• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs. Zelda help

Marth vs. Zelda who wins

• Total voters

R0NN0C

Smash Rookie
I'm still pretty new to this game and have been practicing my wave dashing and l canceling and things like that, but when I play against my friend when I use Marth and he uses Zelda he usually beats me because he will get me off the stage some how and then he will put fire balls on Marths sweet spot to get back on the stage and I can't figure out how to get past it. What should I be doing to beat him? Any match up help for this would be great. Thank You.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I think you need to do your best to keep Zelda grounded and poke through her Nayru's love. I feel that the neutral air and Fair tipped should be able to poke right through the neutral B. Avoid the Dins Fire shots or swat them with your sword.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Zelda's neutral B has invincibility frames from frame 4-13 on the ground and 5-12 in the air, so if your trying to poke through it, time your hitbox so it's out slightly before the attack frames of nayru's love come out, that way you'll either trade with it or if you've spaced well, straight out punish it. It trades poorly for zelda since the multihits at the beginning only deal 1 damage.

Marth can truly out zone and out maneuver zelda with his great disjoint and decent mobility. Zelda needs to rely on the opponent making a mistake to gain momentum because her mobility is so poor. The thing for marth in this match up is patience. Be elusive, be nimble and be cool. Try dash dancing, pivoting, or wavedashing back. Anything that baits out a move from Zelda will leave her wide open for you. But you're going to feel very gay and campy doing this, until you've mastered your punish game combos.

Don't be discouraged! You have superior tools for zelda, you just have to match a zelda main's proficiency with making reads

T-Murder

Smash Apprentice
Spacing, is the key with Marth and especially in the Marth x Zelda matchup. i had success by playing very campy even though Marth is usually an argro character..

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Somewhat... late/necro but... For this matchup... I generally use Marth's movement and speed to full effect. Dash dancing/wavedashing to bait out Naryu's Love is what I usually go for. The endlag of that attack is stupid ridiculous. You *almost* have time to grab a cup of coffee, come back, and then punish. From there just give her that tip, tip, tip. And don't forget to ease up if chasing her in tumble. It's easy to get greedy and mistake her for being stuck helplessly in hit stun when in reality, your opponent is waiting for you to try to continue comboing so they can give you that good old star foot. (You can also bait the sh*t outta that) They'll usually follow that up with Din's Fire since she's too slow to chase usually, depending on your percentage. Marth can bob and weave through these easily... and cut through them like butter (?) with his sword.

From a neutral position I also try to bait out the twinkle toes, cause, once again, you know they're gonna go for it pretty frequently. Good spacing gives you an easy punish for any whiffed feets. Follow through with some BnB's but the key is to learn when to back off. Trading with the feet is no bueno for Marth cause it will usually knocks you back far enough for her to set up a defensive zone.

Basically... play a more... cautiously aggressive game against Zelda and you can't lose. Oh and teleports for Zelda give her a bit of extra mobility. They allow her to pop in on your waving and the dashing of the dancing pretty easily. So be mindful of that as well. And with her being able to air dodge out of it from the ground, she has extra options to get in on you. Generally it's not a huge deal, but just something extra to be mindful of.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
FYI Zelda does NOT want to be above you, at all, ever. She has poor recovery options when above you, as throwing out Din's can be easily nullified or avoided, you should be able to predict and outrange her Dair, and that Farore's Wind can be punished during startup lag as well as the reappear hit (note: this hit is possibly being coined as the term "Teleburn" for clarity's sake, since it has a fire effect when it hits the opponent) can be shielded and punished

Top Bottom