• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth weak F-air Prattack?

Eripor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eripor
I was messing around with Marth the other day when I realised his soft fair might be a prattack at low %s. Here are some situational applications that I found which work in Battlefield (and potentially other platform stages).

From my testing, it doesn't work past 2% on the fastest fallers. These combos aren't optimal either. But, it's just food for thought (and discussion).

I feel like it can give a Marth player a very good advantage early in the game if it starts with a 30% or higher lead as well as stage position.

No testing has been done for Lucena.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Yup, basically when a move has a low knockback angle paired with low knockback, it's a "prattack". The Sakurai angle (361 degrees) is really good for this because at low percents it's a really low angle. Marth's sour Ftilt is another one. Sour Bair probably works too.

VvMICHELvV

Smash Rookie
I messed around with this a bit

however i must say, the short hop > dancing blade 1 > up air doesnt work all the time. The opponent can use a quick attack, like some nairs to get out. they can also DI away and fall out or jump away. This combo can also be broken if marth is not fast enough when doing the dancing blade to up air, i show an example of this with the bot jumping out of the combo. But like you said, food for thought. its not really optimal.

EDIT: also forgot to say, the tipper hitbox for the fsmash is weird in this case, you have to do a reverse fsmash for it to work. doing a non-reverse'd fsmash will result in a non-tipper for 55% dmg instead of 60%

Last edited:

Eripor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eripor
I messed around with this a bit

however i must say, the short hop > dancing blade 1 > up air doesnt work all the time. The opponent can use a quick attack, like some nairs to get out. they can also DI away and fall out or jump away. This combo can also be broken if marth is not fast enough when doing the dancing blade to up air, i show an example of this with the bot jumping out of the combo. But like you said, food for thought. its not really optimal.

EDIT: also forgot to say, the tipper hitbox for the fsmash is weird in this case, you have to do a reverse fsmash for it to work. doing a non-reverse'd fsmash will result in a non-tipper for 55% dmg instead of 60%
Talk about damage. That's what some other Marth mains told me but none with the effort to record it themselves, so thanks for this video. And adding to what you said, more mix ups can never hurt.

Another mix up someone recommended is charging Shield Breaker, since many players' first instinct after a Jab Lock is to shield.

Even escapable ones are good vs characters who can't escape them, so there's that. DK for example is likely to eat all the 60%. Though, just to prove that it's reliable damage, I stuck to the simplest thing I could think of.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I was messing around with Marth the other day when I realised his soft fair might be a prattack at low %s. Here are some situational applications that I found which work in Battlefield (and potentially other platform stages).

From my testing, it doesn't work past 2% on the fastest fallers. These combos aren't optimal either. But, it's just food for thought (and discussion).

I feel like it can give a Marth player a very good advantage early in the game if it starts with a 30% or higher lead as well as stage position.

No testing has been done for Lucena.
This reminds me of the so called "Battlefield Combo", where Marth does a similar thing involving Up Throwing the opponent to the top platform and locking them with Dolphin Slash - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaUPwipM9hw

Top Bottom