• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

marth vs samus ( need advice tell me what to improve on my vid)

AznShadoW

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afUcqRGPs40
heres a vid of me (vic)marth vs (ww)samus, i dun really like facin samus so i dun really know a good way to knock samus out cause its just too anoyin for me and its bomb jumps o_O? so tell me a good way to beat it plz and tell em wat to improve on
and i cant belive i forgot 1 improtant move to knock out samus while its up+b, its bcause i didint down aerial!!

MC Mike

Smash Journeyman
Well if it works for you then there must not be anything wrong with it. hmm. Its probly jus my computer being gay. Ill try it again later.

uremog

Smash Ace
you rely on WD fsmash for everything, even when you don't even need to WD. i think you need to learn how to be a fair ***** at least a little bit. what are you doing midscreen when he's recovering? telling him "i'm not gonna edgehog since i'm too far away?" it worked for you this time, but it won't against better players. search for the thread about tips against samus, there's one with a lot of good tips, including against recovery.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Definitely work on spacing and sweetspotting the edge. You used far too many f-smashes and not enough shffls/aerials. Try using some tilts instead of the f-smash. You should throw in a grab or so to keep your opponent off-balance. Your mindgames could use a little work as well, but that's just practice. Edgeguarding Samus is difficult, but it can be done with a proper approach. Just keep at it and remember to be patient when facing a Samus.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I don't get it. The players who ask for advice about this matchup are always Marth players.

You didn't use Marth's fair once. That move pretty much single-handedly ***** Samus. You didn't really try to edge-guard, either. It's not too tough to hit her while she's bomb-jumping, especially since all of Marth's aerials have disjointed hitboxes.

You use the fsmash way, way too much. If you use it against a grounded Samus, she can either CC it or WD out of her shield into... honestly, pretty much whatever she wants.

Marth beats Samus. If you're having a hard time killing her, just be patient and keep her at bay until you can utilt her to death.

Pablo18

Smash Journeyman
flagged up poppin dat 18 street in Long Island....
well...to start off you tend to wavedash badly, whenever you would run at him you wavedash backwards and then f-smash, since Marth's wavedash is a tad bit long by the time you f-smash you miss leaving open to one of your friends down-b into arial combo. I suggest you either run at him wavedash bachwards then foward in order to succesfully hit him with your f-smash. Don't do this too often because it will eventually become predictable and/or your friend will catch on. also when your edge gaurding you shouldnt just wait for him to completly recover and then you f-smash, this wont work almost half of the time, mainly because you tend to get too far away (not often) and samus's up-b leaves him unvulnerable for a short time. i suggest you edgehog alot more and when he gets too close you fall off and dair, i saw you do it once the whole match (not enough) although you missed that time once you master the timimg that will work almost all of the time.
ps: your not a bad player at all keep practicing, also your friend has a good samus. keep up the great smashin

flaco

The Terminator
Well just for novice users um a swipe of marths sword breaks the missels also the shot you could side step it or counter down b,caution there is 1% of getting hit with the big shot.Try to space him use marth range also do jc grabs often.remember samus grab is long but slow abuse the fairs and nair.

AznShadoW

Smash Journeyman
ok... i know i forgot lots of things, my aerials and down aerials when he about to up+b, and yes i was sayin i hate samus so much i dun know what to do my to keep doing smash x_x that match mightbeen nooby for me but im much better when not facin samus. would be good if any of u can get a vid of u playin marth agaisnt a good samus. thx for help ill try to practice more agaisnt my cous samus and try more aerials and grabs isntead of simple smashs that i keep geting into my mind

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
A few things I noticed, you should try playing matches without Fsmashing at ALL. That should help tremendously in playing a much better Marth even if you just noobed it up because you were playing a good samus. Learn the Fair, learn the sh double Fair, learn how to pleasure the Fair, and learn to fast-fall SH Nairs. No point in leaving Nairs out after you have finished swinging.

I really think the Fsmash is what cost you here. There were a lot of times you could just stay just out of Samus' range and just sh double Fairs and Standing still sh Nairs to keep him frustrated rather than rushing in with a Fsmash. Once you get the hang of SH double Fairs, using the C-stick for the second Fair enables you to DI backwards during this avoiding Samus' CC dtilt.

