• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth sparring buddies

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
My sparring buddy wants to use Marth as well is there a good secondary we could use for training?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
My sparring buddy wants to use Marth as well is there a good secondary we could use for training?
Falco is a good secondary to Marth if you're willing to pick him up. Sheik can work as well and it helps that she's very easy to play.

Smashing Turnips

Smash Cadet
I honestly recommend sticking to Marth solo until you understand the character enough to take tournament sets.
However, I don't discourage from learning the cast. At a low level, just picking another character to win a MU boils down to not enough experience.
If you're just interested in learning a new character, I suggest Fox, since he's the most common character you're likely to play against. He also covers all of Marth's harder MUs (Sheik/Puff/Falcon).

StickyIcky

Smash Rookie
I use Falco as a secondary pretty often although I am not very good with him. I like the emphasis on timing with Falco as opposed to the straight speed of Fox. I use Yoshi a lot too but that ones more for lulz than anything else. Sheik is pretty easy to pick up, abuse the **** out of n-air, f-tilt, and up-tilt.

I agree though with Smashing Turnips about Fox being a good character to train against as you will be fighting him more than anyone else in tournaments. My Marth has more Fox/Falcon practice than any others. On a side note Falcon is a good partner to learn spacing, defensive options, stage control, etc. Fighting a good Falcon will teach you a good amount as Marth I think.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I use Falco as a secondary pretty often although I am not very good with him. I like the emphasis on timing with Falco as opposed to the straight speed of Fox. I use Yoshi a lot too but that ones more for lulz than anything else. Sheik is pretty easy to pick up, abuse the **** out of n-air, f-tilt, and up-tilt.

I agree though with Smashing Turnips about Fox being a good character to train against as you will be fighting him more than anyone else in tournaments. My Marth has more Fox/Falcon practice than any others. On a side note Falcon is a good partner to learn spacing, defensive options, stage control, etc. Fighting a good Falcon will teach you a good amount as Marth I think.
I have a secondary Falco. The biggest reason that I enjoy using Falco is because my Marth is a very safe one, not taking undue risks. Falco, however, is a very in-your-face type of combo machine. I like using Falco as a secondary, then, because if somebody bodies my Marth they may not be able to handle the bird. SQUAAAK (just for the 20YY group XD)

Smashing Turnips

Smash Cadet
On a side note Falcon is a good partner to learn spacing, defensive options, stage control, etc. Fighting a good Falcon will teach you a good amount as Marth I think.
I agree with this, especially the stage control bit. It's hard for Falcon to get out of corner pressure, and getting him offstage should always lead to a kill. He also is a good character to begin learning tech chasing and option coverage against, since he has an easier tech roll to cover.

As an aside, if you and your partner are the only real training you can get on a regular basis, learn as much of the game as you can together. There's nothing wrong with learning everyone to understand the game from different perspectives, and this helps you and your partner get MU experience, even if it's lower leveled.

Top Bottom