• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Buff Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

DISCLAIMER: This is just a thread for discussing future buffs that Marth enthusiasts want, and are not official.

If this is the wrong place to post this thread, please move it to the appropriate part of these forums. I thought posting a wishlist about Marth in the Marth Discussion Area was fitting.

Now, we all know that Marth and the clone, Lucina, are not doing very well in the competitive scene (last time I checked, at least.) The Version 1.0.8 patches set Marth and Lucina on the right track, but I think it is safe to say that it is not enough. Main problems are: An unreliable kill throw, a combo throw that sends opposing fighters miles away, a lackluster grab range, and pretty odd amounts of end/landing lag on various aerials and tilts. Seriously, Marth being forced to wait 28 frames (nearly half a second) of landing lag when landing with a Down Air is a bit ridiculous.

I am going to start the buff wishlist with my own ideas:

Jab 1:
If it isn't too broken, maybe reduce the amount of total frames to make follow ups from Jab 1 a little easier.

Up Tilt:
Tiny bit less ending lag.

Forward Tilt:
Less ending lag, maybe more active hitbox frames if less ending lag is not enough.

Forward Aerial:
Needs less ending and landing lag, maybe more frames of active hitboxes if you want to be generous.

Down Aerial:
A generous reduction in landing lag is totally acceptable, less total frames.

Standing, Dash, and Pivot Grabs:
Improvement in grab range, but make sure it is not too much.

Up Throw:
Greater knock back scaling and greater base knock back. Lets face it, it's frustrating when up throw doesn't kill.

Down Throw:
Drastically reduced base knock back. Maybe slight increase increased knock back scaling to balance the heavy "nerf" to base knock back. This allows down throw to become the glorious combo throw it deserves to be.

Reduced total frames in the throw animation to further make this throw a better combo starter.

If any of these break Marth, don't hesitate to say against said wished change. Just don't spout curses and such, it is not going to solve anything. I also did not forget about the potential waifu, Lucina. I will post more wishlists like this one on other character threads on the forums (If it is allowed, of course.)

SilverForUbers

Smash Master
NNID
Silver4Ubers
Definitely less end lag on his Fair. With less lag he'll be able to SH Double Fair and be able to create set ups with SH Fair to Uair.

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
All he "needs" to be high to top tier is landing lag and frame reductions on his aerials. I'd literally be happy with just the forward air being touched so that it combos into itself/other aerials. I mean, Ikes forward air has the same amount of landing lag (or less?) than marths for almost double the damage and with more shield pushback etc. Anything else is wishful in my opinion. We all can wish for a grab like roys, but it's unlikely to happen :D.

D

Deleted member

All he "needs" to be high to top tier is landing lag and frame reductions on his aerials. I'd literally be happy with just the forward air being touched so that it combos into itself/other aerials. I mean, Ikes forward air has the same amount of landing lag (or less?) than marths for almost double the damage and with more shield pushback etc. Anything else is wishful in my opinion. We all can wish for a grab like roys, but it's unlikely to happen :D.
I agree with the hopes of an improved Forward Aerial. What I was going for with my changes to the first hit of Jab and Forward Air is that I wanted Jab 1 into short hop double Forward Air to be easier to pull off (you are mostly going to hit opponents with the sour spot of the sword, so it's not too broken, right?). If Jab 1 lost its ability to Jab Lock, why not make it better at its new use?

My suggested throw changes are for improved follow up setup and a more reliable kill throw. I am a firm believer that a character will struggle if they lack both a combo throw and/or a kill throw. If Down Throw became a strong combo throw, then to balance that, give it more knock back scaling. If Up Throw becomes a reliable kill throw, then you diminish any chance of follow ups and bump up the damage done with that throw. Also, make Down throw deal less damage to further balance the much needed buff to his lacking combo throw. I am not very good at balancing things, but I think I did a good job carefully choosing and tweaking what the Hero King needed to at least be viable. About Lucina, make her have even less landing lag than Marth, bump up the damage of her attacks a bit, and make her faster by lowering the end lag/ startup of her moves, only way to make Female Marth better since she has less potential damage than Marth.

My buff priority list:

Improved aerials, tilts and jab > Improved combo throw and kill throw > Improved reach and hitboxes > grab range nerf buff

Dr. Bran

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2062-9647-8749
As long as his aerials get less landing lag and his throws get some reliable follow-ups, I'd be happy.

Xelion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MGSnake
F-air end lag and landing lag need reductions.
D-air end lag and landing lag need huge reduction, I think even Ike's D-air has less landing lag than Marth's.
Throw combos out of forward and down throw.

Roy of Pharae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4442-1640-3373
give him range, I hate trying to tipper f-smash with that dagger of his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom