• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Spam Help!

darkevilprince295

Smash Rookie
Hi I am fairly new to the scene and especially new to Lucas however my friend uses Marth and will randomly spam jab which I can approach using PKF or force him to approach but is there any other ways or countering this? Also he will spam F-smash at the edge and I am not sure how to get around it or counter it. He sometimes will spam Marth's B which I can easily counter but sometimes when I go in to counter he can just barely land a quick F-smash before I get too close. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Nayyr

Smash Rookie
For when he's fsmashing at the ledge, use psimagnet to drift in below the stage and save your jump. Then when you're low and close enough jump up and tether the ledge. This should avoid the fsmash.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
What I do to approach Marth is I use side-b and immediately do a DACUS. If timed right, the side-b should leave a small amount of frames helpless, the DACUS would push him into the air. You could always charge b, and then use your DACUS, that works very well.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
There isn't a single best answer to any problem in Smash, let alone something as massive and dangerous as Marth's Fsmash. My advice to you would be to get a hold of the basics. If things like Marth's jab, one of his lesser used moves, is giving you notable trouble, you need to focus on your fundamentals.

Spacing: control Lucas' movement such that you stay just out of Marth's approach range, observe what moves your opponent uses most when you're in the neutral game (which is basically at the starting positions or something similar where both players are on even ground in terms of stage control/spacing/etc), predict what moves they'll use to approach you in the neutral, and punish with Lucas' insane combos and movement options.

Lucas has a lot of options here, especially when you consider dash dancing (don't just spam left/right, but rather try to do it a little more slowly [you'll need to practice the timing] so your opponent thinks you might approach/gets scared and throws out a move that hopefully whiffs and you can punish; also mix up randomly when you actually approach, what you approach with, and when in your dash dance [options here are shield, dash attack, crouch cancelled moves, grab/jump-cancelled grab, nair, fair, dair, magnet, jump>magnet, jump > djc > magnet > whatever, PK freeze, jump > pk freeze, jump > djc PK freeze, B-reverse magnet into jump cancelled whatever, etc. There's literally way too many options probably lmao]).

Aside from that, work on familiarizing yourself with your character for when you do get in on your opponent. How fast can you do stuff? What combos into what? When should you stop comboing and maybe hesitate/mix up? Think those kinds of thoughts. Familiarize yourself with all the options I didn't list, because there's a ton. Watch videos of top Lucases like Neon, Oracle, Pink Fresh, etc. I figure you'll have your hands full enough with this amount of information alone, so start with that.

And as always, ask questions of anyone willing to answer.

darkevilprince295

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot guys that's really going to help me out a lot! I just need to become a lot smarter and definitely practice my fundamentals also I really appreciate all the information Eisen and I'll definitely think a lot more like that in the future! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom