• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Samus Guide (tweaked June 8th 2006)

Volasko

Smash Ace
Ok this all started a few months back when bored at work I decided to help someone out who was having problems with Samus. The original 800 word post can be seen here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.p...522#post1170522
Anyways recently I have been having lots of problems with Samus so I decided to turn my original post into a mini-guide for just dealing with Samus. Its a bit of a long read but I believe I have covered most of the situations pretty well. Anyways Im curious to see what others think and hopefully we can continue to add to this and maybe(if time permits) I can create other Character specific guides for Marth.

NEW AND IMPROVED SAMUS GUIDE

I probably have more matches against my buddies samus with my marth than any other match up, so ill lend my advice on this topic to the best of my abilities.

Note:: Marth is all about his range and his ability to space himself properly to take advantage of it. This guide is for those very specific situations that only really come up while facing Samus. They are not intended to replace Marth tried and true range game, just suggestions on how to deal with Samus and her crazy bag'o'tricks.
Enjoy,

Dealing with Projectiles:
Samus will most likely be spamming missles and charged shots because marth doesnt have a long range game. The best solution of missles are IMO f-tilts and N-attacks(quickest move if standing still). You can walk(not dash) towards a missle/charge shot spamming samus and f-tilt through the missles.. They come from the bottom and have a huge sweeping hitbox, plus its a clash animation which means you have no lag after the clash(you will then have the frame advantage), so you can just swing again. It is to be noted that a f-tilt will cancel everything but a fully charged shot, so be weary of that. When recovering, dont be predictable!! Try to save your second jump so you can quickly jump over/away from her missles/charged shots. F-airs work well for chopping through missles, this helps to give u the frame advantage and forces samus to be defensive/evasive. Also I tip I have found is that if Im recovering and the samus is tossing all sorts of firepower at me, instead of watching your self, watch the samus. You will be able to see exaclty whats coming and how to react. I find it easier to dodge when I am focusing on her, with Marth in my peripheral vision. There is nothing more frustrating than getting edgegaurded while the biatch is on the other side of the MAP!!

Grabbing:
When you do get a grab on her always throw her forward. If you can catch your opponent off gaurd and thus DIing poorly(wont happen often when facing pros) usually a f-throw can lead to a f-smash tipper. In most cases your opponent will be DIing away from you so then follow up with some offensive airials or a WDed f-smash(if her life gets high enough so she cant DJ away, around %80 +). She is just too floaty for any other direction. You can throw her up when she is at low percentage, and follow up with some shuffled u-airs, but she might be able just double jump out of range, so this is situational. Marths grab game isnt nearly as good as other chars just because you cannont combo samus out of a grab due to her floatyness.

What to do with her CC:
Samus is the heaviest character, thus she has one of the best CC's in the game. It is extremely frustrating to deal with. The best solution to this is jump cancled grabs out of a dash dance(DD). The idea of the DD is to fake out samus into doing a d-smash, by dashing in and out of her range. When she misses you can punish her in the lag after the d-smash by doing a wavesmash(IMO the quickest way to punish anyone at moderate distance away from you). Also Marth is all about range, you need to learn to exploit this to the best of your abilities. F-tilts and N-attacks are a real good way of keeping samus at bay without leaving your self open. F-b combos dont work for a CC samus, unless you can catch her off gaurd in the air or not CCing. Another good trick for a CC sammy is too do SHUFFLed f-airs but hold the shoulder button after the L-cancel as this will bring your shield up ASAP. The idea is that you know Samus is gonna absorb the hit and counter with a smash/tilt(down or forward), and u wanna predict that by sheilding the smash ASAP and sheild grabbing her in the lag.

Husband Pro Tip: If you find that the samus is CC your double f-air SH approaches and countering with D-smashes/tilts you can try this. Instead of doing your second f-air, double jump away from samus to dodge her CCed counter move and punish with a FFed d-air while she is in her smash/tilt lag. Also because the d-air is a spike she cannot CC it, so you will have the frame advantage when you land. This is a great mind game as its essentially a counter to a counter(the first counter being samus CCing ur approach) and will get your opponent double thinking if CCing is even worth it, and that is always a good thing ;) . You can see Husbands original advice in post 13.

