• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth technical stuff that you should learn.

Was this thread useful?

• Total voters

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys my name is trix, and I am an up and coming marth, and am a top 5 marth main in chicago. I highly doubt you know me unless your from illinois though. I just wanted to make a comprehensive list of marth tech thats isn't too well known(mostly because of its difficulty) but I think is extremely useful.

1. Doing a reverse up b on fox when he's in the start up of his Firefox. This one is kinda well known, but I thought I should put it on here anyways. Basically what you have to do is space it so that you're slightly above and slightly to the side of fox(this is actually really hard, you have to use the up bs max range.) The best way to practice this is to put a fox on handicap 7, yourself on 9, then just down throw him off at 0 percent. You can also get him in the last ten frames of his recovery, when he doesn't have any flames.

2. This one is significantly less known, and even harder than the 1st one. Dairing a fox in his initial start up, and trading with the flames. This is very useful after you jab a fox that side bs straight at you(in this situation jab is literally your only option, because nothing else is fast enough for you to react in time) and is also useful after you use jab to edgeguard in any situations. The problem after you jab someone is that they're too close to the stage for you to reverse up b them(if they up b immediately out of the jab, which foxs will do everytime because it makes the edgeguard significantly harder), and any other options is flawed. If you counter, fsmash, d-tilt, or neutral b, they can sweet spot it and these won't hit(and they will basically get on the stage for free while your still in your lag, and if you fsmash or counter you'll get punished really hard.) if you use an aerial such as fair to reach below the stage they can tech wall jump it. Dair is the only option that will get you the edgeguard against a really good fox, because they can't do anything to stop it and will die 100% of the time if you do it correctly because they can't sweetspot if they don't even start moving, they can't tech it, and it will kill them at 0%. It also useful for going really deep, because you get hit up by trading with up b frames, get to jump and then up b, making it possible to recover from literally anywhere fox can go. To practice it, just down throw a fox off at 0%, then jab him, then go down and try to trade with a dair. (Please note that foxs fire fox flames are every other frame between 20-32, and his up b start up lasts 42 frames.

3. This is very well known but I'll put it here anyways. You NEED to be able to pivot grab, because it is a basic necessity for comboing spacies, and is a very good option out of neutral. To practice this you just have to grind it out, no way around it.

4. Pivot fsmash is sadly only something pewpewu can do consinsently, although I think every marth should be doing it. It is very good in neutral because it gives you significantly more options out of dash dance, it is super good against peach, being garunteed off an f-throw from around 50-90%. It also good against marth and puff, because you can pivot tipper them off a throw by mixing up f-throw and b-throw. Also it is INSANELY good for tech chasing. It is one of Marths most reliable kill setups. Against fox, falco, falcon, and sheik, all you have to do is get a grab at 80+%, and then f-throw tech chase pivot tipper(which is easier than tech chasing with grab because it has more range) and its instant death. At around 40%+ it'll set up for an edgeguard. Marth has lots of trouble koing at higher percent because he can't do anything out of a grab and from 80-130% against most characters can really only throw out an fsmash in neutral to get them off stage. That's why people don't think marth is as good as fox and falco, and if every marth could do this, marth would become even better than fox in my opinion because he would have even more reliable kill setups. Pivot tipper is basically foxs upthrow upair, it works on every character in top 8(against puff peach and marth you do it right out of a grab, and against sheik spacies and falcon you tech chase). However it kills even quicker then upthrow upair and can't be smash DIed out of. In conclusion learning to pivot tipper and to use it correctly will make your marth SOOO much better, and makes marth arguably the best character in the game. Which is why I think every marth should be able to do it.

5. Pivot d- tilt and pivot u-tilt
These are incredibly good for walling out your opponent and for increasing your options out of dash dance. What you have to do for d-tilt is to dash my moving your stick back and down( but ever so slightly more in the backwards direction), and then you just have to move it down ever so slightly super quick to crouch and d-tilt. Uptilt is the same thing except up instead of down.

Alternatives to SH double fair
6. SH fair uair is really good. Usually you want to tipper the fair then it will lead directly into a Uair. Also something people will do to stop SH double fair is full jump to get above the fairs, and upair will counter that really well.

7. SH double fair fadeaway is a really good defensive option for walling out your opponent. You have to jump backwards, then move to the c-stick really quickly and then time the second fair(preferably using the c-stick again).

8. SH fair, first hit nair into grab. Doing a first hit nair immediately into a grab is super good because it is guaranteed at any percent(unless they SDI it up, then you have to uptilt or Uair).

9. Pivot SH nair and pivot SH fair are really good options out of dash. Once you learn to do one of these 1 frame pivot inputs , the rest should become easy.

Hope this helped! I'll update this thread with any new tech. Any suggestions in the comments are appreciated.

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Also, to anyone that answers no, what could this thread improve on?