The key to this matchup is the spacing. you want to stay just in sword range and never be far enough so that the samus is comfortable with shooting missiles or charges. Something I like to do against Samus' who do not missile cancel is to stay just out of range and DashDance to anything. If they go for a missile you can usually do a dash forward attack followed up by anything or a jump-canceled grab before the missile is released.

Your friend was alright, if he could learn to sweetspot and missile-cancel he would be much more deadly. Missile canceling is just either right before landing from a jump to missile (you want the missile shot though) or doing it after dropping a bomb. He seemed to be showing off for the tv with the homing throw alot, I even saw a super WD. If you want to help him out as well as yourself give him those ideas.

AznShadoW

Smash Journeyman
ok.... ill try to post a better vid of my marth with my cous samus when i think i imporve thx for advice

flaco

The Terminator
Aznshadow dont lisen to that fool.He told you not to use the foward smash lol thats Marth best move.Use it but don get predictable with it also learn jc grabs and wd.With marths foward smash you could destroy samus missels also try to tip her.

SmashPhysics

Smash Cadet
1. You have to be more alert. I think everytime that samus would di back to the level he would use a charged b. And you would get hit by it everytime! You should try and predict what he is going to do.
2. Don't get cocky and try to go for a spike that you know if you miss youll die.
3. As almost everyother person said you should be using more of marth's aerial attacks, preferably the forward a and the back a(while hanging on to the ledge)
4. Lay off the c-stick and try to perform more tilt attacks.
5. Try to use you jump wisely while recovering. You didn't recover when you could have (the end of your third life).
6. Try to know when to use the right move. For example whenever the samus was doing the EXTENDERRRRRR you would go in for a grab. Personally i don't think that is the best thing to do. I wouldve just charged up a fsmash.

AznShadoW

Smash Journeyman
OK... ill try and since u tell me not to trust him, then who should i trust then o_O

flaco

The Terminator
Well lisen to people who know what they are talking about.Not that guy he told you not to use the foward smash thats marth best move.Well take it from me I am a marth expienced marth and I could handle samus yea she gots pojectlies but there not big deal.

wongster

Smash Rookie
it doesn't take a f-smash to kill samus missles, it has waaay too much lag time, use your neutral a or side a

also, try different edgeguards, fsmash isn't the only one. Samus's recovery is pretty screwed if you can hit her before she gets back to the stage, so if you hop off the stage and feed her a charged neutral b that usually works for me. Also, a well timed sh fast falled down smash will counter her up b and send her flying down.... although that thing works better w/ fox and falco :S. Theres also that funny off-stage counter edgeguard but i've never been able to do that very well.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
the way to improve your marth is very simple.

you have to realise that marth is more than just using mindgames and getting lucky with fsmash.

each of his aerials and moves have a different placement, and its often better to work into a combo of aerials to increase percentages, than to just fsmash and then rely on edgeguarding.

AznShadoW

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlFqIi6HDRc
well its my first time with window movie maker so hope its a bit good, hope this vid shows that my marth improve a lil at least o_O, im gonna have a final version of this vid cause its my first time so yea its short and maybe not enough combos, so ill have my friends do more vids, so ima change most of the things especially the credits o_o

flaco

The Terminator
azn why doesent your friend doesent tech?It would be harder to those combos if he teched.Well I will advice your friend to tech.

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
00:05
You wavedashed straight into the smash. not a good idea. You don't always have to be fancy, just get the job done. you should have done a forward-tilt-a.

00:06
You wavedashed straight into the charge beam. also not a good idea. you should have jumped then fast-falled a f-air.
01:14
You stood there and let samus hit you with a charge beam. You should have either shielded, or done your counter, (down-b) for safety. also, you could have just jumped, so in case he got back on stage you could fast-fall a n-air or a f-air.

1:55
good job. you edge-hogged and let him fall to his death. Do this when you get the chance.

2:20
you could have done a up-tilt a attack to get rid of the missile. You do know that marths little rapid swipes and tilts can destroy the missiles right? No? Well now you do.

2:52
You could have gotten a free f-smash but instead you ROLLED. When you see an open spot for a free hit, take it!

4:06
STOP STANDING AND LETTING SAMUS HIT YOU WITH A CHARGE BEAM.

What you need to work on:
Quit standing around with the lead up your butt. second, quit getting HIT 'cause you have the lead up your butt. But seriously, stop standing around, i've seen a few spots where you could sidestep dodge or counter or shield or jump, basically meaning, QUIT STANDING AROUND! Oh, and one final note......

