• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Forward Throw.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Easy form of jab lock always helps.

I think that F-Throw-->Jab Lock-->D-Smash puts your opponent at a good position to be gimped.

Matt07

Smash Master
Interesting. Somebody needs to test this on a human.
Yes, someone does.

I've been trying different a few characters, and ****ing Luigi, lol. He slides too far for this to any useful. Peach can also break out of this LOL. I'm going to make a list soon of which characters it affects the most.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Yup, most likely something that only works on certain characters.

If it works on mario's harder match-ups, this could really help.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
lawl f throw to jab lock? genious. yesz someone test it out. though probably the opponent can get out of it by airdodging after being hit
The only way he'll be able to get out of it is by teching. F-throw has enough hitstun that they can't air dodge in time.

In any case, I'm glad this is getting good reception. Good job, Matt.

Matt07

Smash Master
Thanks everyone for their replies so far.

Just wondering would FLUDD screw up on being able to tech the throw? And by the way if they tech the fthrow, you can still try again until certain %'s, like I don't think Bowser can escape till 50%.

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
i have so many reasons why this won't work.... but i really want this to work. if it does i can't wait to get back at all those that jab locked me *cough*IC*cough*

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Even if it isn't inescapable, that doesn't mean it can't be used. Jab -> Dsmash/Grab isn't a true combo, but is a viable strategy. Same deal here...especially since people will never be expecting it, and you have other tech chase options from Fthrow.

Great find Matt :chuckle:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The main thing I'm expecting here is this combined with the tech-chasing from D-throw. You can D-throw first, read air dodge, then F-throw for the jab lock.

Or you can F-throw, read a tech, then D-throw....

Mario's grab game is getting GOOD!? :D Impossible!

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
^Well, we already had D-Throw to start some "combos" and "B-Throw" as a decent killer.^

But this makes a great addition if it we use it effectively!

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm...this is really working out well :D. Grabs for top tier lol.

Me and Vato tested this out with Snake, and opponents can only tech the throw, they can't escape with an aerial, or special attack. :D.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Hey, test this out on DeDeDe. Be freaken hillarious if we can jab lock the hell outta him.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
well it doesnt work on cpus -_- i really wanted this to work... and if it doesnt on level 9s then i dont think itll work on a human (maybe the first time only cause they wont expect it?)

Matt07

Smash Master
Hmm what computer did you try Dory? I swear it works against Snake, it works at 9%. It SHOULD work, and yes it does work on Chaingrab too, ****ing fat *** deserves it :laugh:.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
i did it on random so i got DK, kirby, and uhhhh i think MK but when i fthrew them the instantly air dodged and landed on their feet. and yea i know it works on lower percents to them on training but not in a game... wierd lol

hahaha i would love to see that in tourney xD

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Some testing against humans could be cool. If I have time I'll try tommorrow or something...well, actually it is tommorrow... whatever.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yes, some human testing would be nice. Hopefully this is only tech-able, and they can't air dodge after the second one. That would freaking suck, if they could break out.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
yeah if it is only tech able then it still might hope. cause teching isnt THAT common in brawl haha

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Techable and most likely DIable, but cool. Don't rely on this though.

bobson

Smash Lord
I tested this on Bowser, DK, Snake, King Dedede, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, and Squirtle (five heaviest and three lightest, respectively). All of them can jump or use an aerial to escape being forced to tech without any DI. The only way that the tech is unavoidable is if they DI downwards into the floor at specifically 9 or 10%... and even then, it only works on heavier characters. The CPUs will never avoid it because they're stupid. And this is in training mode; in a real match, the fthrow will stale if you use it more than once, and even the CPUs will be able to avoid it.

Don't count on this being useful.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Even though it's not reliable for jab locking, it's still good for tech chasing.

Keep using Forward Throw, peeps.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Well to make you guys feel a little better, you can CG all metal box characters with Mario's Dthrow.

Top Bottom