• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Mario

Cressel

Smash Rookie
I really have no idea how to play against Mario. What should my main goal in the matchup be?
Is it better to play it safe and keep juggling him or is it easier to get him offstage early and edgeguard?
At neutral he was destroying me lmao. Like I'm sure this one guy just outplayed me but knowing what I have to do against Mario in general would be a good start. Because I wasn't too sure I tried playing it safe, every time I committed to something he punished me, but I just couldn't KO the Mario, got to 200% or something before I could take a stock.

What's good in neutral and what are some good setups I could use to get to a favorable position?

AirFair

Marth tho
I would guess that juggle with uthrow and uair is the best to get a good position, since the only good move he can come down with is nair. I have little to no matchup experience but that's just the first thought that I had.

Cressel

Smash Rookie
I guess, he can mixup with cape and/or fastfall dair but I should bait and punish. l probably just have to play the safe stage control and focus on not letting mario in, no early kills or any kind of secret to it.

Mario can cover up his recovery with fireballs to not let you steal the edge at the last second, I could maybe bait that and run off and bair when he throws the fireball? iunno. If marth goes in and ledgehogs too early I feel getting gimped by the up-b's huge hitbox is easy, and I couldn't edgeguard with dtilts or fsmashes since he sweetspotted p well, when he didn't he would just tech and try again lmao. Maybe just going in and dairing the up b sweetspot could work, I'm not too sure.

I think at high percents dtilt could set up for a ledgedrop bair edgeguard to kill. I'll just have to try more things out.

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
I would guess that juggle with uthrow and uair is the best to get a good position, since the only good move he can come down with is nair. I have little to no matchup experience but that's just the first thought that I had.
Mario's D-air is pretty good too, and you can't crouch cancel it.

He's also really scary if you don't have a good ground game. He can get in with jabs and grab you or d-smash sort of like luigi. Good movement is key. Like most of Marth's matchups, grabs can net him the greatest reward from juggles and to set up edge guards. Mario's recovery is really bad, so Marth should be able to get most of his stocks from edgeguards. If not, chipping away at Mario over time by walling him out with your vastly superior range should net you enough percent to score a kill with u-tilt, f-smash, or up-b OOS. Wavedash OOS is usually what you want if your shield gets hit. If Mario hits your shield with D-air, he can cross you up so be careful not to shield grab too much.

Top Bottom