• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth M/U and other general pikachu questions

GrizzyBeer

Smash Cadet
So i keep hearing that marth is a good mu for pikachu but i just dont get it. His attacks have so much range and i just get walled out by fair's or dtlilts. Fsmash beats out alot of stuff too. maybe im just being too predictable with my approach.

Also ive always had trouble with shiek so it would be cool if i got some tips against her as well.

Im fairly new to pikachu coming from marth so im still trying to get his recovery and shffls down. how can i practice Up-b angles? just jump off the stage and go from there? i find when i try that i always put my self in a simple position to recover from that rarely happens in a real match. I saw a thread where someone drew the angles in paint was just wondering how i can practice that by myself.

Thanks for your time

N64

Smash Champion
Pika/Marth doesn't get advantage Pika until higher skill levels imo. What pika has in the matchup is his ability to stick to Marth relentlessly once he gets in. If your followups aren't on point then you are going to run into the issue of having to repeatedly get past Marth's sword, which is the hard part of the matchup. Once you're better at chasing him, he has to be super careful about when he tries to jump/fair/option out, where the wrong decision can put him in an even worse position (or dead).

As far as practicing upB, yeah just jump off. Force yourself to go to awkward/different positions, ionno. Don't be afraid to die to awkward positions in practice, that's what practice is for.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Marth can be even, but it's still a very rough even. You have to work for it and always be moving. Pikachu's spot dodge can be so useful in this MU.

You also have the ability to kill Marth at every low percents by taking him up the Electric Elevator™
Up air > land on plat > Up Air > Thunder off top
You can add an extra Up air > land on plat at lower percents to go for even earlier kills. You have a lot of time to read their DI.

As for angles, IDK......for me they just came naturally from the get go (rarely ever miss where I want to go) so my advice probably isn't relevant. Perhaps just letting the CPU edge guard you and then you start recovering from random varied spots off stage.

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
For shiek I would suggest trying to avoid approaching with fair at low percentages because at 0 to 0 you're kind of asking to get dthrow'd at least twice, grab her a lot , Pivot fsmash helps, keeping her juggled with uair, fair. One thing that I've had success with is getting her off ledge at early percentages, she doesn't stall like fox with her up b but it's pretty guess where they're going to do it, a lot of them assume the ledge is no go with you so they'll try to get near ledge and up on stage/ up in the air for you to react and grab ledge, and on mid platform if possible which you can bair, roll on stage pivot fsmash, and jump and uair out of up b lag, then fair her back off stage.Also that I forgot about that uair, with that possible thunder if they don't di well.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
somethign that nobody said yet is that pika can crouch cancel marth's aerials and grab / down tilt. dd down tilt also works well against marth when he isn't trying to down tilt out of dd since it's pretty much the same as marth's, just without the disjoint (and 1 less frame of end lag).

the electric elevator thing is a gimmick. the only time it works is when people have the most awful DI possible and you're on yoshi's story. it kinda works better on puff since she's lighter but it's not reliable at all.you're better off by ending with a nair which sends marth into an awful position for him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom