• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario's Custom Moves

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Discuss Mario's custom moves.

Standard
Fast Fireball: Shoots more quickly, but the fire is smaller, only travels horizontally, and deals even less knockback.
Fire Orb: It is larger, moves more slowly, and hits opponents multiple times.
Side
Shocking Cape: Has an electric effect.
Gust Cape: Blows opponent away after swinging.
Up
Super Jump: Does less damage, but has more recovery distance.
Explosive Punch: Deals fire damage and explosive damage.
Down
Scalding F.L.U.D.D.: Rapidly deals fire damage and keep enemies held in place.
High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D: Larger, stronger water is fired.

Last edited:

Blakebtb23

Smash Apprentice
Some options for cape:
-Normal cape
-Much bigger, but with more start up and end lag.
-Same size, with more start lag/end lag, but damage multiplier for projectiles is increased.
-Small cape, but fast with little lag so it is spammable

Up B:
-Standard Up B jump
-Has luigi-like knockback, but is much worse for recovery
-Higher jump, but less damage and not walljumpable
-Shorter jump, but walljumpable

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm pretty happy that Mario can have a legit Shoryuken. I'm interested in using the slower, stronger Fireballs my self. It'll be interesting to see what we can do with FLUDD.

Jackson

Smash Lord
There's a lot of fun possibilities with this, but I think it's safe to assume custom moves will be turned off in tournaments.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
A cool Custom Move would be as a <-->B, if he did the Cape-Twirl (the little Spin) from SMW while moving Left or Right, depending on the direction inputed with the B. It could deflect projectiles, move fast & hit multiple times, but not be strong or give much knockback at all.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Just thought I would bump this thread since Mario's custom moves were confirmed by this at ~2:15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsmjbifWUk

• Neutral Special can become faster or slower, decreasing and increasing it's power respectively as we saw in the Direct in April

• Side Special looks like it can gain either knockback or electric properties

• Up Special looks like it can gain a fire property or get increased height (probably) at the cost of damage and knockback

• Down Special looks like it can gain more knockback or damage (YES!!)

Are you guys happy about any change in particular? Do you think I'm wrong about anything?

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Fast Fireball
Shocking Cape
Super Jump
Scalding F.L.U.D.D.
Doctor Mario moveset, right there.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Just thought I would bump this thread since Mario's custom moves were confirmed by this at ~2:15: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDsmjbifWUk

• Neutral Special can become faster or slower, decreasing and increasing it's power respectively as we saw in the Direct in April

• Up Special looks like it can gain a fire property or get increased height (probably) at the cost of damage and knockback

Are you guys happy about any change in particular? Do you think I'm wrong about anything?
I was just going to post this! Good catch.

I'm most excited to see the different capes in action, and the Scalding FLUDD. FLUDD with damage sounds great! The other ones look good, too.

Last edited:

FlagshipsOnFire

Smash Rookie
Hopefully, they'll have a way to replace FLUDD with the Mario Tornado. Making FLUDD Mario's Down-B was the worst thing they ever did to him.

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
Hopefully, they'll have a way to replace FLUDD with the Mario Tornado. Making FLUDD Mario's Down-B was the worst thing they ever did to him.
His 3 Down-B options are F.L.U.D.D, Scalding F.L.U.D.D, and High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.
Mario Tornado is his Down-Air just like in Brawl.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

I'm pretty happy with the Shoryuken and the Scalding FLUDD.

monkeyboyinc

Smash Rookie
Care to go into more detail? At the moment, these are rather bare-bones descriptors. Do the fireball variants do more/less damage? What reason do we ever have to use normal FLUDD over High-Pressure FLUDD? Can Shocking Cape still turn opponents around? What is the wind effect and how does it function?

More information would really be useful if you want to kickstart a discussion.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
Care to go into more detail? At the moment, these are rather bare-bones descriptors. Do the fireball variants do more/less damage? What reason do we ever have to use normal FLUDD over High-Pressure FLUDD? Can Shocking Cape still turn opponents around? What is the wind effect and how does it function?

