• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

marios throws

hamonyou

Smash Cadet
marios up and down throw can chain grab alot of people, like marth and sheik, and his ariels are pretty good, but how do you use his forward arial effectivly? i can never seem to hit with it often and you can really fast fall it or you miss the attack. but his back air is really good for edgehoging

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
So are you having problems with throws or sweetspotting fair? Your title's kinda misleading.

And if it's the fair, you'll just have to practice 'til you get a feel for it (training mode ftw). =p And you can definitely fast fall it (even from a short hop).

hamonyou

Smash Cadet
yeah i cant really work it into any good combos , but i really like his neatral air, and is there any way to help his recovery?

VGmasta

Smash Lord
IMO, the F-air is a difficult aerial to throw into the middle of a combo. The only time I attempt adding a F-air is if I land an Uptilt or an Up-air on a opponent that has at least 80% damage before the Up-air/Uptilt lands. If the Up-tilt/Up-air sends them off stage, then a F-air will spike them down unless they meteor cancel.

As Mario, I think the F-air is definitely better as a combo starter since the F-air puts standing opponents in hit stun, allowing you to connect other moves as long as you L-cancel the F-air.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
SHFFL fair is definitely a good combo starter. And typically it just lines up so well you don't have to worry about your spacing. You'll probably find it easier to learn than a standard fair.

And it's a much more situational move to actually throw into a combo. In any combo, you're better off with the faster moves, and often the ones with little knockback. Use fair more for its priority if you're gutsy enough to play the aerial game.

hamonyou

Smash Cadet
yeah, just last week i just finally got the whole shffl thing and all the advanced techniques started coming together for me, and now i can shffl and wavedash well, and i really just like shffling marios neutral airs althe way across the stage and then edge guarding by wavedashing off the edge, and then using bair to keep them away.
the only thing i really dont like is you cant be extremely agressive with your edgeguards because marios recovery is just so terrible

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the stage. Mario's cape and walljump can get you out of a lot of situations. And Mario actually has a really good edgeguard game. Bair and dsmash seem to have good priority, and cape-ing is effective on a lot of high tier characters.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Forward B is effective on many characters' third jumps. Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, even Sheik and Peach I believe (just to name upper tier).

It has more abstract and situational uses with positioning, etc., but that'll take practice and your own judgment.

hamonyou

Smash Cadet
ok, and would you consider usig his fireballs as an approach kinda like falcos lasers? i know there alot slower but they seem pretty effective

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Well, they can't be lag-canceled, so yeah, they're slow. But they do help discourage the opponent's approach and/or facilitate your own. Samus is a good example. A constant barrage of fireballs will prevent her from effectively using her missiles.

Edit: And as for the Falco comparison, unfortunately his lasers automatically cancel when he lands. And Falco's fast enough to utilize that in close combat. Using Mario's fireballs in close quarters is almost always a bad idea. =p

Top Bottom