GET THE LEAD OUTTA YOUR REAREND!!!!

CStick

Smash Lord
In Summary, work on everything and spam aerials more because that fsmash sh*t is too easy to get around. You're Marth! Aerial=good!

flaco

The Terminator
Also you seem to be missing a lot of l cancels you missed them thats why you got hit or grabbed worked on your l cancels also like they said your wd is bad timming dont use it when you dont need to my friend so try to practice that,also learn jc grabs for better results of the match.

ch00

Smash Cadet
I can understand why you fsmash samus as much as you do, considering the fact that samus is really really REALLY annoying. :mad: You just want to see the biatch get hurt...I know I do...to bad there isn't any blood in smash or gore even...anyways..

In the end, its much more satisfing to see the **** flying around after you fair her fat *** into an uptilt...double fair or nair.. as long as you keep your feet off the ground whith sweet SHFFLed aerials as much as you can, you'll be fine

I thought the samus you played isn't bad at all..you aren't bad at all either..but with a different approach ( from the air ) you can effectively send her to hell where she belongs.

lol when I saw that vid it really pissed me off again especially when I saw her shooting her stupid litte rockets and playing with her stupid electrical thingy...god I hate that woman !
My smashbud mains samus and he really loves her....I dont know why, shes fat and she is ugly and she smells..I HATE HER !

flaco

The Terminator
I can understand why you fsmash samus as much as you do, considering the fact that samus is really really REALLY annoying. :mad: You just want to see the biatch get hurt...I know I do...to bad there isn't any blood in smash or gore even...anyways..

In the end, its much more satisfing to see the **** flying around after you fair her fat *** into an uptilt...double fair or nair.. as long as you keep your feet off the ground whith sweet SHFFLed aerials as much as you can, you'll be fine

I thought the samus you played isn't bad at all..you aren't bad at all either..but with a different approach ( from the air ) you can effectively send her to hell where she belongs.

lol when I saw that vid it really pissed me off again especially when I saw her shooting her stupid litte rockets and playing with her stupid electrical thingy...god I hate that woman !
My smashbud mains samus and he really loves her....I dont know why, shes fat and she is ugly and she smells..I HATE HER !
um dude have you heard of anger managment or rage,also your post didnt proff nothing stop wasting badwith gtfo.Hes marth fsmash thats his style of play and he needs to work on that but he dont need you around having uselles post trying to get points.

ch00

Smash Cadet
lol flaco don't take my post to seriously :) My smashbuddy mains samus and I play against her all the time. If you read between the lines I was suggesting not to overuse fsmash but use it ocasionally and I suggested that he should use more aerials instead of fsmashing all the time, like everybody did in this thread. I really wanted to help the guy, but instead to repeat other replies and being to obvious, I thought it was funny to reply like I did...I guess we have a different kind of humor don't we :chuckle:

And I don't care at all about my postcount tbh..lf there are any mods reading this...I allow you to reduce my postcount to 1 or 0 even..there are even more important things in my life besides my postcount so go ahead :psycho:

so lighten up a little my friend ;)

Ironclad

Smash Apprentice
Maybe a Samus player's perspective would help you out a bit.

Marth is by far one of the hardest opponents for me to face. A good Marth will barely be slowed down by projectiles at all, almost every attack he does can get rid of them easily. That charge beam shot may look big and scary, but one simple swipe and it's gone. The sword can be used to detonate the morph ball bombs without getting hurt.

Like the others said, abuse the aerials a lot and she'll have a hard time even staying on her feet. Being up in the air above Marth is a horrific position for any Samus player. Try to keep your distance and don't use attacks like the dash + A because if she shields them she can get you with the spin attack very easily.

Trying to spike Samus is not a good idea, morph ball form gives her excellent air manueverability and is hard to hit with the right part of the attack, the better option is usually to jump out and hit with a charged B attack, or stay on the ledge and try to land an fsmash before she grabs it.

flaco

The Terminator
hay guys you want to know when to use your c-stick
whenever you get close to a oppent and when your oppent has high
damage :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :embarrass
um not to messed with you but thats not and advice even a noob knows that.I hope you dont find insulting but nice try.

sup

Smash Cadet
Hey flaco tru that,yo um dude what are you doing.These place is to help people not joke around you should be band,anyway flaco whats up.

Top Bottom