More information would really be useful if you want to kickstart a discussion.
I took stuff from SmashWiki, and I rewrote it. I'll go into more detail once I get the game (or someone posts here and says stuff).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've heard people complaining about standard Fireball having a slower fire rate, and it definitely drops quicker.

Regardless, here's what I think of his Fireball customs:

- Fast: It will function much like Fox's Blaster, except maybe at a middle range only. They still do enough hitstun
to interrupt attacks, which can frustrate attempts to zone and force people to move closer, since running away will
only result in more fireballs. Complements his close range combo game nicely.

- Fire Orb: Now here's a very interesting custom. On on hand, if it connects on a grounded opponent it pretty much
acts like a PK Fire and get lead into easy grabs or combos. The slow, long duration of the move punishes
reckless offense nicely. Plus, if it ignores gravity like I think it does, it can be used as an aerial trap.
It's only real downside is that it does next to nothing to break projectile camping.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Regardless, here's what I think of his Fireball customs:

- Fast: It will function much like Fox's Blaster, except maybe at a middle range only. They still do enough hitstun
to interrupt attacks, which can frustrate attempts to zone and force people to move closer, since running away will
only result in more fireballs. Complements his close range combo game nicely.

- Fire Orb: Now here's a very interesting custom. On on hand, if it connects on a grounded opponent it pretty much
acts like a PK Fire and get lead into easy grabs or combos. The slow, long duration of the move punishes
reckless offense nicely. Plus, if it ignores gravity like I think it does, it can be used as an aerial trap.
It's only real downside is that it does next to nothing to break projectile camping.
The Fire Orb probably works better in matchups where you need to approach, which would be against other zoning characters. Keeping in mind that Mario already has decent anti-projectile options via Cape. Fire Orb seems to have utility for midrange lockdown, which would help you break through defensive characters more easily.

I would assume that would overall make it the more useful custom move, in terms of how it affects matchups. Though I could see the Fast Fireball being decent against Robin, to prevent him from getting optimal use of his setup special move shenanigans.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The Fire Orb probably works better in matchups where you need to approach, which would be against other zoning characters. Keeping in mind that Mario already has decent anti-projectile options via Cape. Fire Orb seems to have utility for midrange lockdown, which would help you break through defensive characters more easily.

I would assume that would overall make it the more useful custom move, in terms of how it affects matchups. Though I could see the Fast Fireball being decent against Robin, to prevent him from getting optimal use of his setup special move shenanigans.
...I don't see how the Fire Orb helps approaches against zoning characters. It's range is too short to threaten keepaway
tactics.

I think the regular fireball is the best if Mario wants to press the attack, since he can chase it well.
And fast fireball if he wants them to come to him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You ain't beating Duck Hunt or TL in a spam war, so you shouldn't even bother trying to. That's the reason why Fire Orb is the best option in those matchups. Your goal is to outmaneuver them, then pick options to punish them in midrange.

Last edited:

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
You can't cape to aid recovery like in the previous 2 games, so Super Jump is a welcome addition, though at the same time, will explosive jump make up+B an EVEN BETTER combo finisher by securing low% KOs?

High-pressure FLUDD does seem better than the normal FLUDD just by looking at the description, but what I'd like to know if it can push Mario fast enough to be a horizontal recovery move? Can close-range Scalding FLUDD combo to a Smash?

BSP

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhVvnIeuXbo

All of Mario's custom moves.

The slow fireball...is really slow. I thought the video was slowed down for second, tbh.

I'll probably be sticking with gust cape, but FLUDD and the fireball will change depending on the MU. If I'm fighting someone whose recovery isn't really affected by FLUDD, I'll use the scalding for free damage I guess. Fireball, I'll have to see.

Oh, up B. I'll probably go explosive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom