Cause like what FE Hector said, fair comes out faster, but if your opponent misses an l cancel or an attack that has a long enough delay, you probably have time to approach and get close enough to hit your opponent with both slashes of a nair. And to say any move should "only" be used in particular situations, you're gonna limit yourself significantly. If you shffl a nair, it can be used as an approach in certain cases, and is useful because unless your spacing is perfect every time you throw an attack out, fairs will send opponents up if you space it wrong, but if you shffl a nair, even though you'll only hit them with one slash, it'll send them out instead of up. And for making a wall to create distance, fairs are sometimes just as good or better than nairs depending on the situation. If an opponent gets too close, an fair might work better because it comes out faster, not to mention if they're that close, the fair will probably send them up and set you up for a combo. So yeah, pretty much I'd say think about different moves working in different situations instead of only using moves for specific purposes, and try out different moves in different situations to see which moves work well in which situations

lstplace

Smash Rookie
you can nair and follow up into a kill but if you tipper fsmash best case scenario most of the time is a ledge guard opportunity

depends on the situation

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Nair is an extremely good, but not as an approach. It always has higher KB scaling than even a tipper fair does, is way more difficult to DI advantageously, and has the potential to AC. The problem with it is that the second hit is the one that's actually good, and it's super obvious when a Marth is attempting to go in with a nair. I'm not saying that you can't make nair work, but it's a different situation under which you can make it work for you properly.

tl;dr: they're both good, but fair comes out way faster. your friends ********. dont commit to aerials on an approach
I guess in doubles where you'll have two opponents coming at you, it would be suitable.However, since there's little to none real doubles in Melee anymore, the F-air would be a way better during a 1v1. Just know your bread and butter moves and you'll be gold

Top Bottom