• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's options when edgegaurding?

Stimpy

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious to what other Mario users do when they have their opponent off the stage. I just can't seem to find something that works. Maybe the fludd?

Help!

Smash Journeyman
fair and bairs are good
plus raining down fireballs then going in with a fair or nair or even uair if they jump or are above or something

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
use fludd to ledge guard against Ness and lucas when they're using their up b's. It will push them out of position while they are controlling the projectile. Looks really funny to see them fall to their doom and they can't do anything about it :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario has a lot going for him when it comes to ledgeguarding.

Believe it or not, the Cape is still decent for ledgeguarding. While the obvious application is reversing Up-Bs, the Cape actually pushes people away from the stage without making them flinch, which can be enough to stop others from grabbing a ledge.

B-airs are really really good for ledgeguarding. Great range, knockback, decent trajectory, and super quick.

The F-air is also decent. It's been largely improved in the transition of Melee to Brawl because it's much easier to return after using the F-air off stage.

The FLUDD is deceptively good for ledgeguarding, but it needs to be fully charged. A fully charged FLUDD can significantly slow down a recovering opponent either preventing them from reaching the stage, or giving you a lot more time to hit them with something else. Just charge it, throw your opponent off, and aim carefully. It really makes ledgeguarding a lot easier for Mario.

Oh yeah, and don't forget Fireballs. =P

Seven11

Smash Cadet
Mario has a lot going for him when it comes to ledgeguarding.

Believe it or not, the Cape is still decent for ledgeguarding. While the obvious application is reversing Up-Bs, the Cape actually pushes people away from the stage without making them flinch, which can be enough to stop others from grabbing a ledge.

B-airs are really really good for ledgeguarding. Great range, knockback, decent trajectory, and super quick.

The F-air is also decent. It's been largely improved in the transition of Melee to Brawl because it's much easier to return after using the F-air off stage.

The FLUDD is deceptively good for ledgeguarding, but it needs to be fully charged. A fully charged FLUDD can significantly slow down a recovering opponent either preventing them from reaching the stage, or giving you a lot more time to hit them with something else. Just charge it, throw your opponent off, and aim carefully. It really makes ledgeguarding a lot easier for Mario.

Oh yeah, and don't forget Fireballs. =P
I like to mix up my edge game between fireballs and u-airs. if someone is used to you trying to annoy them with fireballs as they recover and you suddenly burst out to them with an u-air, they usually freeze and allow the kill.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Pretty much any air works well except for d-air. If their percentage is high I like to use N-air, just because I feel the priority is higher than with B-air. B-air is nice for stage spikes on levels where that is an option. And F-air is nice for a spike, but its a bit hard to pull off, I would only use it on someone who seems a little clueless on their recovery approach or is a little floatier than most characters. I dont really know what u-air is good for since I dont use it a lot, I mostly only use it if my other airs are getting a bit stale.

Shooting fireballs to ensure some extra damage just in case they do recover is always a good option, just dont overdo it and let them get too close before you can hit them with an aerial.

I find FLUDD a bit hard to use, but its probably because Im not used to it, I have seen it used remarkably well before though, so I would say its a good option, but be sure to use it with the right timing, and if your opponent is one to approach from under the ledge, just forget about it completely.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Generally you use F.L.U.D.D. for edgeguarding when your opponent is in helpless or using their final recovery move. The mistakes that most people make are that they tend to use the F.L.U.D.D. too early and they misjudge their distance.

*F.L.U.D.D. is a little tough to aim but once you've got the hang of the aim, remember to always aim for the tip of the head for maximum pushback*

*The Superman combo is good example of how the F.L.U.D.D. should be used for edgeguarding*

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
F.L.U.D.D. is quite useless on opponents with excellent recovery skills. Of course it does have its uses against those with awful third jumps.

Other ways to edge-guard are the f-air, the f-smash, u-smash, even the d-smash can be considered.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No, the FLUDD is useless if you suck at ledgeguarding. >_>

Okay admittedly it won't really work against R.O.B. too well. Against almost everything else it can be extremely helpful.

???????

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to simply push your opponents, position them; it's all about positioning and SPACING!

apmpnmdslkbk

Smash Journeyman
here are some pointers on cape guarding

A. this might work for me but i find that the only way for me to get a good edge guard going is to stay at the egde and just throw them off then you have three perfect cape guarding chances.

1. If they try and come back up to the platform with a quick jump right after they are thrown (asuming you threw them at 0%) jump and cape then when then try and use their up special just cape again and thus you have killed your opponent without even trying

2. If they back of from the platform chase them (the cape kind of gives you a little extra jump) and cape the and then just grab the ledge and they will be screwed.

3. If they fall straight down just repeat 2.

if you feel like throwing a couple of fludd sprays or firballs in there go ahead these are just some suggestions that work for me. With 1. I was able to kill a bowser when I was at 0% and he was at 14% if that makes any difference

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
The cape can reverse and push opponents forward when they are idle from their third jump. Enough said, I've gotten plenty of kills with the cape. The cape is different, but definitley not nerfed.

as for mario's edgegaurding techniques, hanging on the edge and either caping opposite "cape fake or cape stall", or bair to upB off and back on the edge which what I tend to call layups.

'Fro

Smash Lord
I find it odd that very few people have mentioned fireballs for recoveries from below. At least, it can gimp double-jumps very quickly to set up your caping/aerials/edge-hogging.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Wavebounce with the cape for spacing, use the F.L.U.D.D. for gimping, positioning, and spacing, and use Uairs, reverse Uairs (My favorite), and Bairs (Fair too if you can pull it off).

*Try the Superman combo; F.L.U.D.D. to cape (This can be done consecutively but requires good spacing)*

*Use the slingshot effect off the edge with the cape (A.K.A. Cape Gliding); dash and use the cape a little before you go right off the ledge (Timing is a little tricky but pretty simple overall)*

*Don’t forget to aim for the tip of the head with the F.L.U.D.D. for maximum pushback*

*Here's a video of the Cape Glide (Not mine): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCkv2A4Oe9s*

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
back air is good against a small enemy or someone with high damage
foward air is good against big enemies and slow in the air characters

Brownpack

Smash Cadet
the edgegrab to reverse cape to grab ledge again is always good. the best part about it is you never have to worry about grabbing the ledge again.

also, grabbing ledge to short fall, to bair is pretty good.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Reverse Uair is definitely good to know how to use as an edgeguard and sometimes is a good alternative to the Bair.

*Try to WoP your opponent off the ledge and finish them with a reverse Uair*

OMAR the O

Smash Cadet
I'm all about aggressively jumping far out and going for a bair or uair. Hitting you opponent with a bair when your somewhat far from the edge can put them away at quite low percentages.

I mess up far too often when I attempt to edge with the cape so I don't try that unless I'm up a couple stocks.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
I love caping their second jump and following up with the FLUDD pump to the face,just looking at the character just floating next to the ledge desperately trying to grab it makes all worth while practicing.
only characters I have problems with doing that are jigg's,R.O.B.,Lucario,DK(his up-B just blast's right through :( ),peach,zelda,iceclimbers,meta-knight,sonic,snake and G&W(sometimes)

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Depends on who I'm facing. I like to switch up between Bairs, Superman Combo, and Fairs (sometimes, I can get pretty aggressive). I think that Mario's options for edgeguarding are the most versatile of any character in brawl.

Top Bottom