• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Counters

MettaMatt

Smash Rookie
I personally play a lot of Dr. Mario and Pikachu, and both of these characters have rather short ranges in terms of both defending an advance and moving in on opponents. I was wondering if there were any other characters that i should look out for to be able to counter a character like Marth with such a large range, or if there are any strategies i could apply with Doc or Pikachu to make this matchup a little more even.

yttik

You could try both characters Neutral Bs to either approach or to counter a defensive Marth. Pretty sure you can quite easily gimp a Side Bing Marth with Thunder Jolt too.
Shorthop Bair with Doc has quite a bit of range but Pikachu doesn't really have anything like that so just stick to usual approaches.

MettaMatt

Smash Rookie
Ok, thanks for the character tips. I won't trouble you to try to explain it to me, but thanks. I figure practice/studying the matchups will help me out. Marth is simply the bane of my existence right now haha

Sketch

Smash Cadet
I like the peach match up for marth . With turnips and just baiting lag the match up isnt bad.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
you're better off just learning the matchup rather than picking up a third character just for marth. but if you must know, good marth counters are fox, falco, sheik and puff. falcon, peach and ganon all can play the matchup well with less skill if they know what they're doing. ics can also play it well but they're not the kind of character you pick up as a secondary given how different they are from the rest of the cast.

if you play fox and falco you'll have to develop really good di habits and learn to recover well, a very hard thing to do with spacies. basically i wouldn't recommend it since you're playing two mid tiers that will play very differently from spacies. sheik and puff on the other hand are perfect. of course you'll have to learn the matchups, but they do not get pooped on nearly as badly when marth gets a hit or sends them off stage.

if you're uncomfortable with sheik or puff for some reason, falcon, peach or ganon are your next best bets. falcon is similar to the space animals in the sense that you will get comboed hard and you're pretty much dead off stage. but you get to poop on marth whenever you get a grab and it's a very much playable matchup if you learn it. people used to think that peach was bad vs marth but things have changed. ganon is something many marths don't really consider but it's technically an even matchup. and in the hands of a player that knows that matchup vs a marth that doesn't know it ganon will have the advantage.

trilok

Smash Apprentice
Im pretty sure dr mario actually does relatively well against marth if you learned the matchup.
If you are adamant about a counter, falco wrecks marth on all stages but final destination, and DL is marth's worst stage in most matchups

Top Bottom