• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth tipped fsmash hitting recovering opponents?

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Over the weekend was playing a Captain Falcon as Marth on battlefield, hit him offstage to the left while he had about 40% damage I was around 150%, started charging fsmash and let go as/before/during? he grabbed the ledge and it connected, and he instantly died of course.
1) I though Marth could only hit people grabbing the ledge with the middle of his blade, thought dtilt and nontipped fsmash where the only things that could hit opponents grabbing the ledge?
2) Why in the world did that hit?? This was the first time he grabbed the ledge so no it wasn't no ledge invulnerability. I'm thinking it's either A) I hit him before he grabbed the ledge which is pretty wtf or B) I hit him during the 1 frame vulnerability after ledgesnapping, which is still wtf cuz that means we can use end stocks supppppper early which is crazy.

Tried to save the reply but he pressed start cuz he was salty (both on last stocks lol) and didn't get a chance to replicate it since there was a bunch of people over not to mention the fact that I don't own this game.

Thoughts? Anybody want to test this?(:

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Over the weekend was playing a Captain Falcon as Marth on battlefield, hit him offstage to the left while he had about 40% damage I was around 150%, started charging fsmash and let go as/before/during? he grabbed the ledge and it connected, and he instantly died of course.
1) I though Marth could only hit people grabbing the ledge with the middle of his blade, thought dtilt and nontipped fsmash where the only things that could hit opponents grabbing the ledge?
2) Why in the world did that hit?? This was the first time he grabbed the ledge so no it wasn't no ledge invulnerability. I'm thinking it's either A) I hit him before he grabbed the ledge which is pretty wtf or B) I hit him during the 1 frame vulnerability after ledgesnapping, which is still wtf cuz that means we can use end stocks supppppper early which is crazy.

Tried to save the reply but he pressed start cuz he was salty (both on last stocks lol) and didn't get a chance to replicate it since there was a bunch of people over not to mention the fact that I don't own this game.

Thoughts? Anybody want to test this?(:
You probably got him just as he snapped to the ledge, which does have frames that he could be hit from. Tipper Fsmash can hit offstage opponents just before the grab the ledge, not so much the middle of the blade (though it does work too, don't get me wrong xD). That discovery of hitting opponents as they snap the ledge has been done by another group on YT somewhere, but the frames to hit them before they do that is rather small, so its a risk to go for.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
For starters, it's possible to hit someone on the same frame they snap to the ledge. Second, Marth's tipper fsmash always hits opponents when they hang from the ledge without invincibility. This is why ledge trumping is so useful for Marth if people regrab the ledge, especially those with bad recoveries.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Warning Received
For starters, it's possible to hit someone on the same frame they snap to the ledge. Second, Marth's tipper fsmash always hits opponents when they hang from the ledge without invincibility. This is why ledge trumping is so useful for Marth if people regrab the ledge, especially those with bad recoveries.
Hmmmm maybe I'm confusing dtilt with fsmash? Marth can't tipper dtilt opponents on the ledge right?

And ik about the ledge snap vulnerability I mentioned it in the op. I didn't know that tipper fsmash could hit. What else of marth can hit ledge snapping opponents?

Last edited by a moderator:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Hey there @ kj22 kj22 . Normally, I would refer these types of threads to the Marth Question and Answer Thread. But, for the sake of the discussion that already began I will leave it here. There's quite a few things that can hit on ledge. I did some testing after characters lost invincibility. The post I refer to is here. While it's in a different situation it can probably give us an idea of what to test for ledge snap vulnerability.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Hey there @ kj22 kj22 . Normally, I would refer these types of threads to the Marth Question and Answer Thread. But, for the sake of the discussion that already began I will leave it here. There's quite a few things that can hit on ledge. I did some testing after characters lost invincibility. The post I refer to is here. While it's in a different situation it can probably give us an idea of what to test for ledge snap vulnerability.
I just finally understood the double posting thing. Thought it was posting the exact same thing twice, not 2 simultaneous posts.

Imo, practicing to hit ledgesnapping opponents with tipper fsmash is definitely worth doing.

LoreLes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoreLes
Dtilt definitely doesn't hit opponents on the ledge, I believe nothing else really clips them other than DB down 3 swing and maybe fair if you're lucky. But fsmash is still the best punish for this situation anyways because the hitbox for it goes pretty deep.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Yeah, Fsmash is wonderful for edgeguarding. You just have to figure out the safe distance for it. It has a simular hitbox to Falcon's Utilt, which can go like, a pixel through the stage to wreck opponents as soon as they ledge snap.
Its especially useful for non ledge-sweetspotted recoveries, because its basically a free punish.

Top Bottom