• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Fsmash tipper on lower Battlefield platforms

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Marth, sadly, cannot tipper fsmash some character's feet when they are standing on Battlefield's lower platforms, despite it looking like you should be able to. I am currently making a list of who you cannot hit, and if there are special condtions where they can be hit. This is the 3ds version, please let me know if there are differences in the Wii U version. Please let me know if I got anything wrong, I may have been a bit lazy/lacking in testing some characters.
Just discovered this was going to take a lot longer than I thought it would :[ I'd appreciate it if I could get some help on the testing. Also the format is not the best in the world, any advice?
I probably will keep it in the format of left to right, top to bottom on the char select screen, unless I'm too lazy to reorder future edits.
Format: Character, Exception, Test Method, Notes (Exception and Test Method only if applicable)
Idle animations are generally not specified

*AB smash does not move you forward AFAIK. SB, Jab, and Fsmash does not move marth an apparent amount. (Just got a couple glancing blows I think, next fsmash connected so fsmash might move marth forward a little bit, or I could just be frauding)

**Testing is incomplete, but it seems like most character's feet or "grounded" hurtboxes are not where they look like.

Mario: Cannot be tippered.
Exception: Teetering on ledge
Test Method: Just throwing out tippers all over the place, none hit.​

Luigi: Cannot be tippered.
Exception: Teetering on ledge
Test Method: Just throwing out tippers all over the place, none hit.​

Peach: Can be tippered.
Notes: Aim for the feet. Dress doesn't have a hurtbox​

Bowser: Cannot tipper feet/places where it look like it hits, you can only tipper Bowser's tail.
Test Method: Just throwing out tippers all over the place, occasionally tippered, I went for more accuracy and found the tail seemed like the hurtbox being hit.​

Yoshi: Cannot be tippered.
Exception: Idle animation that lower's his tail (maybe the body) aiming for the tail.
Test Method: Did not tipper until about 40 random fsmashes in, switched to AB smash, missed a couple, then hit one.*
Notes: It certainly looks like it has something to do with the idle animations​

Rosalina: Cannot be tippered.
Luma: Cannot be tippered (lol).
Notes: Feet cannot be tippered unlike Peach, which is interesting​

Bowser Jr.: Can be tippered.
Exception: Idle animation and ~S45E and S45W (assuming cart is round) can't hit Bowser Jr. Aim for little stem.
Notes: Idle animation: 2 small hops​

Wario: Can be tippered.
Exception: Feet
Test Method: I just realized I forgot about these, if there isn't anything I'm just throwing out randy fsmashes.
Notes: Aim for his crotch.​

Game & Watch: Can be tippered.
Exceptions: Feet (kind of)
Notes: Gdubs' standing animation has him move his feet. Front foot can't be hit when out, can hit heel when in. Back foot can always be tippered around his heels, when it's in, it looks like it can always be tippered. Idle animation makes it harder to tip. Ideally aim for the crotch, most consistent.​

Donkey Kong: Can be tippered.
Exception: most of the apparent grounded hurtboxes don't exist
Notes: When facing DK, you can only tip if you are right in front of his toes, and it's a reverse forward smash. When facing the same way as DK, forward smash from under his stubby tail thing, it sends them the normal way. Idle animations may affect if fsmash hits or not, I don't know.​

Diddy Kong: Can be tippered.
Exception: Front of feet.
Notes: DD's idle animation does 2 small hops just like Bowser Jr.'s. Aim for the back of the feet. Half the time it sends them forward and the other half it sends them back, probably just inconsistency on my part, but I haven't had launches this inconsistent before, might be a much smaller window than normal. Also when he lands on a platform, his tail drops, whereas when he is standing, he holds it up high. You may or may not be able to tipper the tail (don't know if it has a hurtbox. (I thought of this because of that time where fox was tippered through DL platform in melee because he landed on his back, and it looked like his tail poked through far enough to be tippered.)
Link: Cannot be tippered. (read notes)
Notes: I've tried many times, I've only hit 2 out of all the tries. My guess is that it is during an idle animation, there is a very small hurtbox that you can hit with fsmash, but with how inconsistent it is, I consider link untipperable.
Zelda: Can be tippered.
Exceptions: Dress (no hurtbox)
Notes: Just like peach, aim for the feet.
Sheik: Can be tippered.
Notes: Hit sheik's foot (front or back both work) with very highest point of fsmash. (At least it makes sense unlike the other characters)
Ganondorf: Can be tippered.
Notes: When facing Ganon, stand ~ underneath between his legs, it seems like it will always be a reverse hit. When facing the same way as Ganon, stand behind his back foot, seems to always be normal launch.​

This clearly is not all the characters, but I will be working on testing them, but I am kind of busy. I'd appreciate if someone would like to help (and probably check and compare if wii u is slightly different enough to affect tippers). :]

Last edited:

Pugwest

Smash Apprentice
Far as I know it works on everyone in the Wii u version but u must be directly below them which causes a reverse direction tipper.

F-tilt on the over hand covers a farther distance and actually hits more often. o.O

fox67890

Smash Journeyman
Well, I feel like tipper fsmash hits everyone on the wii u system as well, but the spacing on it is somewhat ******** for many characters.

I think the biggest factor that determines if it'll hit or not is their animation.

For instance, let's say it very hard to tipper fsmash Zelda on a platform (idk if she is, this is just hypothetical). It may be easier to do so when you catch her air-dodging into the platform because her animation is different during those 22 frames of lag (I think it's 22...). It may also be easier if you catch her laying down on the platform if she missed a tech or something.

This definitely isn't confirmed true, but from my experience, I feel like the level of ease depends on what animation they were in.

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Well, I feel like tipper fsmash hits everyone on the wii u system as well, but the spacing on it is somewhat ******** for many characters.

I think the biggest factor that determines if it'll hit or not is their animation.

For instance, let's say it very hard to tipper fsmash Zelda on a platform (idk if she is, this is just hypothetical). It may be easier to do so when you catch her air-dodging into the platform because her animation is different during those 22 frames of lag (I think it's 22...). It may also be easier if you catch her laying down on the platform if she missed a tech or something.

This definitely isn't confirmed true, but from my experience, I feel like the level of ease depends on what animation they were in.
catching an air dodge will defintely make hitting them easier, when they incur the landing lag of AD, most, if not all characters land with an impact that is kind of like a crouch, (mario IIRC lands kind of like punching the ground on 1 knee). Good point, I should definitely mention that this is for standing characters (if I haven't already).

Top Bottom