• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth and killing pikmins = owned T_T

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I can't find the week in the post about the matchups (because it isn't updated) so here it is. What's the strategy against a Marth? He outranges me in every move except grab and fsmash, and also his disjointed hitbox kills my pikminz so... i have like no option. I get a lot of times faired into fsmash and i can't do nothing :S

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I can't find the week in the post about the matchups (because it isn't updated) so here it is. What's the strategy against a Marth? He outranges me in every move except grab and fsmash, and also his disjointed hitbox kills my pikminz so... i have like no option. I get a lot of times faired into fsmash and i can't do nothing :S
I don't have a bunch of time, but marth is really effectively used around my area sooooo...

1) PIVOT GRAB - The range is incredible and marth can't reach a wall of pain through it.

2) Don't latch any pikmin other than white and purple - he'll kill the others and you need range.

3) WOP in the same way that marth is...fair or bair - and retract with DI.

4) The best place to be is right on top of marth - up tilt or nair or dsmash.

5) Work on spotdodging, you'll need it big time...but do not spot dodge the side b...it won't work.

6)You will NEED the whistle to recover...period.

7)Use your fastest moves...jabs...ftilt, uptilt...

8)I think ground based is the way to go here...but to be honest...shanus will disagree and he could be right as well.

here are some examples of what i'm saying.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182397

Good luck

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
When he approaches you in the air UP+B from the ground. Wow you out ranged Marth...

on the Ground run away and pivot grab.

Zori

Smash Champion
Olimar vs Marth is all about control You really need to stay on top of him as you would a metaknight player.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
I main Marth, and if you desperately need to win, and you dont mind camping, camp T_T. Theres very little a marth can do against am olimar that just uses pikmin toss , f-smash, and shield grab spamming olimar.

geekd

Smash Apprentice
I have found marth matches to be easily won when they fair and fsmash like there's no tomorrow. Sheild grab combos and spot-dodge to dsmash work wonders. Marth is a ***** to deal with when he goes heavy on the fb. Can't sheild or dodge it--to deal with this I usually reverse sh and then DI back into him with a fair (usually works well when he goes for the down variation). I love tossing purples at him too and using upb works when used sparingly. You must STAY ON THE STAGE at all cost! If you are comboed off shrink is right: whistle armor may be your only hope. Although this is a tough match, most marths I play with agree that my olimar is their hardest match-up too. A good marth will never let you breath--try to return the favor.

Rocann

Smash Lord
pivot grabs pivot grabs PIVOT GRABS

run underneath him when he goes to fair and either bair, RAR up a fair, etc do that ****

don't get hit with dancing blade, but shielding through will work usually, just watch out for shield breakers after that because they will be coming

marth's edgeguarding is serious business, whistle is sort of useful but I usually airdodge anyway. except when they come at you with quick succession fairs you can whistle in that rhythm

make sure you always have as full a line as possible, marth is one of the best at just wrecking all your pikmin so throw two - pluck or w/e and pluck every time he starts WOPing at you as his approach, it gives you more time than you think

like shrink said jabs nairs dsmashes basically the quickest biggest hitbox stuff you can get, if he's behind you and you jab one way it's no big, second jab hits behind olimar pretty far.

I really wish I had recorded some of my matches vs dannykat or jturley

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
pivot grabs pivot grabs PIVOT GRABS

run underneath him when he goes to fair and either bair, RAR up a fair, etc do that ****

don't get hit with dancing blade, but shielding through will work usually, just watch out for shield breakers after that because they will be coming

marth's edgeguarding is serious business, whistle is sort of useful but I usually airdodge anyway. except when they come at you with quick succession fairs you can whistle in that rhythm

make sure you always have as full a line as possible, marth is one of the best at just wrecking all your pikmin so throw two - pluck or w/e and pluck every time he starts WOPing at you as his approach, it gives you more time than you think

like shrink said jabs nairs dsmashes basically the quickest biggest hitbox stuff you can get, if he's behind you and you jab one way it's no big, second jab hits behind olimar pretty far.

I really wish I had recorded some of my matches vs dannykat or jturley
Last time I played dannykat, he wrecked my olimar...:D...that was a long long time ago though

Rocann

Smash Lord
mm we played like a month ago and I 2-0'd him in GB then we played friendlies and I never lost. but he lives pretty far away and it was wifi. good connection though. great marth. I recorded a couple vs SK92's falco and DK last night if you want me to put them up

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I remember using one pikmin more effectively than 6 pikmin. But if you feel uncomfortable using just one, go ahead and get out some purples and run away using F+B like the jerk Olimar should be played. (Which myself and most other players do not do.. I think.)

asob4

Smash Champion
purples are the only way oli stands a chance against marth
they fuuuck him up completely and allow the perfect opening for some rapage

Top Bottom