• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth stages against Fox

Scrubloard69

Smash Rookie
What stages would a marth want to pick against fox. I think the best to worst stages would go along the lines of
FD - PKM - Yoshi - BF - FOD - Dream land
Im just interested in what other players opinion in this subject is

Last edited:

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Really depends on your skill level and your play style.There's no objectively bad stage for marth (except DL).
FD - A good fox will still crush you here. Only if you're good at CG will you have a chance here.
PKM - Same as FD but Fox has easier kills due to lower ceiling, transformations.
Yoshi - Good if you have good spacing, zone control. Fox has easy kills here so you need to limit his movement with your sword since it takes up so much room on this stage.
FOD - like Yoshi's but platforms can either screw/help you big time.
Dream Land - Only stage that's actually 'bad' for Marth. No tipper platform set ups, Fox lives forever, etc. Still winnable if you have solid edge guards + upair platforms.

Personally, I prefer FD, Yoshi, and FOD. I hate PKMN due to the transformations.

Last edited:

Scrubloard69

Smash Rookie
[/QUOTE] Really depends on your skill level and your play style.
There's no objectively bad stage for marth (except DL).
FD - A good fox will still crush you here. Only if you're good at CG will you have a chance here.
PKM - Same as FD but Fox has easier kills due to lower ceiling, transformations.
Yoshi - Good if you have good spacing, zone control. Fox has easy kills here so you need to limit his movement with your sword since it takes up so much room on this stage.
FOD - like Yoshi's but platforms can either screw/help you big time.
Dream Land - Only stage that's actually 'bad' for Marth. No tipper platform set ups, Fox lives forever, etc. Still winnable if you have solid edge guards + upair platforms.

Personally, I prefer FD, Yoshi, and FOD. I hate PKMN due to the transformations. [/QUOTE]

Since Im very good at CG I put FD first and I put FOD at second to last because the inconsistency of the platforms. Mostly tho I agree with you I actually think that battlefield because similar platforms to yoshi's (only harder to f-smash through platforms) and on BF you can live for longer from up-smash. I put PKMN second because of what most players say (I personally dont like it that much).

Last edited:

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Oh I forgot to mention battlefield.
Supposedly this stage is 'even', but I personally dislike it against fox.

I feel like the platforms, while they do allow a tipper setup, aren't very guaranteed against fox. It's basically a rock paper scissors scenario when you grab upthrow and react to their techs with an uair.
Fox gets quick jump waveland follow ups, easy platform tech chases with long hitboxes, etc.

Gosu~

Smash Rookie
FD -> FoD -> Pokemon -> Battlefield -> Yoshi's -> Dreamland

FD is obvious.
FoD platforms help you plenty despite being janky and having the 2nd highest ceiling vs fox while having narrow side blast zones is pretty good I must say. I can see Pokemon being a better stage than FoD purely for zero-death reasons. And hell Battlefield is even interchangeable among those three stages. I think they're all 50-50.
Yoshi's is fox favored theoretically and practically past mid-level play. I might even say Yoshi's is as bad as Dreamland...

All stages beyond FD depend on the type of fox you're playing against. Something I learned is that there is no 1 type of fox and they will either camp the **** out of you and/or stuff you with shines.

AirFair

Marth tho
I think fd and stadium are your best stages against fox, but Yoshi''s is also a really good stage if you don't get locked down.

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
I kind of do my best on DreamLand. I only like it because fox cant kill me off the top as quickly.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
I think fd and stadium are your best stages against fox, but Yoshi''s is also a really good stage if you don't get locked down.
What makes Yoshi's a better option vs Fox than FoD? I'd have thought that the higher ceiling makes it harder for Fax to kill. Do the platforms play into it? Thanks.

AirFair

Marth tho
What makes Yoshi's a better option vs Fox than FoD? I'd have thought that the higher ceiling makes it harder for Fax to kill. Do the platforms play into it? Thanks.
Yoshi's is if you are confortable controlling the stage. Battlefield is if you want more stage space to fight them, so it varies from opponent to opponent for you

Why you go yoshi's
you can lock FOX down, instead of the other way around, with good spacing
your uair and utilt cover a majority of the platform, so precision for those has a bit of leeway.
sh uair covers top platform if they don't di their shield down, and you also have fhuair fhuair onto the top platform if you are frame perfect/almost perfect
good walltech, not able to get battlefielded.
slope helps you edgeguard

Why you go battlefield
more space to interact with your opponent
battlefield works against their upB, so edgeguarding is much easier if they are BELOW the ledge

both have tipper guaranteed on the lower platforms.

Last edited:

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's is if you are confortable controlling the stage. Battlefield is if you want more stage space to fight them, so it varies from opponent to opponent for you

Why you go yoshi's
you can lock FOX down, instead of the other way around, with good spacing
your uair and utilt cover a majority of the platform, so precision for those has a bit of leeway.
sh uair covers top platform if they don't di their shield down, and you also have fhuair fhuair onto the top platform if you are frame perfect/almost perfect
good walltech, not able to get battlefielded.

Why you go battlefield
more space to interact with your opponent
battlefield works against their upB, so edgeguarding is much easier if they are BELOW the ledge

both have tipper guaranteed on the lower platforms.
What makes Yoshi's a better pick than FoD? Is it because you can't always get tippers on the platforms?

ASCII

Smash Rookie
NNID
iruhlman
FD -> FoD -> Pokemon -> Battlefield -> Yoshi's -> Dreamland

FD is obvious.
FoD platforms help you plenty despite being janky and having the 2nd highest ceiling vs fox while having narrow side blast zones is pretty good I must say. I can see Pokemon being a better stage than FoD purely for zero-death reasons. And hell Battlefield is even interchangeable among those three stages. I think they're all 50-50.
Yoshi's is fox favored theoretically and practically past mid-level play. I might even say Yoshi's is as bad as Dreamland...

All stages beyond FD depend on the type of fox you're playing against. Something I learned is that there is no 1 type of fox and they will either camp the **** out of you and/or stuff you with shines.
Overall, this is a very accurate list. The only sort of change I would make is to switch Dreamland's & Yoshi's placement, but that's only depended on how the fox plays. I generally enjoy bigger stages to bait through crisp movement, forcing the fox to approach me, allowing me to counter their strategy effectively. Also being able to live is nice.

Top Bottom