• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Movement Mechanics

Btp

Smash Rookie
Introduction
This thread is for my general research on how Marth's movement works. For now I'll mainly be focusing on ground movement, although I may add other mechanics eventually. Most of these mechanics should be true for every characters, although the specific frame data will likely be different. I eventually plan to use this information to figure out the easiest tech chase options for each character.

All information in this thread has been determined through my own experimentation or through reading existing resources. If you think any of my information is wrong please let me know and I'll update the post.

Any time I refer to a "zone" on the control stick, you should reference Kadano's control stick diagrams. The first diagram covers all grounded movement

Dashing
Marth's dash is initiated by pushing the stick into the dash zone on either side of the control stick for anywhere from 1 to 15 frames. This puts you into the dash state which can be canceled at any time by dashing in the other direction, shielding, jumping, or using any move that can be used during the dash animation. Jumping and some moves will retain the dash's momentum while shielding will stop it entirely. If you don't cancel the dash state, it will continue for 27 frames before Marth returns to Wait (standing still). This single, uncanceled dash is a foxtrot. Durings frames 1-15, holding in the direction of your dash will increase the length of your foxtrot. The held frames do not have to be continuous (ex. holding on frames 5, 10, and 13 would still count as 3 frames). This is shown in the gif below. All dashes were done from the edge of the stage.

https://gfycat.com/DimwittedJadedIlsamochadegu

During frames 16-27, holding in the direction of the dash will instead transition into a run state.

Running
The run state is very different than the dash state. It cannot be canceled by a dash in the other direction; instead, turning around triggers a run turnaround animation which contains 29 frames. Even though it only has 29 frames, the turnaround state lasts longer depending on how fast Marth is going before the turnaround. This is caused by Marth freezing in frame 9 of the turnaround animation until he overcomes his initial momentum. This is shown in the two gifs below; the high speed run spends about 21 frames on frame 9 of the animation while the slow run only spends 10 frames on it.

High Speed Run Turnaround: https://gfycat.com/FlickeringIdioticBoaconstrictor
Low Speed Run Turnaround: https://gfycat.com/CleanImpureAmericanratsnake

The run state can be canceled by crouching, shielding, jumping, or using any move that can be used during the run animation. Crouching, shielding, and jumping all retain the momentum from the run state meaning that Marth will continue to move forward even after the run state is canceled.

Walking
Walking is separated into three states, WalkSlow, WalkMiddle, and WalkFast. Each state has it's own animation and is triggered based on the amount of momentum that marth currently has in the direction that he's walking. Generally you'll have to go through some frames of slow walk to build up this momentum; however, it's possible to get enough momentum to skip straight to WalkMiddle or WalkFast by wavedashing into a walk. Marth's acceleration during a walk is based on how far the stick is being held in that direction (the exact zones are shown in Kadano's control stick diagram). Even within the same run state, you can reach different walk speeds by moving the control stick slightly forwards or backwards. This is shown in the gif below, which compares two WalkMiddle cycles at different speeds. Black Marth's state is in the row labeled "1". Note that the Black Marth takes fewer frames to go from WalkSlow to WalkMiddle since he has a higher acceleration. Black Marth also reaches a higher peak speed.

Marth Walk Acceleration Comparison: https://gfycat.com/TameWildDarklingbeetle

Every Walk State allows you to do almost any action that can be done out of a normal stand. The only exception is dashing forward; if you want to dash forward out of a walk you need to return to a neutral stance for at least one frame before you're able to dash forward. This restriction doesn't apply during the first frame of walking, probably for similar reasons that the small step fsmash exists.

Turning
There are two types of turns, tilt turns and smash turns. Tilt turns are activated by pressing the stick into a specific zone on the control stick (See Kadano's diagram) or by holding fully in a direction while in another action that can't be interrupted by a dash. Normal turns last 11 frames when uninterrupted and have the following characteristics (Forwards is defined as the direction that Marth is turning towards):
  • During all frames, the turn can be interrupted by any normal move except for a backwards ftilt. Attempting to do a backwards ftilt will put out a forward facing jab instead
  • During all frames, counter can be interrupt the turn with Marth facing forwards
  • During all frames, dolphin slash and dancing blade can be used with Marth facing in the direction that they were used in
  • During all frames, shield breaker can't cancel the turn
  • Before frame 8, shield, jump, and taunt will cancel the turn with Marth facing backwards
  • From frame 8 onward, shield, jump, and taunt will cancel the turn with Marth facing forwards
  • Only on frame 8, Marth is able to dash in the direction of his turn
  • On frame 12, Marth is in a neutral stance and can do anything
Smash turns are activated by quickly pressing the stick into the smash turn zone (See Kadano's diagram). If this position is held for more than one frame Marth will enter a dash in the pressed direction. If not, Marth will enter an 11 frame smash turn which looks identical to a normal turn; however, it has slightly different properties:
  • During all frames, shield, jump, and turn will cancel the turn with Marth facing forwards
  • On frame 2, a dash can be executed in the direction of the turn
  • On frame 8, Marth can't dash like he can in a normal turn. If he misses the dash on frame 2 then he can't dash until frame 12 when he returns to neutral stance.
The following gifs show the differences between the turn types. Blue Marth is using normal turns, Black Marth is using smash turns and dashing on frame 2, and Red Marth is using smash turns and not dashing on frame 2.

Differences in facing: https://gfycat.com/ObviousWatchfulAfricanhornbill
Differences in dash timings: https://gfycat.com/UglyHighlevelFly

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited:
Top Bottom