Edgegaurding:
The one good thing about playing samus is that you will improve your edgegaurding skills very fast just because she is soo hard to edgegaurd. You have to use every trick in the book with her; ledge-dropped b-airs, jumping charged b's, double jumped f-airs, ledgehogging, ledgedopped to d-air back to stage, and of course the usual d-tilts and fsmashes. Remember that once she uses her plasma beam once she has to touch the ground to get it back. If you see going for the plasma beam, try a ledgedropped b-air(practis this timing as it can get u killed if you drop to low) to swat her away then ledgehog because she has to u-b recover. Marth has the best edgegaurding game and samus has the best recovery so this usually ends up being a long cat and mouse game. As much as I love Marth's spike(d-air) its pretty hard to pull on samus as an approach attack. She will usually be too far away to safely to this. Also if she is above you and you try and double jump to d-air, she can counter with her d-air and will own with its massive range and power. Just full jump to f-air when under her to take advantage of weakness underneath(this weakness is explained in General Tips and Notes). A general rule i like to follow, if she is recovering from above the ledge, stay on the stage and use jumping f-airs, charged b's, jumping b-airs, d-tilts and f-smashes to edgegaurd. If she is bomb jumping below the ledge i like to drop down to the ledge and use ledgedropped b-air's, ledgedropped d-airs to stage, and ledgehogging to get the kills. Watch out though for the plasma beam, if your hangin and she hits you with it IMMEDIATLY use your up-B, dont go for the slower f-b to up-b, as usually samus will already be on the ledge and you will get counter edgehogged. You can always keep ledgedropping to 2nd jump back to ledge as this will give you your invincibility frame back, practis the timing though.

General Tips and Notes:
Marth's Air game >> Samus's air game. Your range owns samus in the air. Lots of Fast falled, l-cancled airials help contol the match(especially SHUFFLed F-airs as there is basically no lag so u cant be punished) by keeping her in the air. Always try to keep her airborn as this takes away from her ground/CCing/projectile spamming game. She has a big weakness underneath her as her d-air is very laggy. You can easily full jump/double jump to f-air/u-air underneath a falling samus, as she wont have enough time to d-air. This helps rack up the damage. Its a hard matchup no doubt, but once you take away her projectile game with walking f-tilts, youll find it gets much easier.
I was always under the impression that Marth>Samus from what I have read in other treads (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60031), but from experience its a pretty even match up. Remember, Samus has one of the laggyest shield grabs, thats why they resort to CCing to Dsmash, so L-cancel every airial and block as best as possible, then punish in thier lag. Also I find Wave-shielding (wavedashing into/out of a shield) works wonders if you u wanna play the reactive game. Just wave shield right up to her, block the melee attack and sheild grab. If you see her going for the laggy grab just spot dodge it and punish in her lag (WDing back into a tipper is nice, or even a sweetspotted dolphin Slash :chuckle: )

Just trying to be complete but this is another lil trick I found to add to the collection of options marth has. I have noticed is that when samus is bomb jumping back to the stage she can be very predicatble as ur opponent will be trying to use the bombs and hence in a predicatable spot for a few frames. If you can pick up on this and are fast enough you can intercept her right after her bomb jump and go for a d-air. The idea is that if you time it right you will hit her just after she comes off her bomb and finish her then. The beauty of this is that if you time it right you will just FF right into her bomb canceling your d-air lag and allowing u to f-b back to stage with ease. Now it does take some getting used to as Samus can fake you out by DIing left and right as she Bombjumps but its just somethign to consider if you have an extra stock(or two ;) ) and dont mind the risk if it means u can finish the match right then and there.

This all started from one simple request and now has turned into a pretty solid guide against samus. Im looking for any tips people want to add that I may have missed, as I still am having problems dealing with Samus as well and I'm looking for anything that will help.

Thanks for reading,
V

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Even better lets make a new thread called Character specific strategies for Marth!

Husband

Smash Lord
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have a guide.... Look.

Husband's Marth vs Samus Guide-

Keep Attacking Her

Btw- Not to be mean but your "Buddy" is Joe Suckenstien where as my "Buddy" is ORO who I basically live with. Just attack the *****

Volasko

Smash Ace
I think husband hates me lol

edit: Husband gets the official Volasko award for cockiest smasher in the universe. Its funny how any advice that is given that isnt husband approved is automatically deemed ****, Im sorry i dont play azen or oro or joe gaybags but it still doent mean that other people wont be able to use the basic advice to help them.

Husband

Smash Lord
lol, i love volasko.

HAHAHAHA @ Joe gaybags. If you named Azen and Oro, does that mean by default that Wife is Joe Gaybags??? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Some of your **** was ok but some was arguable. I dont argue anymore here because no one really listens. But since I'm bored at work I have to post so I just make fun and flame ppl. But seriously, thanks for the effort and yes, some of your **** does work and is good on samus.

I have a question for you. When your Buddy CC's, what move does he do after that and what move of yours is he CCing?

Volasko

Smash Ace
ROLF no no I joe gaybags wasnt refering to anyone specifically, but if you wanna name wife as mr. gaybags im down hahahahah

As for your question usually my friend (Snow Blind on SWFs) will retaliate usually with a d-tilt or d-smash and sometimes f-smash if the move she CCed has lag (like a non tippered f-smash or dash attack). And the moves that she CC's the most are when I approach with SHed airials like fairs or nairs. Though I tend to use alot of f-tilts when facing samus so when I miss the tip I get CC punished for that too.

respect to the @ work SWFs hahah this site gets me through those boring office days....

