• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Shield Break Setups/Baits?

IAmHorse

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-3124-0028
Off the top of my head, i can name some simple ones:

Jab 1 into neutral b. (the most basic of them all. Pretty reliable but predictable after a couple uses)

First hit of side b into neutral b (You'll need to get the timing down though so you use neutral b rather than side b again. You can also do first two hits of side b into neutral b, which i use more often for the tad bit of extra shield pressure.)

First hit of nair into neutral b is also doable but situational, since landing first hit of nair isnt too easy and is punishable.

You might be able to get away with a dtilt to neutral b at low percents if you condition your opponent to expect multiple dtilts in succession, especially in the 0%-20% range, since dtilt sends them close to tipper range.

There are also some more elaborate ones like jab 1 to SH side b (first hit) to first hit of nair to neutral b. That one is pretty decent since people tend to get flustered by compact combos like that and hold shield.

If you really feel like styling, you can go for Jab 1 > SH side b > first hit of nair > dtilt > run up neutral b. I have done it before and it only works if you read your opponents tech after the dtilt (most people will tech in place), since being forced to tech often pressures you to shield in order to avoid a tech chase. Low percents are a must.

I dont really use shield breaker that much, but i hope these help until someone more versed in it can help you out. You can always try to make up a set-up by yourself if you're bored and have some spare time, it feels really accomplishing. Thats how i found these^. I bet there are tons of different combinations and even stage-specific setups, so have fun experimenting!

(Edit: Do bear in mind that most of these work best at really low percents, but some can work up to the 40%'s or 50%'s. Also note that you MIGHT be able to land some of these if the opponent shields the whole thing, like side b to neutral b, but they work best when the opponent gets hit by every move before shielding for the shield break. And imo you shouldnt go out of your way for these, but use them as punishes.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom