• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs. Dr. Mario

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
Dr. Mario was clearly boss over Mario in Melee, but what about Sm4sh?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I prefer Mario personally, because of his better agility/running speed/etc. I do wish he had the same Down Special as Dr. Mario, though.

KH1COM2

Smash Boss
I prefer Mario personally, because of his better agility/running speed/etc. I do wish he had the same Down Special as Dr. Mario, though.
I did too, at first, but I learned that F.L.U.D.D. is the perfect spacing and gimping tool. At first, I thought he was a close up character, because he's always been one in previous titles.

But I think in Sm4sh, he's actually a spacing character. Cuz i've pulled off a lot of interesting Fludd combos and I've gimped so many Little macs with it lol.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I did too, at first, but I learned that F.L.U.D.D. is the perfect spacing and gimping tool. At first, I thought he was a close up character, because he's always been one in previous titles.

But I think in Sm4sh, he's actually a spacing character. Cuz i've pulled off a lot of interesting Fludd combos and I've gimped so many Little macs with it lol.
Hmm, interesting. I might have to try that out sometime!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Random question for ya: What website did you use to make that Mii? I can't find a decent one to use, and I'd like a Mii as an Avatar
I just made it on my 3DS/Wii U (one of those) and saved the head to an image or something along those lines. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact process. I think it was saved to the SD card, however.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
Dr. Mario plays better OOS than Mario does with a shorter short hop, a better Dair, and a cape with a larger vertical hitbox and different physics. Mario has more consistent combos on the entire cast and a much faster run than Dr. Mario. I think Mario might be better against certain characters due to his great Uair and Dthrow, but I think Dr. Mario may be more consistent overall than Mario.

Mathwall

Smash Rookie
I actually consider Dr.Mario because for myself, I prefer power over speed which makes me choose Dr.Mario.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Even though I prefer Dr. Mario, I know that it's all about getting damage rather that hitting hard. A move that does 1 damage but can realistically hit an opponent 25 times, is better than a move that can do 25 damage but almost never connects, or at least in my opinion. It's mainly the reason why Ryu is better than Ken in Super Street Fighter IV: AE 2012. Who cares if some moves do slightly less damage if you can actually get them to connect?

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
:4mario: vs :4drmario: is a never ending story in Smash 4. It's normal, the metagame is still young, but there's still an upper hand in terms of usage for the Red Plumber than the Doctor.

If we put them, face to face, there's no real winner : Mario is more mobile, has the Fludd for gimping Doc, a better recovery, but Doc has big K.O abilities, the tornado for recovery and punishing rolls, and the pills that can be annoying for Mario. The only winner is the player of course, but you'll see more times Mario winning than Doc, either by being gimped by the Fludd or spiked by a Fair. But Doc could also win easily by doing good spacing with the pills, KOing with his Fsmash and can punish Mario really hard if he panics or do a big mistake.

So yeah, :4mario: vs :4drmario: is pretty much a 50/50 in my opinion. But overall, Mario has more chances to be near top tier than Doc. He has more tools, more mobility and can keep up against character like :4sheik: or even :4diddy:. Doc has a hard time against a lot of top tiers, thus making him lower than Mario.

So in short : you want to play a balanced and solid character ? Take :4mario:. You want a good character that has big K.O abilities but still mobile in some way ? Take :4drmario:. It's simple as that and it has been like this since the beginning of Smash 4.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
From my personal experience with both of these characters, I strongly believe Mario is the better character in this installment. Dr. Mario's speed, recovery, and combo ability is considerably outmatched by Mario's own abilities. Now I know Doc has unique attributes in his favor such as stronger KO options and slightly more damage and knockback in his other moves, but his lackluster recovery and noticeably slower speed could potentially keep him from being better than Mario in the long run. Though we will see where this goes when the metagame of both of these characters advance far enough to make acceptable conclusions.

Top Bottom