• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Fair help

SanicDaHoogheheg

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to figure out how Marth's fair works, particularly when using it with the ken combo. At around 50-60%, I usually tipper fair them, and they get launched up a short distance and I could perform the dair no problem. However when they get up to high percents like around 70-80% they start either flying too much upwards or outwards and they're out of reach. I've seen many videos of people like Mew2King hitting fairs at around 80-90%, and yet it only has a very small knockback, and it easily allows him to do a ken combo. I heard you have to hit the fair with the base of the sword? but I can't seem to find that spot: they either just fly up or outwards too far. Any help?

DV8R001

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-4406-8453
The closer to the base, the less upward they're sent up and more diagonal they're positioned. Best way to know is just to practice until you get the spacing and timing right, you just gotta go for it, man.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Well first there are many different factors in knock back (percentage, DI, weight, fall speed, hit box, exc)
A general rule of thumb tho for Ken comboing at high %s is hitting them with the base of the sword as this sends them at a lower angle and also has less knock back to keep them close. At high %s they fly further out but in the case of a Ken combo you should be moving forward as well.

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
as the percent goes up try to hit them closer to the base of your sword if you are trying to land the dair

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
if your opponent is DIing correctly, ken combo WILL NOT HIT regardless of what you hit them with.

what top players like m2k do are DI traps, that confuse their opponent to DI in. Ie. Opponent is expecting a Fsmash finisher so they do survival DI (in). M2k knows this and instead does a fair against their survival DI, giving him a ken combo. Conversely, if they expect M2k to expect, they would do combo DI (out) and M2k will not get a ken combo. It's purely DI dependent.

This is what gives the opportunity for a ken combo. It is honestly largely irrelevant with what part of the blade you hit them with. If they DI out, hitting them with the tip or base will not matter. You will not get a conversion. If they DI in and are at a reasonable percent, you can ken combo regardless of what blade part you hit them with. As long as you drift properly.

If your opponent theoretically has perfect DI, you will never get a ken combo. Top marths prey on bad DI/DI traps which give them those ken combo opportunities.

Last edited:

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Hitting with the non-tipper hitbox also has the benefit of forcing you to be physically closer to your opponent, so even if they are sent just as far (deep non tipper vs farthest non tipper), they're not sent as far from you. This is why hitting deep can be better even if the same hitbox connects.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
as the percent goes up try to hit them closer to the base of your sword if you are trying to land the dair
Basic Marth knowledge is that Marth has a sweetspot on the tip on the sword. If you want to get more damage distance yourself so the tip hits, if you want to get into Combos, like the Ken Combo, try to get closer to null damage

Top Bottom