• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's B move charge speed.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*

I can't edit Roy's B move charge speed.

The line in hex to edit is the same amongst 3 different PSA's with different B move charge times. (My Roy, P:M Marth, and vBrawl Marth)

The Article Floating point editor will not work with my PSA, but WILL with a standard vBrawl Marth.(No change after the "edit" for my PSA, but I can make the Marth's charge up go a for a loooong time for some reason)

I am stuck and cannot find any help with this no matter where I look. Is there some other way to edit it? Is it even the correct line in Hex? How did the P:M team edit their Marth's B move charge?

Toomai

Smash Ace
I'm not sure whether you're talking about the length of time required for a full charge or the length of time required for each partial charge.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Yay! A response! :D

I meant the full charge. (But could the time between individual charges be the problem possibly? Never thought about that...)

Toomai

Smash Ace
According to this, 0x242c0 is the number of seconds needed for a full charge. Maybe you had problems editing it because it's an integer instead of a float?

Thany

Smash Journeyman
Integer instead of a Float?

I don't actually know what either of those mean...But in the Floating Point Editor, I've never really messed with the options to fiddle with non-integers,

Here's the settings I was using;

The default number is supposed to be 2 , but when I make it 2, it still takes 6 seconds for Flare Blade to hit max power.

But I've also noticed that according to the link in your post that it says that the point to edit is "242C0". Wouldn't that mean that it's literally the "242C0" address? In Hex I've been editing the address that has a value of "2" even though that's actually at 242C3, but "242C0" 's value is "0"

It feels like the address I'm supposed to edit is contradictory given the above paragraph. I saw the same thing for editing Ike's generic .rel a while ago; the values didn't fully match up from my understanding... x__X

Toomai

Smash Ace
The default number is supposed to be 2 , but when I make it 2, it still takes 6 seconds for Flare Blade to hit max power.

But I've also noticed that according to the link in your post that it says that the point to edit is "242C0". Wouldn't that mean that it's literally the "242C0" address? In Hex I've been editing the address that has a value of "2" even though that's actually at 242C3, but "242C0" 's value is "0"
Time for a little lesson on ints and floats then I guess. (If you already know this stuff I'm sorry, but I figure I might as well lay it all out in case you don't.)

Every data value in Brawl is stored as four bytes (32 bits). As a result we only care about blocks four bytes wide; when we say "at 0x242c0", we mean "the four bytes starting at 0x242c0", or "the range 0x242c0-0x242c3". So while technically 0x242c0 is 0 and 0x242c3 is 2, we interpret it as 0x242c0 = 0x00000002 and never use any address that's not a multiple of 4. So, the value at 0x242c0 is 2.

So why do your edits not work the way you want? I'm guessing that whatever tool you're using is putting the float 2.0 instead of the integer 2. Integer 2 is 0x00000002. Float 2.0 is 0x40000000, which interpreted as an integer is 1,073,741,824.

So what can you do? I don't know, I just use a hex editor.

Thany

Smash Journeyman
That's very interesting. I didn't know that before. Guess that also explains why the .rel editing addresses weren't in the literal place it said they'd be ^_^'

Although, opening up this file in Hex still shows the value as 2 despite his and the two Marth's PSA's having different charge times...

Actually, everything on that line is the same...

Anyway, I guess that means I need to view the file with integers somehow, right? How does that work? Thanks a bunch for all the help so far. I hope I'm getting close to having this revealed :3(Or that a PSA update will come along soon to make this less of a convoluted hassle ;__; )

Top Bottom