• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth, the Happy Medium

B.Wong

Smash Cadet
I currently main peach and utilize roy as a pocket. I love both these characters to death, as they contrast each other well and I can usually switch to Roy if I'm having trouble. However, I was reading guides to competitive games and the author specifically stressed that I use ONE character! So thinking this past week I thought, "If you combine peach and roy" what do character do I get? After much video watching, thinking, and testing I ended up seeing Marth as a happy medium. For me Marth possesses physical characteristics of peach but the tactics/gameplay of roy, along with a sword that is arguably better.

Is my observation correct and I should main Marth or should I stick with the two extremes for now? I currently like Marth somewhat but I he doesn't feel right, it's probably something I have to get used to :/

Marp

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think it's fine to have a main and a secondary or two. Marth is about patient play and baits, and Roy is more in your face aggressive. In project M, there are about 40 match ups to learn, about 3 times melee's amount. Having a secondly will probably help in the long run when you find a character that peach has trouble with.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
It is fine to use two characters, just use the characters you want. Especially in a game with 41 characters (tendency growing, hopefully) two characters aren't too much. If you are asked which one is your main you could also count the matchups you prefer one or the other character and declare either Peach or Roy as main and the other one as secondary, if you don't like the concept of dual-maining but rather the main/secondary concept. There is also no character that exactly resembles an average of multiple characters, play all candidate mains enough until you want to make a decision which character you play how often.

Preacher

Smash Cadet
Use as many characters as you feel comfortable with. I've played Marth for years and so I find Roy to be second nature in PM. I've taken time to learn Jigglypuff for fun and have performed well with her in tournaments.I've also found that skeik handles things I have trouble with as marth. And Ivysaur is basically a combination of Marth, Sheik, and Jigglypuff so I play her capably as well. Some characters overlap with each other and some characters are easier to play than others. Whatever fits your play style.

Top Bottom