• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Puff

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Yesterday a puff beat me in bracket, so I'm trying to understand how I should think about this matchup against mid-level puffs. These are my thoughts so far.

I think stage space is really important for Puff, but she still has OK ledge options if she's willing to camp. Marth can go for a read, but doesn't have any safe options for forcing Puff off the ledge. He can punish Puff after she gets back on by outspacing whatever she commits to. Puffs goal is to take center stage because stage space is way more valuable for Marth, and has to camp at the ledge to mask when they're going to go for it.

It's kind of annoying because while I want Puff to get off the ledge, I also need to keep her on the ledge because her options aren't as good as they are in center stage. Retreating fairs are good at the time she wants to move into center stage. She can beat retreating fair by landing outside of retreating fair range, and then can play ground game or move in. Coming off the ledge, she needs to use multiple jumps to get bair at a good height and to turn around. If Puff turns around then she's probably going to bair you, so if they bair you while they're at the ledge then they'll only have three jumps left. So it's a lot more likely that they'll try to land on the stage with a fair or nothing if you give her enough room.

Utilt rest is strong. You can beat it by shield grabbing before the rest. I'm not sure what spacings they can still go for the utilt if they're facing toward you. Depending on their spacing they can also go for grab, so you can't just shield every time. It seems Puff's really like to start off with utilt rest on FD, so you should run up and shield on FD if they have a port that puts them close to you. I'm not sure if it's that common but the last two Puffs have only done that on FD.

The mixups aren't in Marth's favor at close range. He has to choose between shield, retreating rising fair, roll, wavedash out of shield, and grab. If Puff is consistently pushing you to the ledge then you're messing up in neutral. You could be dash dancing away too much, or rolling or doing retreating fairs too much. If you're playing neutral better than your opponent, then Puff is pushed to the ledge. So the hardest part of this matchup is teaching yourself to be happy when they're ledge stalling against you.

While Puff is in the air, I really think you need to split your decision making process into 1) Is she facing toward you? 2) Is she in the air? 3) If she's in the air, does she want to be at dash height, standing height, or above you? I think there is probably more nuance to this, like whether she's above you at a range that can be threatened by retreating fair, neutral rising fair or approaching fair, and then whether she is going for retreating bairs.

At mid percent you can mix up dash dance, side b utilt/fsmash, and rising fair. I need to learn kill percents for the side b punishes.

I'm going to come back to this post either tomorrow or the next day. I'm honestly still struggling with enjoying Puff being on the ledge.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Utilt rest is strong. You can beat it by shield grabbing before the rest.
How you gonna shield grab after you get popped up with utilt tho? You gotta avoid that before you gotta avoid the rest

Can dtilt force them off the ledge?
Sort of, but since Puff has so many jumps it doesn't do much.

Last edited:

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
How you gonna shield grab after you get popped up with utilt tho? You gotta avoid that before you gotta avoid the rest
Yeah, I meant before the utilt.

Sort of, but since Puff has so many jumps it doesn't do much.
Dtilt -> grab ledge -> bair/dair, or side b onto stage + fsmash if they want to go high could work.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Dtilt -> grab ledge -> bair/dair, or side b onto stage + fsmash if they want to go high could work.
You'd probably be better of using fair or just a well timed fsmash instead of grabbing ledge, it'd be much quicker. After a dtilt at certain percentages Puff could just quickly turn around bair and recover easily. Not to mention, dtilt can be CCd.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
You'd probably be better of using fair or just a well timed fsmash instead of grabbing ledge, it'd be much quicker. After a dtilt at certain percentages Puff could just quickly turn around bair and recover easily. Not to mention, dtilt can be CCd.
CC shouldn't be a threat while they're in the air. If they get hit by the dtilt, then they're going to be facing you. So like you said, they have to turn around using a jump. Assuming that they start instantly bairing, then you might be able to go for an fsmash if their spacing is predictable. Until they start doing that, fair or dtilt is probably safe, with fair giving up a little more space but covering more space above.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
CC shouldn't be a threat while they're in the air. If they get hit by the dtilt, then they're going to be facing you. So like you said, they have to turn around using a jump. Assuming that they start instantly bairing, then you might be able to go for an fsmash if their spacing is predictable. Until they start doing that, fair or dtilt is probably safe, with fair giving up a little more space but covering more space above.
Jigglypuff shouldnt be in the air against Marth. That MU has to be played on the ground for the purpose of CC. And I don't think it is safe to plan around someone being predictable. You should assume that your opponent is smarter than you in most cases.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff shouldnt be in the air against Marth. That MU has to be played on the ground for the purpose of CC. And I don't think it is safe to plan around someone being predictable. You should assume that your opponent is smarter than you in most cases.
I'm specifically talking about when they're ledge camping.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I'm specifically talking about when they're ledge camping.
Ahhhh, my mistake. Yeah dtilt is aight, but I wouldnt rely on it too heavily. The best option is to catch them slipping and get a tipper fsmash imo, but I know way more about Puff vs Marth than I do about Marth vs Puff.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
Ahhhh, my mistake. Yeah dtilt is aight, but I wouldnt rely on it too heavily. The best option is to catch them slipping and get a tipper fsmash imo, but I know way more about Puff vs Marth than I do about Marth vs Puff.
Gotcha, OK. Do you feel pressured when you're at the ledge against Marth? How do you usually get back to center?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Gotcha, OK. Do you feel pressured when you're at the ledge against Marth? How do you usually get back to center?
Fair and bair from ledge if they get too comfortable is something to look out for. Keep your distance when Puff is at the ledge, but keep the pressure high enough that they don't just camp you out (most Puffs likely will not do this). Keep a position that allows you to react to anything, whether it be a tipper fsmash, a dtilt, a grab, whatever. But don't get too close when you shouldn't be.

Top Bottom