• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Help?

pbrake

Smash Rookie
I just started playing Melee again, and I want to get semi-competitive with it. Besides straight up practice, how can I improve my tech skill and things like tech chasing. I can't really wave dash well but I can L cancel and simple things like that. Also, how can I implement wave dashing in my actual game? I see pros using it to simply move but I can only use dashing by flicking the analog stick. I also need help on punishing Jiggly/Fox. If anyone can answer any of these questions it would be appreciated! Thanks for the help.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
One advantage of wavedashing is that it requires jumping, which you can do in many more situations than you're free to run. You can jump, and therefore wavedash, while shielding, dashing, running, crouching, and you can do any ground action out of it, whereas while running you can only shield, dash attack, crouch, or jump. It's a very quick way to get off a platform or move off the edge backward (either to be able to use the correct aerial or be able to grab the ledge). It's a very versatile technique; there are more uses than I can reasonably list.

Tech skill is something you practice. There is no trick. You have to develop muscle memory. To learn to wavedash, wavedash. To learn to SHFFL, short hop and fast fall and l-cancel aerials, and then combine them. Any technique that doesn't require input from an opponent can and should be ground out in solo practice.

Tech chasing is a series of reactions you have to develop and be able to execute consistently and quickly. There are a lot of contingencies you have to prepare for, but the number is finite, and there are optimal ways to do it which cover the most options and give you the strongest punishes. Watch videos, take notes on how players like PPMD or M2K behave when they get a knockdown, and practice it mindfully when you get to play against human opponents. Maybe that means dthrowing more than usual in friendlies to get into that situation more often.

You'll need to be more specific about what help you need with punishing certain characters. In what position? At what percent? Are you close enough to get a grab or do you have to swing your sword to land a hit in time? It would take an essay to answer the question without any more information.

pbrake

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help! I can work on wavedashing and teching. My only opponent who I can consistently play against is my brother who plays puff/fox all of the time. Basically what I want to learn is how to punish puff in the air and how to avoid Fox's forward smash and up smash. They're the most annoying moves to me.

Toe

Smash Apprentice
If you're looking for move specific advice like that I would just recommend watching high level matchups with those characters. See what the marth does when a fox forward or. up smashes, and also what did they do wrong when they did get hit by it. If you play your brother a lot then try to figure out times that often goes for the moves so you avoid it. Often times you should just be dash dancing in and out of those moves range so ideally if he did it you could dash away and comeback in with some move. Otherwise you could always just shield it and just grab out of shield, or if its really obvious you can always counter but I think a grab would be more beneficial. I also have a lot of trouble against puff and I dont think trying to follow her up in the air and hit her is the best idea because if she is high up and you double jump up to get to her height, she can often just hit you out and now you have no jump. Try to punish her landings when she is coming down or out of jumps with and up tilt or up air. Or when she is coming back to stage and trying to grab ledge use d tilt to keep her away and if she does grab ledge wavedash back and you can forward smash.

Top Bottom