Last edited:

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
This looks like a very good list. I will have to try.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
It's pretty good. One question, though: for pivot utilt, are you aiming to hit an enemy in front of or behind you? I prefer the hitbox behind him even though it's slightly more difficult to land because it's a guaranteed tipper provided it connects.

dreamhouse

Smash Cadet
@ _trix_ _trix_ Do you have any video footage of you (or anyone else) techchasing with pivot F smash? I'm pretty proficient at pivots, but not as good at techchasing and I think seeing someone else do it would help.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna update this with a video of me doing these things pretty soon. Until then the only advice I can give you is to wavedash or dash in, so that if they tech in place or don't tech you are already set up for a tipper and don't have to move. I used to play falcon, so I know a good deal about tech chasing frame data. It would require a 13 frame reaction to pivot tipper a tech in place (if they shield the frame they get out of the lag), compared to a 19 frame reaction for a grab. If they roll behind or away, run towards(but not necessarily on) the initial spot where they landed and do a pivot tipper. This is around a 15 frame reaction. So it's pretty damn difficult , but if you have 20xx and can practice it, it shoudlnt be to hard.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
@ FE_Hector FE_Hector There are many, many uses for pivot uptilt, some utilizing the back end and some the front. I didn't elaborate well enough on those in the guide, I'll edit it tommorow with all the possible uses.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Also @ D dreamhouse I talked to ppmd about it earlier today, and he said that mango marth vs leffen at wtfox is a really good set to watch for tech chase tipper(and just pivot tippers overall, he uses them really well). So yeah definitely watch that video, cuz he's ppm****ingd lol.

Last edited:

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
Will post gifs of everything in the thread pretty soon. Probably this weekend

AirFair

Marth tho
I feel like some of these options are quite sub optimal.

1. Why would you need to reverse upB fox when you can fair? It's a legitimate option, but it's limited in that there is a good chance you get hit by the flame, or you miss. Using an aerial like fair or bair that sticks out into fox is, imo more optimal than this.
This reverse upB edgeguard is WAY better vs Falco, as his firebird has no hitboxes at all before taking off.

2. Seems like an alright option. I think something else that guarantees recovery and also puts you in a good position is to drop from the ledge and sideB the fox/falco out of upB, without using your double jump. This sends them falling down without hitting them into a wall like you wanted to avoid. Trading frames with Dair is also very precise because if you are off, then you get hit offstage by upB or you suicide kill. Also, depending on position, they COULD walltech a dair if they DI properly, but if you low enough offstage where any move will do the trick, side b is a safe bet.

3. Yes.

4. Lots of marths pivot. Even PPU doesn't have 100% consistency. Honestly, in the Mango vs Leffen set at WTFox, the tipper techchases that he got were not ALL from fthrow, some were much earlier. At 80% on center stage like DL, uthrow is more consistent as you have uair and nair followups, while fthrow or dthrow might be better used to throw offstage.

5. More options out of DD are good to learn. Pivot dtilt is easier to do, but learning both isn't a bad thing.

The alternatives to SHDF can be used a little differently.
I don't know if it is that safe to throw out sh fair to uair because usually, at lower percents I don't think you will get much off the uair. It's at percents where uair can pop them up for tipper that it's really useful, but it's also a mixup. I've made this combo work when following up from under a platform, but other than that, it's situational in netural because of the way they can DI the fair and there will be times when tipper uair doesn't connect and you are left open.

I don't see first hit of nair into grab being used a lot, so it would be an interesting option to explore, but much like the case of sh fair to uair in neutral, it really only works in certain situations, because a fair at lower percents can be cc'd, which makes some of these alternatives risky

pivot short hop out of dash is also a good thing to learn because you can pick nair or fair depending.

I just wanted to share my criticism of some of these being essential things to learn. These are options, but the question I have is that are they optimal? they can work, but Marth does have other options as well, so it's a wise idea to explore some of them.

Good work on this list nonetheless.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
@ AirFair AirFair Thinking about what he said about Fair, I actually like to SH AC (I think. I input L-Cancel just in case) nairs. But what I'll do is use the second hit of the nair to attempt to poke their shield. If I don't get the poke, then I always have a really nice time to grab due to the approach. It's entirely a mixup, and something that use very rarely, but if you're going against an opponent who doesn't expect it and just shields because they expect your outspacing Fair, you're in a fairly good position. I'm perfectly aware her ftilt outspaces nair.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
The fair to upairs main purpose is for combo sheik and marth. if you try to do SH double fair at 40%+ they can just di down and get out. So using a fair upair will work really well(especially because they'll probably be DIng down ). In general I feel like SH double fair is limited, and it's best to have many options out of fair rather than another(fastfall and land, upair, nair). Also (this literally just came into my mind), SH fair bair would be really good in 2 vs 1 especialy because they won't expect it. I'm gonna post a video of me comboing a sheik on FD using SH double aerial stuff soon. Something I find really useful from 10-30% is doing a SH fair nair grab, then uptilt and do upairs for a free 10-70%. The main reason for reverse up b is for gimpy Marths who will opt for throwing fox off stage below 30% rather than upthrow. Fair just isn't strong enough then. Also yeah I agree, these are all hard af. I just wanted to make a list of stuf that isn't used very often, rather than a basic one. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
5. Pivot d- tilt and pivot u-tilt
These are incredibly good for walling out your opponent and for increasing your options out of dash dance. What you have to do for d-tilt is to dash my moving your stick back and down( but ever so slightly more in the backwards direction), and then you just have to move it down ever so slightly super quick to crouch and d-tilt. Uptilt is the same thing except up instead of down.
While spending some time learning this yesterday, I found something out. The option itself is a bit faster than wavedash dtilt, but in terms of execution it's a lot harder. The benefit to training this is a bit more subtle, however. Working on this can really familiarize you with your controller's stick zones. Working on this for a while I found my dash dances were improving so I suggest everyone work on at least the pivot d-tilt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom