• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's neutral game

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Basically just the title. I need some tips on Mario's neutral game.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
On top of my head, short hop bairs (well spaced), empty jumps into dash grab, full hop fireballs and the universal dash -> shield -> react to the opponent's action.

Adam Sanders

Smash Rookie
Back Air,Grab. Down Air,Up Air,Nair as mix ups but the safest part of his neutral is his back air so just work from there. Empty hops are good to fake an approach or to bait out an option from your opponent. You can use up tilt every now and then if you expect them to jump or use an Ariel, you can use that as an anti-air or to catch them as they jump. If they are strong at keeping you out the occasional jumping air dodge might help you out to get in on them.

Currienoodles

Smash Rookie
NNID
RocketsGamecornr
This was really helpful to me as well. My punish game is pretty sick with mario but my nuetral as always lacked. Hopefully more empty hops and spacing my bairs better will improvoe this.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
What i like to do sometimes is jump fire ball run behind it wait for the opponent to shield and then use the short but noticeable shield stun to grab him and start a combo (I used to did this with ryu in sf4 using slow hanoukens) But yeah that will probably only work once or twice per set.
mostly just learn to space rising bairs so that you hit at max range to stay safe, also autocancel them.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I've been using mario on and off for about a year now and still have trouble understanding his neutral, but I'll try to explain it as simply as I can.

Fireballs are to force approaches and get the opponent off the ground or in shield, they can also be used to approach by mixing up on shield. (Fireballing a shield, than landing with an aerial or empty landing for a grab/roll punish) but overall they're to be used sparingly in neutral. Don't let your opponent forget you have them, but they don't advance your gamestate much in most mus against chars with good grabs/oos options.

After that, you mainly mix up how you approach the opponent.

SH uair to catch their jumps and low priority or slow start-up aerials (helpful vs disjoints at certain ranges) You then mix up how you land, either with an aerial or empty land for a grab. Maybe a fade away fireball if the spacing seems right.

SH Bair to stuff their approaches, and pressure from a range. It's not very safe on shield usually so feint it mostly. Full-hopping it is more effective against certain characters, if you're wondering why bair isn't working try that.

SH Dair is your cross-up to punish sh spam, similar to uair but it's more lingering and covers rolls.

Nair is mainly a punish button in close quarters, primarily OoS. The lingering hitbox is very small and not too rewarding except at high percent otherwise it's punishable on hit. Use this if uair isn't working, it's likely simply because of raw frame data.

These tools are all used to punish the opponent for not sitting in shield for mario's superb grab game.

Fludd is used for positional pressure. Both receiving and giving. Use it to reset when you're cornered, or get better postioning after the opponent jumped or air dodged away from your combo. Just charge it when you can, remember it gets stronger with rage too so if you need to make a comeback you can try to make a read on their ledge get up.

Aside from reads and combos, mario should be leading the opponent offstage for edge/ledgeguards for damage and kills.

That's my take on him, anyway.

Last edited:

circuspig

Day Negative 92 Simon Main
I've been using mario on and off for about a year now and still have trouble understanding his neutral, but I'll try to explain it as simply as I can.

Fireballs are to force approaches and get the opponent off the ground or in shield, they can also be used to approach by mixing up on shield. (Fireballing a shield, than landing with an aerial or empty landing for a grab/roll punish) but overall they're to be used sparingly in neutral. Don't let your opponent forget you have them, but they don't advance your gamestate much in most mus against chars with good grabs/oos options.

After that, you mainly mix up how you approach the opponent.

SH uair to catch their jumps and low priority or slow start-up aerials (helpful vs disjoints at certain ranges) You then mix up how you land, either with an aerial or empty land for a grab. Maybe a fade away fireball if the spacing seems right.

SH Bair to stuff their approaches, and pressure from a range. It's not very safe on shield usually so feint it mostly. Full-hopping it is more effective against certain characters, if you're wondering why bair isn't working try that.

SH Dair is your cross-up to punish sh spam, similar to uair but it's more lingering and covers rolls.

Nair is mainly a punish button in close quarters, primarily OoS. The lingering hitbox is very small and not too rewarding except at high percent otherwise it's punishable on hit. Use this if uair isn't working, it's likely simply because of raw frame data.

These tools are all used to punish the opponent for not sitting in shield for mario's superb grab game.

Fludd is used for positional pressure. Both receiving and giving. Use it to reset when you're cornered, or get better postioning after the opponent jumped or air dodged away from your combo. Just charge it when you can, remember it gets stronger with rage too so if you need to make a comeback you can try to make a read on their ledge get up.

Aside from reads and combos, mario should be leading the opponent offstage for edge/ledgeguards for damage and kills.

That's my take on him, anyway.

Excellent write-up.

Wom

Smash Rookie
NNID
PollsMan
I would also add that short hop rising Dair is a very good tool in neutral as well, and can lead into the Ally combo at low %. Empty hopping a lot is good to. Mix in some tomahawks with your aerials and you'll be good.

Top Bottom