• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's new taunts.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So it looks like Mario has 2 new taunts. One where he does a thumbs up, and one where Cappy spins around him.

But are those the only two? Or have all three of his taunts been redone? If not, which taunt is the same from Smash 4?

I'd like to ask people who have played the demo because I'm sure they know but I never see antone talking about it.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
According to the SmashWiki, throwing Cappy around himself replaces his up taunt (growing big like he got a Mushroom) and the thumbs up replaces his side taunt (spinning around while taking off his hat), meaning that his down taunt (spinning around with his arms and legs out like the SMB death animation) stays the same.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’ll miss his up taunt...wish that stayed while the other two were replaced by the new taunts

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My personal favorite is the one where he twirls around and takes off his hat. I often do that taunt after throwing someone off the stage and then I say "So long King Bowser!"

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the Cappy taunt is the same as Ganondorf's sword taunt from Brawl onward: a message from Sakurai that says, "Yes, we know you want Cappy. No, we're not changing his moveset because of it."

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I'll miss Mario's Growing Large taunt. I wasn't really a fan of the Donkey Kong death animation.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
My problem with the growing animation is that it lasted too long. Taunts should be quick enoughto perform after you kill someone and then immediately get back into battle.

Perhaps if they sped it up?

Arthur97

Smash Master
My problem with the growing animation is that it lasted too long. Taunts should be quick enoughto perform after you kill someone and then immediately get back into battle.

Perhaps if they sped it up?
Aren't they all cancelable now?

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I like the new taunts, feels more Mario like now.

Although I'll miss the twirl.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I think the Cappy taunt is the same as Ganondorf's sword taunt from Brawl onward: a message from Sakurai that says, "Yes, we know you want Cappy. No, we're not changing his moveset because of it."
Except Ganondorf now uses his sword. Therefore, according to this logic, Mario will eventually get Cappy as an actual move.

In regards to the taunts, I will miss the SMB Power-Up taunt. Good-bye growth taunt, you will be missed.

(I only used that taunt while playing Giant Smash with Super Mushrooms just to show that Mario is technically the biggest character in the game)

Drarky

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1607-4919-4337
The thumbs up taunt looks like one of those very salt inducing taunts tbh. Your opponent SDs? Throw that taunt at them like saying "good job you moron.".

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I’m glad they changed his up taunt, that was one of the worst taunts in the game. Shame about side taunt, though, that one was perfect.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m glad they changed his up taunt, that was one of the worst taunts in the game. Shame about side taunt, though, that one was perfect.
I gotta disagree with you there...I loved his old up taunt (was a great disrespect taunt to cocky players on For Glory)

D

Deleted member

Liking all of the new ones pretty nice the thumbs up and Cappy swirling around. Are good touches.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Guess I’m in the minority here, but I’ve never liked his up-taunt. It takes forever, his stance is so awkward and boring, and it feels completely devoid of personality (which is a problem I have with Smash Bros Mario as a whole).

Mario’s new taunts make him act more like the fun, beloved mascot he is, and they are a huge step up, imo.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Guess I’m in the minority here, but I’ve never liked his up-taunt. It takes forever, his stance is so awkward and boring, and it feels completely devoid of personality (which is a problem I have with Smash Bros Mario as a whole).

Mario’s new taunts make him act more like the fun, beloved mascot he is, and they are a huge step up, imo.
The pose mimicked the pose he (and Luigi) had in the original Super Mario Bros. (and maybe Mario Bros.). It was supposed to be that way.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The pose mimicked the pose he (and Luigi) had in the original Super Mario Bros. (and maybe Mario Bros.). It was supposed to be that way.
Yes, I know. It’s just that is blank stare combined with the boring pose makes for a lame taunt, especially with how drawn out it is. Mario looks like a robot.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, I know. It’s just that is blank stare combined with the boring pose makes for a lame taunt, especially with how drawn out it is.
Eh, it was a classic. And with taunt canceling, the length isn't as much of an issue. Though, I wonder if the fact that canceling could result in a rapid shift in size may have had something to do with it being cut.

D

Deleted member

I did enjoy the old ones but really going to like the new taunts. Ether way they are all good, to me.

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
The thumbs up one is just amazing. Doing that after a fair spike will be hilarious.

D

Deleted member

I really need to remember that, I really time his fair badly heck, I need to become a better Mario main in general. But spiking then and giving the thumbs up after that’s just rich.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
It looks like Ultimate removed Mario's Magic Mushroom taunt, which I'm glad it did so. I know that the taunt represents Mario and the Magic Mushroom power-up, but it isn't that cool to watch and It's pretty long compared to other taunts. Plus, I like taunts that infuriate my enemy, like Peach's side taunt

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
It looks like Ultimate removed Mario's Magic Mushroom taunt, which I'm glad it did so. I know that the taunt represents Mario and the Magic Mushroom power-up, but it isn't that cool to watch and It's pretty long compared to other taunts. Plus, I like taunts that infuriate my enemy, like Peach's side taunt
Since when was it called a "Magic" mushroom?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm going to miss Mario's size growth taunt, as it has been his most notable taunt since Smash 64. On the other hand, it has one of the longest animation lengths of any taunt, so you couldn't risk using it if you didn't Star KO your opponent.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm going to miss Mario's size growth taunt, as it has been his most notable taunt since Smash 64. On the other hand, it has one of the longest animation lengths of any taunt, so you couldn't risk using it if you didn't Star KO your opponent.
But did they not add taunt canceling for everyone?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Mario could interrupt his taunt early in Smash 64, but not in the later Smash Bros. installments.
I've read that in Ultimate, everyone can cancel taunts so the length of the taunt shouldn't be an issue. However, I wonder if the abrupt size change of cancelling could have been an issue, but if he really could cancel in the original, then it should not have been a major factor.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've read that in Ultimate, everyone can cancel taunts so the length of the taunt shouldn't be an issue. However, I wonder if the abrupt size change of cancelling could have been an issue, but if he really could cancel in the original, then it should not have been a major factor.
Last I've checked, in Smash 64, Mario could only interrupt his taunt when he starts to shrink back to normal size. Taunt cancelling would not work for Mario's old up taunt until he starts to shrink, and that definitely isn't good if everyone else's taunts can be interrupted as early as frame 20.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Last I've checked, in Smash 64, Mario could only interrupt his taunt when he starts to shrink back to normal size. Taunt cancelling would not work for Mario's old up taunt until he starts to shrink, and that definitely isn't good if everyone else's taunts can be interrupted as early as frame 20.
They could always change it to be interruptible earlier.

D

Deleted member

Taunt canceling I'm sure is in. Probably will be shown eventually, I would assume.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
As of right now, Mario's Thumbs Up taunt is the best taunt in the game. I LOVE it.

Top Bottom