• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Wolf

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
This is more annoying than against metaknight. Those lasers are so slow but it's really hard to short hop over them. He likes to throw them up high too so when I jump I get hit into it. It turns into mind games at that point. What's the best way to get through this crap? The second I get close, he just rolls back or past me. My best bet is perfect shield and perfect forward airs so he cant grab me and I can get into close range. It's hard though.

Any tips / ideas? It's weird but marth isn't so bad up close. I'd rather be in next to him.

Edit:

Okay after playing for awhile, it's still really annoying. The second I see Wolf jump to throw a laser in the air, I'm running underneath it. Marth is more of a mid ranged character now that really can put on the heat so I'm trying to get to that right spacing. Those perfect shields though allow for quick grabs when spamming of the fair so aggression unfortunately has to be conrolled a bit but I still say keep pushing as hard as you can. A nair also does two hits and wouldnt allow a perfect shield (unless the guy is crazy good and perfect shields twice which I'm not even sure if its possible). The problem with the nair is that its tilted more in this one. He also swings from higher on his body. His short hop feels a little higher too so it makes it harder to hit characters on the ground with it.

As for dash dancing... Technically you can do it. It's a bit slower and harder to do so I'm still getting the feel for it. Since you can dash forward continiously basically you dash forward then do a quick forward then back. So its forward.... forward back instead of just your standard forward back. If i can get this down, it lets me get position on his rolls.

Wolf is pretty easy to fight in the air. He's easy to combo and he's not that hard to get off the ledge and keep off the ledge. Projectiles is what's killing me. It's what gave me so many problems against Peach in ssbm.

Edit #2:

I'm not sure if this was a fault of mine in Melee (it probably was) but this game seems to really allow Marth to play on the ground a lot better. His forward B if done correctly (which is easy to do but sometimes the timing messes me up) can spam people's shields and put you in a safe place to be in after they block it. This is a really good move! Allows marth close range. You always want to stay from grabbing range though.

Marth's forward b swipe is super fast. It's also great for throwing people's timing off. If you hit the first forward b it looks like there is a pretty big window to hit the second forward b gauranteed.

Anyhoo for going through his lasers this time I just made sure I stayed on the ground with him. I just walked through the lasers (I got good at perfect shielding them so if I need to break out of an attack fast if he pulls something he' s not supposed to be :) trying to get at reach for a forward b or quick fair. What my problem was before is that he would roll behind me at this point and had leverage. You can turn around so fast with a forward b plus you get that stuff spamming before he finishes his roll, he's pretty much going to feel some heat. Just chase him down if he rolls away.

Oh yeah, Wolf's recovery isnt that great. There's a good delay before he can pull of his recovery moves. So if you can hall balls out there, go swipe at him. Marth is great for that. fair at extreme recovery = death Its easy to get back. Get him off the map. That's the easiest place to fight him.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I agree with most of your tips, dancing blade is too good now. Great for chasing rollers/spot dodgers and also decent for tech chasing.

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
Ahh yeah I noticed how you jumped up then went forward. I did have a tendency to jump forward into the laser too often.

That wolf never jump / lasered tho. I don't understand why you could hit him with those fairs on the ground. He should have been able to avoid those. Also that first spike looked weird, I'm guessing he just barely missed the edge so you could spike?

Nice spike at the end, though :)

Yeah forward b is crazy good for rollers :) You can run as fast as they roll and since you can turn around so fast with a forward b, rolling behind you doesn't even work too well.

I've gotten around it for the most part now, it was just frustrating for a day or two. Always felt like I'd jump and the laser would come from the air, and if I didn't it would be at the bottom.

Perfect shielding is really easy you should give it a try with easy spam like that. If he throws a laser when you're too close (basically if he throws 2 as you walk towards him), if you perfect shield it I think you can get a guaranteed hit in but don't quote me on that. The main reason I like to do it though is because it trains my brain to hear that chime and instant react. I try and do it as often as I can because I know if I ever hit a perfect shield the other guy should be in trouble unless he manages to perfect shield too (and most time I dont think thats even possible and if it does happen, you can always just grab the fool)

Wolf's air is pretty weak and slow (at least vs Marth). His fair and stuff is nothing compared to Marth's so once you can get Wolf on the defense, it seems hard for a Wolf player to get away from. Aggressive aggressive aggressive :) I think Wolf's attacks are too slow personally.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
did marths range get bigger? seems like it. also i was going to not main him because of the way i would get so mad for his bad recovery but it seems like dolhpin slash actually recovers this time!

lol

Top Bottom