• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth differences, melee and PM

djmath

Smash Apprentice
I mainly play Melee, but a lot of my friends are getting into PM, and naturally so is the rest of the competitive scene.

I've noticed a lot of differences between the two versions of marth, but I'm not sure how these changes effect the matchups. Also, there are a LOT of matchups that I simply don't know because of inexperience. Is there a crash course of how every character can bop you? if not can someone give a brief synopsis of similar, new, and changed matchups that marth has to deal with?

Also, are there any changes or developments with marth that strongly affect his playstyle?
Thanks yo

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Marth only has three major technical differences from Melee. He can DACUS, his dair has less endlag, and Dancing Blade's speed has been altered to be between Melee's and Brawl's, and it has more utility now.

Other than that, his frame data actually all matches Melee. Essentially, he's exactly the same. However, there are subtler engine changes that affect all characters and their interactions, of course. Crouch cancelling works a little different in PM, which isn't hugely important for Marth, but it helps his dtilt a little, I think.

As for new matchups, the best thing you can do is really just trawl through the Marth matchups thread here. The meta isn't developed enough that there are accurate matchup charts or anything, so the best info you'll find is likely just in that thread. I haven't done that much research, but Charizard seems to be one of his more unfavorable matchups, and others not in his favor include Diddy, DK, and Lucas. Again, though, for the best discussion on that, you should check out the MU thread.

P.S. Team Fire Emblem for life

D

Deleted member

dair having less end lag doesnt matter because its only good when it kills them

side b is a better conversion but crouch is better due to ASDI differences so it balances out

fthrow is a lot better in PM at low % and upthrow is a lot worse in general

marth's edge guarding kinda sucks on the premise that most chars have better recoveries. other chars dont care because they have kill moves but marth doesnt get kills that way so it sucks

dashdance isnt stupid anymore and most of the cats has real projectiles

other characters can now match your range so your range advantage is largely gone

most chars have some means to escape marth's dial-a-combo so it's much harder to maintain positional advantage for combos or basic juggles

larger stages mean you'll have a harder time getting kills and maintaining stage position

other characters now have better combos and kill potential in general. due to better recoveries, they can also edge guard you better off-stage

i can do this all day. tl;dr don't expect marth to get free autokills left and right like he did in melee.

Top Bottom