Husband

Smash Lord
Volasko said:
will retaliate usually with a d-tilt or d-smash And the moves that she CC's the most are when I approach with SHed airials like fairs .
Exactly! So if you know that she is doing this (Assuming you know how to SH doulbe F-air) You run in, SH F-air but INSTEAD of F-airing AGAIN, JUMP and her D-tilt and D-smash Wont be able to hit you and you might even be able to come down on her with a D-air.
SINCE your D-air is a spike, she cant CC it so you should be doing that to her a lot too. This **** works SO well and I just started doing it recently so I dont know ALL the options from it but I know it works. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Hmmm interesting stuff, I tend to use the f-air late though and FF it as the approach so I dont have time after to DJ away from the tilt of smash. But this is a cool counter when doign the first F-air of a double fair SH

Edit: ok after seeing Wife's picture at that gaming lessions.com site, I take back my comment about it not being about anyone in particular, cause that pic makes him the new joe gaybags.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Husband

Smash Lord
^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHAT A NOOB! Lets see, looks like you just joined the boards April of this year...... You must be really good!!! ..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT A LOSER!

Volasko

Smash Ace
Updated guide a little, added some more points in the grabbing section, and added a Husband Pro tip in the Crouch Canceling section

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
nice guide, seems like we have the same problems with samus.

Husband, that is a sweet *** tip, I never thought about that.

EDIT- sorry didn't mean to double post, SWF said i couldn't post within 30 seconds and didn't show that i had posted before.

Volasko

Smash Ace
Cra$hman said:
are you kidding you guys need a guide to fight samus? just fair and don't get CC'd
ignorant comments like these drive me nuts, why not just respond to every thread requesting help by saying "just stop losing, its the easiest way to win!!"
totally useless....

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice guide Volasko.

I can tell from the content of this thread that Husband has a very big internet *****.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
i'm just saying if you need help vs the characters you counter i don't know whats gonna happen when you guys fight a sheik.

p.s. if you guys want i can make a guide to fighting bowser for you

Banned via Administration
Cra$hman said:
i'm just saying if you need help vs the characters you counter i don't know whats gonna happen when you guys fight a sheik.

aHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Volasko

Smash Ace
Cra$hman said:

I dunno about samus being countered by marth, I guess its pretty stage dependant but on FD I think its really **** close, like 50/50.

I will agree with you on that one that we need a sheik guide instead. Tthis guide kinda just happened unintentially one day when I spent TOO much time trying to help someone who requested samus help. Then I thought to just tweak it a bit and make it a guide. But yeah maybe one day ill throw out a guide for shiek too, cause its my most played matchup.

uremog

Smash Ace
haha, nonono, the bowser challenge? the one where you fight 3 bowsers 3v1 no team dmg. you're not supposed to win. it was a joke (see the laughy face?). but a vs shiek guide would be something. i always either barely get by or i get mangled (i.e. if the opponent's same level or better than me) be shiek.

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
Lol, I think that was my topic that was the original samus help thread. Yea, I'm having more problems this samus, he caught on to the whole SH Fair double jump approach and is now VERY WD happy. In and out of shields, ****, drives me nuts. Did I mention he can SWD?

Some pointers against a sheik:

Believe it or not, we can combo her just as much as she can combo us, just not as consitently >_>; If she's at 0 percent, grab to forward throw to another grab has about a 90 percent chance of not failing. After you grab her again, just throw her up and spam up-tilts, and if she gets too high, change it up to Fairs. People say that sheik has a superior air game to Marth, but i disagree... Your Fair owns her, just remember, like all of Marth's arials, the lag afterwards can get you killed if you miss. Once you get to the more competative level, the Marth vs Sheik game is a little more even, but she still has the advantage because of needles and combo-ability.

Speaking of Needles... If you're good, and she only has 3 or less needles, you can swat them with an Fair. Yes, I said it, you can swat her needles, Ftilt works too BTW. But SH needles... those are hard to avoid. Just jump up, and make sure you are out of the line of fire, because you can easily take advantage of her with an arial when she shoots more than 2.

Edgeguarding Sheik... She is so easy to edgeguard, it's not even funny. All you have to remember is she WILL have landing lag from her UpB. So if she's off the edge, just edge-hog, and when she come over you, just come up and Fsmash her back off the edge. Trust me, you WILL have time, about a full second after her landing. Rinse, repeat, it's that easy, but takes a little getting used to.

Remember, once you get her with one attack, DO NOT LET GO. Just spam spam spam, dont let her out because she can do the same to you but much worse.

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
I have a problem trying to get back on stage. When I am flying offstage and coming back with B>, my friend can time his missiles and charged plasma perfectly, so that I get hit in mid-air. Sometimes I waste my jump to dodge the missle, but another missle comes and I get pwned. Any tips?

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
I know, but when I'm B>-ing back to the stage, his missle will hit me. If I jump, I waste my jump and another missile will hit me. If I airdodge, iImiss the ledge. If I B^, I will miss the ledge, another missle will hit me, a charge plasma will hit me, or he will smash me when I grab the edge.

uremog said:
save your jump until you get close to the stage.
I said that I sometimes jump to dodge the missle. Usually, I do save the jump, but before I get to do that, he will missle me to death while I B> back to the stage.

Top Bottom