• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

marth can be CG

Met

Smash Ace
marth, sonic, pit, wolf, samus, Ike..... and whoever else you say can't be chain grabbed can unless its luigi or they fall down case closed. this should be sticked lol because apparently a majority of DDD mains have there head in there butt and i am making this post because i keep saying that they can and they never listen. disregard this post if you knew this ( you are a good person )
and i swear if someone tells me that marth can get out with his up-b i will ruin there christmas.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
upB escapes are only possible when you only use a normal dash grab for CGs.
i posted before on this subject.
-----------------------

1. normal dash grab: tumbling animation. sonic/pit can escape with upB

2.shield canceled grab: better than dash grab. longer reach[slide] and is inescapable.
but since you slide far you cross stages faster. just dash, hold shield, then grab.

3.dashing shield grab: cubaisdeath's vid shows these.
dash forward after dthrow, immediately shield while holding forward + grab.
if done right you will see a shield pop up before the grab.
(there will be no tumbling animation)
if you mess up the timing you roll instead.
you can do many more chaingrabs per stage length with this

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
your pretty arrogant. lol and asking for a sticky for such obvious things. NO DUH marth and pit and chars. like that can be chain grabed. there is a LIST of about 12 chars that cant be like g&w, olimar,shiek.

seriously dude...

whut?

Smash Journeyman
your pretty arrogant. lol and asking for a sticky for such obvious things. NO DUH marth and pit and chars. like that can be chain grabed. there is a LIST of about 12 chars that cant be like g&w, olimar,shiek.

seriously dude...

seriously? im pretty sure he was kidding about the sticky, hence the classic "lol".
I dont know why the word "obvious" is coming from you Criz since you didnt know what a dashing shield grab was until about a week ago. + you calling samusT a CG noob on his thread when he was doing the CG fine.

your post seems more arrogant than the original one, theres no need to get sand in your vag, he is right. Its such a misconception that marth and others can escape the CG with their upBs, this is one of the only intelligent threads ive seen all month. at least hes trying to educate people, when its obvious not so many people are not educated on these forums.

much respect to those who deserve it,
and forgiveness for the Aholes.

-whut?-

EdSam

Smash Cadet
marth, sonic, pit, wolf, samus, Ike..... and whoever else you say can't be chain grabbed can unless its luigi or they fall down case closed. this should be sticked lol because apparently a majority of DDD mains have there head in there butt and i am making this post because i keep saying that they can and they never listen. disregard this post if you knew this ( you are a good person )
and i swear if someone tells me that marth can get out with his up-b i will ruin there christmas.
How are we supposed to believe this when you say it in such a harsh tone? I want to believe you but you haven't supplied any evidence to support your claims. And if you are correct, then I feel the reason so many DDD players are left in the dark (including myself) is because of the inefficiency of these boards. Instead of yelling at other, less knowledgable DDD players, it would clearly be more productive to provide statements backed up with data and videos so people can learn and become better. I'm not trying to be a jerk it's just that I don't even know the answer to this much argued topic and I would LOVE to find out the real answer...

upB escapes are only possible when you only use a normal dash grab for CGs.
i posted before on this subject.
-----------------------

1. normal dash grab: tumbling animation. sonic/pit can escape with upB

2.shield canceled grab: better than dash grab. longer reach[slide] and is inescapable.
but since you slide far you cross stages faster. just dash then hit shield+grab.

3.dashing shield grab: cubaisdeath's vid shows these.
dash forward after dthrow, immediately shield while holding forward + grab.
if done right you will see a shield pop up before the grab.
(there will be no tumbling animation)
if you mess up the timing you roll instead.
you can do many more chaingrabs per stage length with this
I don't understand the differences. To my knowledge, there are only 2 kinds of grabs: dash grab and the one where you see the shield appear just before you grab. Your explanations of how to perform these are unclear and if there really is a 3rd type of grab, I (and probably others) would love to understand how to do it and its benefits. Since the way these grabs are performed are similar, their descriptions must require a lot of detail to really describe the differences.

From what I understand, if you dash and hit shield+grab, this results in a dash grab and DDD even does the same tumbling animation if he misses.

