• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's High Damage Combo and Kill Setups

RisingVexx

Smash Cadet
In the most recent patch, Marth got a reduction of the Landing Lag of his aerial moves.

This allows new follow-ups and combos that weren't possible before.

Recently the user Slickfate posted a list of possible kill setups after a D-air on the ground:
http://smashboards.com/threads/marth-combos-out-of-d-air.412502/

The problem is, there was no way to set it up... until now.

If you manage to connect a fast falling Up-air, you can follow up with a footstool and follow their DI into a D-air. This is the tricky part, yes they can tech the D-air, but they can't tech the footstool tumble animation. If they try to tech it (even if they can't) they won't be able to tech the D-air because of the 40 frames they have to wait before trying to tech again and you will hopefully land the kill.

A few patches ago we lost the ability to use our jab to lock our opponents. But did you know that Marth can still lock with other moves?

Here is a list of the moves you can use to lock your opponent.
Shieldbreaker: until 12%
Down Air Spike Hitbox: until 33%
F-tilt sourspot: until 20%
F-air sourspot: until 3%

The % may vary a little bit between characters. For example, those ones work for Sheik. But for mario:

Shieldbreaker: 13%
Down Air: 36%
Ftilt: 22 %
Fair: 3%

After knowing this, we can apply the same combo at lower percents to get a 43% damage true combo, that can't be tech'd

You can also do some tricky stuff at low percent in stages with platforms like battlefield.

Some setups to get the falling up air are:

Short hop airdodge - Up-Air
First hit of Air Dancing blade - Up-Air (not true combo)

Be creative and lets see how we can push this into the Marth metagame.

Cheers!

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
This is a great find. Thanks for doing the lab work! :)

This is probably just me, but when I uair footstool my opponent, I can't seem to dair them on time. CPU just does gets up before dair actually hits :/

RisingVexx

Smash Cadet
It depends on the character, some characters you can do it as low as 15% with tippered up air and knock them high enough to have the dair connect in time. You can do the first hit of dancing blade after the footstool to stop going up and in some cases have time to connect the dair

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
First hit of dancing blade to upair is actually a true combo at higher %s (100ish)

But by then it's way too high damage to get footstool xD

Zio~

The Underdog
NNID
Fabri1794
3DS FC
3711-9383-8936
Would someome do me a favor and record this? I dont care if its low quality, aslong as I understand whats going on its fine.

Slickfate

Smash Rookie
NNID
Slikfate
3DS FC
0447-8773-9657
Nice lab work! I could've never found this out. The Marth meta is advancing greatly!

RisingVexx

Smash Cadet
Some new stuff people have been finding.

This is a setup that only works if the opponent misses the first tech, they can't tech the tumble animation after the ftilt.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
RisingVexx RisingVexx

For the first video in this thread, I love the use of DB1 to wait for them to hit the ground. Of course, this isn't necessary on fast fallers. I don't know if this will work at all on super floaties though (even if you can connect a footstool on them ,they might be able to act out before hitting the ground...idk actually). But one huge flaw here is Dair spike. Against people who know about this, it's extremely easy to tech the Dair spike. Against people who don't, after they notice they've been footstooled, they might predict a Dair spike since Marth is right above them and tech anyway (it's likely too fast to react to, however).

Your Battlefield combo is awesome though. I love it. Using DS for a jab lock is something I would never think of like ever (did you come up with that?). Of course it still has the Dair spike issue and another issue is the falling Uair connects into tipper Fsmash at that percent on Marth but against other weight classes, fall speeds, and gravities, something else will happen.

In general about Dair spike: keep in mind you can still DI this so a smart player can make sure he won't be sent straight up. Even DI'ing by accident is possible because what if they were trying to tech roll but missed the tech? It comes out as a left or right DI.

Last edited:

IsaacMole

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4613-8096-0525
I've been trying to pull this off for an hour in training mode and I got the dair to land before the CPU got up from the footstool like twice.

Is this still in the game? Do I need to be frame perfect or something? Am I supposed to tipper the uair? Is it easier if they're higher %, or lower %?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a scrub. I slowed down the video in the OP and followed it exactly, it was much easier. In case it helps anyone, here's what I was doing wrong:

The OP uses his double jump before the footstool. I followed suit and spammed jump to get the footstool, and used DB1 as soon as I did so I didn't have to worry about getting a low jump footstool.

Answers to the questions I asked in case anyone was having the same trouble I was:

You can tipper the uair to get it at lower %s, I found it easiest to do untippered between 40-70% depending on weight, but if you get a tipper uair earlier (someone above mentioned as early as 15%) then it's definitely possible. So percent and whether or not to tipper go hand in hand. Low % needs a tipper, high % needs untippered.

I think it's easier to get the meteor from the dair if it's on a fastfaller (I'm having trouble getting the meteor on Mario) but I might just be a scrub again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom