• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth once again doesn't impress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
[Shrugs] Well, it is the same build they used at E3.

Just remember that this is a demo of an unfinished project. Even though I, too, do not like what I have seen of Marth thus far, I still have hope that he will be more polished in the final project.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Well, he did look pretty good when the CPU was using him... kinda...

There's another stream tomorrow that I unfortunately won't get to watch. Maybe Marth will be elaborated on. Or maybe we'll just see Marth action in general... but every time I've watched this game's streams, so far Marth's not a favorite by any means. I think he was used twice in that entire stream tonight.

Don't give up hope though! Maybe he'll turn out much better than we thought. Who knows, maybe they'll drastically change Marth for the better.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
That's the thing. Nobody even cared to use him, and the only ones who did want to use him was a guy who didn't really look like he knew how to play the game, and a CPU.

mintjelly

Smash Rookie
I'm just starting to learn Marth in Melee and PM (I'm considering switching Marth to be my main), and now I'm super disappointed that Marth in Sm4sh doesn't look good. I hope they improve upon him by the time the 3DS version of Sm4sh is released.

I still can't agree with that, especially when you try to do Meler things. SHFF Fair has a risk to using it, but a regular SH Fair can be auto cancelled. Uair is still pretty good along with Nair, and Bair is much faster, probably to the point where you may be able to do SH Bair>Fair or Uair.

Another thing to keep in mind that this is the E3 build of the game , it is still up in the air, especially since the Nintendo reps were constantly stressing that.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
^This
That, and the only Marth besides the CPU in that one match was....um....not so great.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think I remember finding one good Marth-player in the 3DS Tourney in Lumiose City-stage, though he was punished big-time trying to get a Smash Ball. I keep thinking he wasn't just very favoured this time and most players using him were bad or inexperienced with him.

Still havin' faith on him.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
FYI after playing at SDCC the new ledge mechanics help him a ton. One right read at the edge and he should get free tippers as the opponent attempts to return.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, there is no way to determine Marth's viability until we see the final build of the game being played by players that understand the fundamentals of the character in a competitive setting against all other characters.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Either way, I'm starting to think as long as Marth's game is focused on tippers he will fail. You can argue that the Tippers make Marth stronger but to space against an opponent who actually knows what they're doing, even the best Marth users will have trouble. His whole game relies on the tipper and I just think that's really gonna make or break him in Sm4sh. Especially now that all these characters have been improved greatly, as well as Sakurai creating a Marth-replica that literally takes Marth's weakness with the non-tipper and just completely gets rid of it. Between the Tipper and Lucina, I'm scared for him because he has always been my favorite character.

It's crazy. Now I'm just seeing Marth as too unreliable... especially compared to his new counterpart.

TerraRizerKing

Smash Cadet
I wont be saying much till I see a decent marth player play him or someone who actually knows what they're are doing before I decide marth is bad. All I saw was marth players who had no idea how to play him. I mean almost every lil mac game I watched people did terrible with him, doesn't mean he's bad

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
One of the biggest complaints I've seen regarding Marth is that he can't short hop double F-air anymore.

I'm learning the concept in Melee/PM so correct me if I'm wrong but when you're near someone you short hop, then f-air and then you may f-air again and hit them due to the range of Marth's sword.

In this game, I believe the range of his sword has been shortened so you can't really use this technique anymore.

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
What I hate is that they changed so much about him that made him simply great. I can't even incorporate Brawl knowledge into Marth, unlike other brawl characters who where buffed from their brawl counterparts. Was a buffed counter and shield breaker good enough to impress people?
No offence but I'm going to ride the Lucina Bandwagon for this game if he only focuses on his tipper.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I still have hope, he may have gotten a power buff to make up for his speed nerf.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm not sure what to make of that. I'm gonna have to find that out myself once the game comes out. Otherwise, I'll just end up switching to Lucina.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Let's look at it from a different perspective:

They said that the E3 build was not final, and that there is a bit of balancing and tweaking left to do. I bet that they watched the tournament and saw things that had to be rectified, so maybe Marth's poor performance means he'll be buffed before release? I'm being optimistic here, but who knows.

Reynitsu

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-9310-5788
Let's look at it from a different perspective:

They said that the E3 build was not final, and that there is a bit of balancing and tweaking left to do. I bet that they watched the tournament and saw things that had to be rectified, so maybe Marth's poor performance means he'll be buffed before release? I'm being optimistic here, but who knows.
Yeah. I hope Marth gets buffed around before release as well. Sakurai did say later on that Lucina and Marth are almost the same in terms of speed and power (forgot the exact quote but it's something like that).

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
What I hate is that they changed so much about him that made him simply great. I can't even incorporate Brawl knowledge into Marth, unlike other brawl characters who where buffed from their brawl counterparts. Was a buffed counter and shield breaker good enough to impress people?
No offence but I'm going to ride the Lucina Bandwagon for this game if he only focuses on his tipper.
If Lucina moves , or at least tries to emulate Melee´s Marth in any way.. ill use her.

Itotally ditched marth in Brawl because i was not able to apply any of the knowledge i adquired in melee because of the totally different psychihcs... and just switched mains and never looked back at my loved Marth.

And i dont think they will heavily buff him just because his bad matches in the invitational. For those kind of things u need a lot of data to be able to judge. One or 2 games from ken are not enought

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Lucina was able to pull off an U-tilt immediately after landing from an F-air in the video. This means one of three things:

She was modified with a powerup that changes frame count on lag (the video was of a smash run match)
She is faster than marth when it comes to landing lag
Landing lag across the board was lowered (which seems to be the case)

Azizibesmashing

Smash Apprentice
Poor Marth got battered again today at ComicCon, good player or not he looks disappointing.
Something New!
i jumped in the air with Marth to perform a fair and as soon as i hit the ground i could attack immidiatly, Dash left or right immidiatley , or go into my shield immidiatly. with the right timing you skip the animation ... i don't know if this has been proved for the new SSB4 if so I'm apologize for making another thread about it... but this is why BRAWL SUCKED. i performed the same stunts with the villager and fox. for example i jump up and use his sling shot forward AND backwards (FAIR x BAIR) and as soon as i land i cancel the animation by attacking as soon as i hit the right frame landing on the ground or with R to shield or dash left and right. thats as far as i went with that because i just wanted to play. i spent at least an hour and a half in the training room.

marth isn't as bad as you think in ssb4

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Something New!
i jumped in the air with Marth to perform a fair and as soon as i hit the ground i could attack immidiatly, Dash left or right immidiatley , or go into my shield immidiatly. with the right timing you skip the animation ... i don't know if this has been proved for the new SSB4 if so I'm apologize for making another thread about it... but this is why BRAWL SUCKED. i performed the same stunts with the villager and fox. for example i jump up and use his sling shot forward AND backwards (FAIR x BAIR) and as soon as i land i cancel the animation by attacking as soon as i hit the right frame landing on the ground or with R to shield or dash left and right. thats as far as i went with that because i just wanted to play. i spent at least an hour and a half in the training room.

Was this back at June you did this?

I just ready a thread where landing lag is slim to non-existent this time around.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Something New!

If that is true, then that could lead into some pretty alright combos. Was it only with Marth's fair, or could you do it with other moves?

Azizibesmashing

Smash Apprentice
If that is true, then that could lead into some pretty alright combos. Was it only with Marth's fair, or could you do it with other moves?
watch the gif and youtube video in the OP.
it was with marth but worked with mario packman megaman and more

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
never underestimate Marth, ever. even if he looks disappointing atm. i have hope in him becoming high tier at least again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom