• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth/Lucina Combo Possibilities

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Hey guys, just wanted to post this here to see what you think, and more importantly what you think I missed. I was getting requests to do a video similar to my Falcon ones for Marth, dunno if the guys were from here, but I figured I may as well show it to you all.
\

Let me know if you know of any neat true-comboing techniques I don't cover, I'm still in the process of labbing with the two of them.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Having watch the video a few times, there are some that may constitute as true combo techniques.

Besides your Uair to tilt/smash, it can also be chained into a full DB or SH DB (more easier to do on heavy opponents). Nair is also capable of linking to a tilt/smash attack, but at very high percents at around 150% + (Thanks to Hilmbleep again for figuring out it was possible). Ideal if you're not able to kill with just the Uair alone on contact. Both Nair and Uair can link to a grab, though Nair is better suited for that sort of combo (though the game does not register this as a true combo, so keep that in mind). Also, the DB you mention at the beginning I believe does 15 - 18% depending on how you hit with the blade, and also the down b variation can rack up better damage to around 20% (though again, easier on heavier opponents). At higher percents at around 70% +, you can also go from Uair to Dolphin Slash. This does link in lower percents, but keep in mind the commitment you place yourself in when you do this combo variation.

Lucina wiffing is due to her slightly shorter blade than Marth's, as well as having a more standardized knockback on her moves, so comboing in terms of Uairs are a bit more difficult for her. In order for hers to work, you will have to do it around the 30% mark instead of the 45% for Marth. Her range essentially you need to compensate for.

That should be all the ones I know that I didn't see on the video, since this is just talking on true combos specifically.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Having watch the video a few times, there are some that may constitute as true combo techniques.

Besides your Uair to tilt/smash, it can also be chained into a full DB or SH DB (more easier to do on heavy opponents). Nair is also capable of linking to a tilt/smash attack, but at very high percents at around 150% + (Thanks to Hilmbleep again for figuring out it was possible). Ideal if you're not able to kill with just the Uair alone on contact. Both Nair and Uair can link to a grab, though Nair is better suited for that sort of combo (though the game does not register this as a true combo, so keep that in mind). Also, the DB you mention at the beginning I believe does 15 - 18% depending on how you hit with the blade, and also the down b variation can rack up better damage to around 20% (though again, easier on heavier opponents). At higher percents at around 70% +, you can also go from Uair to Dolphin Slash. This does link in lower percents, but keep in mind the commitment you place yourself in when you do this combo variation.

Lucina wiffing is due to her slightly shorter blade than Marth's, as well as having a more standardized knockback on her moves, so comboing in terms of Uairs are a bit more difficult for her. In order for hers to work, you will have to do it around the 30% mark instead of the 45% for Marth. Her range essentially you need to compensate for.

That should be all the ones I know that I didn't see on the video, since this is just talking on true combos specifically.
That first bit about the DB is interesting I had not thought of that. It's only something like a ~5-6 percent increase in damage but that's a better option overall at low percents.

Also I had suspecated that Lucina had a shorter reach but I didn't specify because I didn't have any empirical evidence of it. The extra reach really benefits Marth in his uair combos though, sends the opponent right into tipper range.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
That first bit about the DB is interesting I had not thought of that. It's only something like a ~5-6 percent increase in damage but that's a better option overall at low percents.

Also I had suspecated that Lucina had a shorter reach but I didn't specify because I didn't have any empirical evidence of it. The extra reach really benefits Marth in his uair combos though, sends the opponent right into tipper range.
Every bit of damage helps right xD And even if it does not truly link, your opponents can get punished hard from this if they don't get out of the way properly (depending on how you hit them initially with the Uair). Don't forget that Nair > Grab, since from there you can go into your Uair too. Marth and Lucina both got some nice setups into small combos that add up, and knowing the setups are key to making them flourish in battle.

One more thing to take into consideration is hitting with the tip with Marth using the Uair. It grants more lift and also enters opponents in longer stuns at earlier percents, so spacing it is key with Marth more than Lucina. Best to use the tipper Uair at low percents, then you hit with the base at higher percents.

Lastly, I forgot to say earlier due to posting just before dinner, is good job on the video xD Also if I may, I'd like to link to your video on my post to provide a visual example for people looking for it. Once the update comes around too, that'll definitely help people out, and better to get the word out to as many Marth/Lucina players as possible.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Every bit of damage helps right xD And even if it does not truly link, your opponents can get punished hard from this if they don't get out of the way properly (depending on how you hit them initially with the Uair). Don't forget that Nair > Grab, since from there you can go into your Uair too. Marth and Lucina both got some nice setups into small combos that add up, and knowing the setups are key to making them flourish in battle.

One more thing to take into consideration is hitting with the tip with Marth using the Uair. It grants more lift and also enters opponents in longer stuns at earlier percents, so spacing it is key with Marth more than Lucina. Best to use the tipper Uair at low percents, then you hit with the base at higher percents.

Lastly, I forgot to say earlier due to posting just before dinner, is good job on the video xD Also if I may, I'd like to link to your video on my post to provide a visual example for people looking for it. Once the update comes around too, that'll definitely help people out, and better to get the word out to as many Marth/Lucina players as possible.
Feel free to link where you want, I don't mind.

Top Bottom