• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Vs Mk

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Obviously you need to learn to buffer dashes out of grab releases on MK. If you have absolutely no MK to practice with, you can try wifi. Wifi helps with MUs you don't get to practice offline. The MK MU definitely takes a while to learn.
You need to react better. It's really important to have a good reaction time against Meta Knight. Mix it up better from the ledge. All you did was ledge jump and ledge hop. Marth's has the best regular get up from below 100 %. It's invincible from frames 1-30 and ends on frame 32, instead of the average being vulnerable for 4-5 frames.

Don't let yourself get cornered. If you're close to the edge, then the chances of getting offstage is much larger, which is bad against Meta Knight. So try to get to the center of the stage and corner MK himself. We can pressure MK very hard when we manage to corner him and force him to the ledge.

You need to space better your Fairs. As hard training as it requires, being close to perfect with your spaced Fairs is a must, as that changes them from being very punishable to close to unpunishable.

@ 0:42 you missed a crucial punishment and instead you rolled to the edge and got yourself gimped. Also, due to us being invincible from frame 1 during Up b you should up b if the opponents goes into your height during Up b.

@ 1:00 you should have just regular get up cause he was too far away to hit you out of that option and instead you ledge hopped and got punished for it.

@ 1:40 after killing the MK you should have IMMEDIATELY have left the ledge. You don't want to be there, especially not against him.

I'm too lazy to watch everything.

Because MK is such a hard MU to learn, I suggest you to go and read as many MU guides about the Marth MK MU as possible. There are some really good guides, like this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203056

Gike

Smash Cadet
-Obviously your airrelease follow-ups need improvement.

-The few times you had stage control you gave it up pretty fast.

-You whiffed too many aireals at close-mid range which leads to punishes, thus giving MK momentum, so practice spacing. Try to only throw out aireals if you know you'll hit the enemy(or his shield, tipper fair onshield is hard to punish).

-Too many dashes at close range ( You can't shield while in the initial dash animation).

-Work on your recovery! those two up-b gimps in the first match should not have happened. At 0:45 a quick dolphin slash would have secured your recovery and might have even stage-spiked MK. At this angle just up-b as soon as possible.

-Use your second jump only if you really have to, i saw Korn hitting you out of your sec jump which gave you trouble recovering.

-At 3:43 you tried to use neutral b to help getting back to the stage. You did it too fast though, while you still had mementum in the wrong direction. Wait for marth move a bit towards the stage and then use it in order to get the little boost.

-I personally think you should shield more. Marths oos options are great. If MKs tornado hits your shield just up-b out of it (given he does not hit you at the very top of your shield, in this case just keep shielding and wait for the tornado to end).

I hope this helps :).

e: smashkng replied while i was still writing! haha

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Actually Up b OoS against Tornado isn't always the best option because that stales one of Marth's better kill moves. I prefer Usmash OoS when I know the MK is going to land close to you.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
marth has two different get-up from the ledge animations.

When your damage is 1-99%, you have the ledge get-up smashkng was talking about and that you should throw in occasionally.

When your damage is 100%+, you have a different ledge get-up that is much slower and leaves you much more vulnerable.

Try out in training mode. Set your damage to 99% first, and do a ledge get-up. Then change it to 100% and do another ledge get-up, and you'll see the difference.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Dont move around and jump, just for the sake of it
you easily put yourself in really bad positions that way

you will stop doing when you get more comfortable with this match up
playing mk more is probably the only way to get rid of this

i even do it sometimes :)

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
one point not mentioned directly by anyone else, recover low. this is rule 1 in the marth/mk match-up. marth is food for hungry MKs when DJ and even out with the stage. that second stock showed that. the first one, you should've up-B sooner, but you recovered at relatively the correct height. the second one though, easy shuttle-loop. marth's DJ + up-B below the stage is near impossible to gimp. when you're even with the stage MK has like a million different traps and options to gimp you with.

Ereth

Murda Bidness
The best option for grab release while on the stage is probably tippered dash attack
also grab release to up-b kills at like 140

Top Bottom