I really wish there was an official stickied topic on this issue :dizzy:

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Marth, and Pit are both CGable its just really hard. They both go very far away after the down throw and your timing needs to be spot on to get them. If your timing isnt great marth will upB out of it. His upB is extremely fast and has invincibility frames. So yes, he is CGable but you only have a few frames or you take a mouthful of sweet-spotted damage

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
EdSam, let's put it this way. Go into training mode, pick Dedede, and whoever else as your training dummy. Once you get to the stage, move the opponent to the edge so you have as much room as possible.

So, what you do, is do a dash, then a shield, then a grab, in that order. Don't press shield and A at the same time, there should be a small delay. Don't try it on your opponent just yet, keep practicing that until you can do it pretty fast and consistent. If you're doing it correctly, your shield should pop up after the dash, THEN a grab will take place. If you try it on an opponent, your CG's will be much faster, and you should be able to get around 40% in from going one side to the other with just grabs.

I might make a video on it if people still don't understand.

EdSam

Smash Cadet
So, what you do, is do a dash, then a shield, then a grab, in that order. Don't press shield and A at the same time, there should be a small delay. Don't try it on your opponent just yet, keep practicing that until you can do it pretty fast and consistent. If you're doing it correctly, your shield should pop up after the dash, THEN a grab will take place. If you try it on an opponent, your CG's will be much faster, and you should be able to get around 40% in from going one side to the other with just grabs.
Thanks, I understand that this can be done, its just that Whut? posted 3 types of grabs and I only thought there were two. Is this method really fastest/best? I've tried it during matches, and although I'm sure that I'm doing it too slowly, the timing seems very tight, with little room for error.

samdaballer

Smash Ace
how is the shield canceled grab and the dashing shield grab timing different? what i don't understand is that in the dashing shield grab, do you still hold shield as your pressing a, or do you just tap the shield button then press a quickly?

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
pink, im pretty sure a shield wont pop up unless youre still holding forward, the way you described is the shield canceled CG.
My bad, I wasn't clear on explaining that this should only happen when you're doing it slow. At normal speed it won't pop up.

I probably WILL make that video, to make sure everyone is on the same page. Not until much later, when everyone in my house is asleep, though.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
I tested this again
Here is some reading for people who are interested. (You should be interested)

Go into training mode, put it to 1/4th speed, use marth as an opponent.
Dthrow, now as soon as ddd can dash forward immediately press Z.
when i say as soon, you have to be frame perfect, just keep mashing forward until you see ddd move (its in slow motion).
The normal dash grab will be too far from marth to connect, and youll only tumble in front of him.
THIS, is why marth can escape with upb, and other characters, they can react then.
Normal dash grabs do not work.

Do the same thing, except right after the dthrow-
be frame perfect to dash , cancel it by holding R, then immediately grab .
no shield will pop up, but you will grab marth, right after the dthrow.
where the normal dash grab would fail.
this is how you stop upB escapes.
The shield cancels the dash, it makes ddd slide to a stop. except you dont stop, you grab.
it has to do with ddds speed after canceling a dash.
thats what shield canceled grabs are,
youll know that you did them right if you can chaingrab faster than if you used a normal dash grab.

(ill make this quick..)
Dashing shield grabs work just the same but you do not slide,
a shield pops up for a standing grab, out of a dash.
(your standing grab range is better then dashing G.range)
im still testing them due to how strange they are.
1.dash forward
2.press shield
3.hold forward(while the shield is canceling the dash)
4.press grab, while holding forward and shield.
it doesnt seem to work against upB escapes, it takes too long to initiate.
you can do many more CGs per stage length though.

Mr.Trite

Smash Apprentice
I believe whut has no idea how the game works.

You tumble if you shield grab during the initial dash animation. During the trot as in fox trot if you will.

You have to go into your actual dash before shield grabbing.

whut?

