• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Match-up?

Mo$h

Smash Rookie
Hey, I just recently got into more advanced tactics and actually played my first tournament this weekend but I need help playing against Marth as G&W. How do I approach his reach? How should I ledge-guard (D-tilt or off the stage n-air?)? post your experiences against this match-up!

oliman

Smash Journeyman
I hate this matchup and don't know how to play it, but here's what I do know

1. Jab is good against Marth. You're supposed to jab him when he tries to grab you.
2. Usually, you want to grab the edge against Marth and make him upB when you're invincible. If he tries to grab the ledge, he's dead. If he goes back onstage, I would think a reverse nair (sending him back offstage) or waveland back onstage to grab or smash attack would be optimal.
3. If Marth is edgeguarding you onstage, sweetspot the ledge with upB or whatever. However, if Marth grabs the ledge, he is making you choose between sweetspot and stage-land. Marth's dair can cover both of these, so try either recovering high if you can or hugging the stage in order to tech the dair

And thats all I know. Hopefully Cactuar can give you a better response

Mo$h

Smash Rookie
okay, thanks! I play against my friend who's a decent marth and he likes to edge guard by just sitting on the end and either neutral b or side smash constantly, so i just need to get better at sweetspotting the edge probably, other than that I am pretty fine against marth.

S7GF

Smash Journeyman
When you're on the ledge, hop>wavedash>jab>grab works nicely. Jabs are great, but be patient.

EDIT: Also, dash dancing and dash>wavedashing is useful to bait a fsmash. Then wavedash>dtilt or wavedash>jab>dtilt or grab can be done. Againt, be patient. Marth's range is incredible with those tippers.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
In my opinion dash dance fair or nair and maybe down tilt is like the only option I can think of

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
you dont really open up marth on approach unless they **** up or you trick them. you're much better off being more patient than they are and using your moveset to zone him out on his approach.

if you're like me and insist on approaching even if it means losing, try for a couple approaches that are intentionally too short, and waveland backwards out of them. if they take the bait, punish. if not, you haven't really lost anything. but most importantly it makes them question if you're really coming in for future approaches and it's that uncertainty that you can use to get in for real

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Game and Watch's shield blows, but you absolutely have to use it in this matchup. Aerials out of shield are your answer to his poorly spaced aerials, and wavedash out of shield is your answer for f-smash as well as your get-out-of-this-situation-but-without-using-your-laggy roll option. Minimize shielding as much as possible for the bad stats of your shield, but use it whenever it seems necessary.

In order to enable you to minimize shielding even more, dash dancing in and out of Marth's ranges does wonders (with any character for that matter, but Game and Watch can use his range to counterpoke Marth if he whiffs any move).

Bair is a great tool for its range alone (and can even outprioiritize some of Marth's aerials). F-smash is also pretty safe and has range that can compete with Marth's own. D-tilt can be handy for shield stabbing Marth.

Basically, dash dancing with Game and Watch is pretty effective because he's already a pretty small target; so with good movement, you become ever-elusive.

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I practice gnw to this day and decided to check out the forums and see if I can help some up and coming gay men watch players lol

i'm going to the big house. you should make it if you can, i know it's far and expensive doe

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
There's a Marth in my practice group. He's not the best but I'll think of what I do against him.
In my experience as a Falcon I've really learned exactly when Marth leaves himself open. It's not really easy to explain... I'd say check out habits the Marth has. My friend forward smashes a lot. I always bait fsmashes and punish. I think the chair is a good weapon because it will clank most of Marth's moves. If you clank you usually want to throw out a dtilt I believe.
I think Marth is an opponent where you don't necessarily need to understand the character itself so much but the player behind him.

For off stage I'd say a nair is too risky. If you miss he'll get on stage and then you basically can't recover. Get good at sweet spotting if you aren't already... See if the opponent sweespots. If they don't then dtilt is good. Or chair is sometimes better depending how badly they miss the sweetspot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom