• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth vs Fox

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
Ohhhhhh I got it!
No but really how do you play the neutral against fox. I know dash dance and down tilt is the answer but I still have trouble. It feels like the only way I get kills is gimping when the fox screws up.

AstroHamsta

Smash Cadet
Ohhhhhh I got it!
No but really how do you play the neutral against fox. I know dash dance and down tilt is the answer but I still have trouble. It feels like the only way I get kills is gimping when the fox screws up.
Instead of Dash Dance Grabbing, Try using Jump Cancelled Grabs and Forward Airs. Forward Airs are kind of like a secret tech that no Marth main wants to tell you. It can do anything. Edgeguard? Check. Near approaches? Check. Far away tippers? Check.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Ohhhhhh I got it!
Ok so....

Neutral

Fox will primarily be approach with SHFFL Nairs so your job is to weave in and out of that danger range and bait an over extension. You have to do this bait and wait game because, Marth is not the kind of character who can force openings with attacks. He can however force his opponents into situations where they have to act at a disadvantage. This is done through crispy moment and limiting there options.

You main tools in neutral are DD, D-tild, JC Grabs. This match up will be played for the most part on the ground because you only have these tools while grounded. Remember that fox is faster than you, but your moves have substantially more priority. This means you will be zoning a bit more that most other MUs. Zoning in this match up is done through D-tilts as they are fast, long, and relatively safe. Learning to D-tilt out of a DD in every situation is absolutely essential.

Gimps are kills one way or the other so if it works just optimize it. You are Marth so almost all your kills will come from edge guards. Gimps or not your killing them. Your goal in melee is not to build % or do crazy combo's! They have 4 stocks and you TAKE them. Every time you take a stock it's like you just did a 999% kill combo.

Anyway how do you get the kills on Fox. Grab him. Do anything in your power to grab fox safely. Once you get a hold of the little **** it's a chain grab juggle to Death! Now as easy as that sounds Fox wont just let you grab him. You have to bait these things out of him. (remember) also if you can get him to retreat to platforms or start double jumping just stay calm because that means he basically handy caped himself for you. Jumps are commitments that limit you to a few options. Seeing as how he doesn't have any areal moves that beat your grounded ability I'd say it's your game.

These are just random thoughts. hope i gave you something to think about.

I do really bad fairs I think I just need to learn how to space.

Do your fairs as low to the ground as possible against fox. Raising fairs are not good zoning or combo tools in this MU. This of course is a generality as there probably will be certain occasions where it will be the right choice. definitely not in neutral tho.

Last edited:

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
Thanks so much. I can do all of these things it's just different when it's actually a match more flubs.

Pent

Smash Rookie
Think of it this way: Grounded Marth beats Grounded Fox. Aerial Marth beats Aerial Fox. Grounded Fox beats Aerial Marth. Aerial Fox beats grounded Marth (assuming he's shnair at you and all that junk, comes in too fast and can overshoot your DD but this is debatable). Don't get jabbed or upsmashed out of your jumps and remember that if you have good enough movement, you should in fact outmaneuver the Fox. Don't shield too long as this takes away your grounded advantage. Study all the combo percents out of upthrows. Practice reacting to knockdowns, you should always be able to grab Fox's rolls and gettup if not hit him afterwards.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Ok so....

Neutral

Fox will primarily be approach with SHFFL Nairs
As a Fox main, in the neutral I primarily Dashdance to JC Grab, Crouch-Shine, Crouch-Jab and Crouch-Down Tilt. SHFFLed nair and dair are used as well. I think it's important to consider Fox's other options, aside from SHFFLed nair.

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
To vastly oversimplify it, in the neutral, Downtilt can beat all of Fox's grounded options and SH Fair can beat SHFFLed aerials.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
As a Fox main, in the neutral I primarily Dashdance to JC Grab, Crouch-Shine, Crouch-Jab and Crouch-Down Tilt. SHFFLed nair and dair are used as well. I think it's important to consider Fox's other options, aside from SHFFLed nair.
lol i was speaking in generalities of course.

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
CC Grab is pretty strong in this matchup at low% if the Fox nairs a lot. Play aggressive defense against Fox by shutting down his ground options with Dtilt and air options with Fair and taking space with your DD and the threat of your options. Try not to let a Fox rush you down super hard because once Fox has Marth playing on his heels, he's in lots of trouble. Once you gain stage position, Fox is in a terrible spot because he can't use his mobility to outmaneuver Marth and the threat of a grab is even larger.

Top Bottom