Smash Journeyman

You tumble if you shield grab during the initial dash animation. During the trot as in fox trot if you will.

youre very quick to be an Ahole, re-read what i wrote.
"The dashing shield grabs are strange" i know you cant SG during the initial trot,
thats why i quote the dashing SG "takes longer".
i said its impractical for chaingrabs, you can only SG out of a full dash,
hence its uselessness against upB escapes.

i see too many videos of ddds who cant CG properly,
so i try to help and you tell me i dont know how brawl works?
maybe youre the one who doesnt know

Antichrist

Smash Cadet

all i know is that Whut gave me a 1 on 1 tutorial, and sheilded grab works best, though i do agree that you have to start the animation before trying to sheild and grab, i can assure you that Whut is a very good Dedede, so if you are saying he doesnt understand the game, you are highly mistaken.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
R+A while dashing still produces a regular dashing grab. Try it just on the stage in the opposite direction of your opponent in training mode/infinite time match. You have to delay the "A" press in order to produce the dashing shield grab. Or maybe it's because I'm trying it too early? o_O

samdaballer

Smash Ace
R+A while dashing still produces a regular dashing grab. Try it just on the stage in the opposite direction of your opponent in training mode/infinite time match. You have to delay the "A" press in order to produce the dashing shield grab. Or maybe it's because I'm trying it too early? o_O
yes the difference between a shield canceled grab and the other method is in the timing of pressing a, pressing a quickly will not visibly bring up the shield but it makes the character slide, hence increasing his grab range versus a normal running grab where you just press z. But the running shield grab, you have to press A a little later after you shield, then grab, if you do this right, you shouldn't slide after you have grabbed him. in the shield canceled grab you slide

whut?

Smash Journeyman
edit: what the above post said!

the shield canceled grab requires delay on the grab, after holding shield.
i just hope the people in the ddd community who dont know this CG will learn it.
it was found out a long time ago(?)but nobody cared since it was at the release of brawl,
& everyone thought ddds chaingrab was inescapable

EdSam

Smash Cadet
So, let me get this straight. Even though, while dashing, pressing either Z or R+A both show DDD's tumbling animation (if he doesn't land the grab), they produce different grabs?

I'm annoyed that I can't test this out at the moment, my wii remote is on the fritz so I can't even start my game >_>

CO18

Smash Hero
So, let me get this straight. Even though, while dashing, pressing either Z or R+A both show DDD's tumbling animation (if he doesn't land the grab), they produce different grabs?

I'm annoyed that I can't test this out at the moment, my wii remote is on the fritz so I can't even start my game >_>
I'm not entirely sure what whut means by pressing shield+ A at the same time.

I'm pretty certain you have to press Shield first then quickly press A afterwards to perform a shield canceled grab wheter they work both ways im not entirely sure but I don't believe they do, due to the same tumbling animation you get when pressing Shield+A at the same time as you would a dashing grab.

He's right about the other 2 however.

A Shield canceled grab and a dashing grab both deal 40% damage when used across the entire length of FD in training mode.

A dashing shield grab allows you to perform more, across FD if performing the dashing shield grab correctly you should be able to get in 2 extra grabs and deal 54% damage.

Dashing shield grab is the hardest to do consistently, but usually if you do it wrong you'll end up performing a shield canceled grab anyway or you'll just simply roll.

Also, it seems you pretty much have to be frame perfect to chaingrab marth.

Pit is much easier and should easily be cged if you do a shield canceled grab.

Sonic can't get out of any of them. Sonic shouldn't be able to up+b out of your chaingrab regardless of which type of chaingrab you perform.

whut?

Smash Journeyman
by R+A i meant hold shield, then you press grab,
i couldnt tell when i was testing about the R+A simultaneously,
i should probably rephrase that.
marths has to be frame perfect but with the shield canceled grab it seems you can chaingrab marth no problem, just as easy as anyone else.
the CG is strange and its leading to some confusion here,
there are different ways to time it and few variations.

samdaballer

Smash Ace

EXACTLY, shield canceled grab has more range and is quicker, therefore making it harder to escape

Met

Smash Ace
you know I only say it in a harsh tone to get people to read it cause I tried just saying it normally but no one listened. And like whut said it has been known before the game even came out in the U.S.

and thank you whut for explaining it.

Top Bottom