• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's kill options?

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
Hey, all. I'm Leery. I'm a recovering casual trying to get into the competitive Smash scene. Since melee, I've been making Marth, but since I've started playing competitively I've realized there are quite a few parts of this character I clearly don't grasp.

Mostly, how to kill with him. I can rack up damage with relative ease, but I'm just not sure how to finish people off. Edgeguarding techniques, useful kill moves, etc. I'd really like to get good with this character because he's just so much FUN, but I don't really know where to start if I can't KO.

Any advice whatsoever is much appreciated.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Please refer to either Emblem Lord's guide:
http://smashboards.com/threads/promotion-to-great-lord-marth-strategy-notes.370731/

Or my guide:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-blade-of-two-fates-marth-lucina-guide.379525/

for more details about anything Marth related (kills or otherwise xD). Either of these, or both of them even, is a great starting point I'd say on your way to get better with Marth (not to sound like I'm bragging or anything though xD)

That said, gimping via FAir/UAir is great for off stage fighting, will be one of your two main methods of finishing off your opponent. A very well spaced attack at the very edge of the sword (known as the tipper) is another option, but it is best gone for when your opponent cannot block it or dodge it easily. You could go for the spiking option using the DAir off stage, but remember that it can be risky due to the commitment of the move (ideally you want to jump first and DAir, as just a falling DAir may commit you all the way to the blast zone). Though considering you've played Melee, know that all of those skills transfer over, except for Marth's attack strings have changed. All the fundamentals are essentially the same. Marth's key towards victory is spacing and getting the tipper to finish his opponents off. Otherwise, he should get the opponent offstage and gimp/stage spike them to take their stock away.

There are alsp a number of setups to kills like the DB setup and Air DB setup/combo, you also have your SB, which with the buff it was given in this game, is a great tool for punishing shielding and interrupting attacks outside of your FAir/BAir.

Hopefully all this helps ya out dude ^^

EDIT: Almost forgot to say welcome to SmashBoards dude xD hope ya enjoy your stay

Last edited:

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
Thanks. I'd already taken a cursory look at both, but hadn't really read them so in-depth.

Unfortunately, my knowledge from Melee is limited. I haven't played in years, and like I said, I'm a recovering casual. Competitive stuff is new to me.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Thanks. I'd already taken a cursory look at both, but hadn't really read them so in-depth.

Unfortunately, my knowledge from Melee is limited. I haven't played in years, and like I said, I'm a recovering casual. Competitive stuff is new to me.
No worries xD I just didn't want to repeat what's pretty much on those guides, otherwise it would be about the same kind of walls of text you'd have to read anyway, along with saving time for myself.

Anyways, any bit of background helps dude. I only started going semi competitve for Smash only a month back during 3DS release, so I sorta know the feels. I'm sure you'll learn to adjust in no time, and all that will be left is getting the experience to get better ^^

Doroco

Smash Cadet
Shield breaker can catch people, is hilarious and let's you taunt. It's not exact safe though

theleeryone

Smash Rookie
Well, I was looking more toward safer or earlier options. Much as I love a good fsmash or SB, they leave me more vulnerable than I am comfortable with.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Well, I was looking more toward safer or earlier options. Much as I love a good fsmash or SB, they leave me more vulnerable than I am comfortable with.
It doesn't get as much safer as what I've posted dude unfortunately ^^" You will have to learn to space correctly and efficently in order to get those kills. It's something you build up after knowing the fundamentals of what they do, as suggested by the guides. Marth can certainly get the kills faster than some, but you have to tipper them when you get the right spacing and such. Just gotta practice dem fundamentals and keep the tricks in mind. Its either gimping, stage spiking, or a well read FSmash. You can also kill with the full DB, but again, you'll need that tipper. Even retreating FTilts are a good kill option.

Granted, that message was probably more for Doroco, but I do want to emphasize the importance of those points xD

Torisuna

Smash Rookie
Both guides listed by EternalFlame here are awesome reads. Iv lurked here many years and those are great reads! lol Good stuff man. Marths bread and butter is tipper spacing and reads. But those can be complicated more than half the time. Best read up and practice makes perfect.

GREGORE

Smash Cadet
The best ones of Marth are Off Stage... :p He has a big Range to Gimp other Players Off Stage. (But its not that easy)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Tippered Fsmash

That's all you need to know.

Last edited:

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Destroying people with tippered Fsmash is tons of fun, but gimping people w/ Fair and Uair is the way to go.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
The most common ways you're going to be landing kills is with off stage Fairs, Upsmash, or Fsmash.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
A good way to kill when you're frustrated and your opponent is at 130-160% is up throw. It really depends on how much rage you got and the weight of the character though, but most of them die at that range.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
A good way to kill when you're frustrated and your opponent is at 130-160% is up throw. It really depends on how much rage you got and the weight of the character though, but most of them die at that range.
Baiting people to the top platform of Battlefield is good for getting the kill uthrow. But it definitely wouldn't work twice... and against a good player, probably not even once lol.

Last edited:

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
A good way to get early kills is to b-air a recovering opponent below stage on like battlefield, you can get a good stage spike if they don't tech.

Flan76

Smash Rookie
tippered fsmash is what youll usually be using to land kills, but up throws can kill certain characters if u have rage and/or ur opp is at a high percent (~145 for small chars, ~160 for medium, and ~185for heavy). tippered fair kills at high percents. shield breaker is not easy to land whatsoever, but if you do, you can easily kill them with a tippered fsmash, at as low as 50%. with rage, even less. plus you have time to taunt ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom