• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Uair Cancel of some sort

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
Hey guys. IrisZ here. I never go on Smashboards but I require the assistance of the Mario Gods
Feel free to do whatever to this thread if I've done something wrong. Just let me know

Anyway, my brother (Mario player) somehow made this happen during a friendly. Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance:

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
How could he have landed though? He couldn't have fast-falled during his u-air at that point from what I know

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
He fastfell when he ledge-dropped, and his U-air came out at the apex of his jump, causing him to start falling. Since his Mario's body was already touching the stage, it registered as him landing.

If you play it at 0.25 speed on youtube you can see it clearly. In fact it wasn't even an auto-cancel now that I look at it. If you continued D-tilting you would've hit him.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Actually Hero, you're incorrect. This is something else. I've had this happen literally once. I'm so glad you got video of it though! I've been trying to emulate it for a while because if we can pull this off it will be an incredible option for getting back onstage.

I'll mess around with this and see if I can't come up with something.

Last edited:

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
He fastfell when he ledge-dropped, and his U-air came out at the apex of his jump, causing him to start falling. Since his Mario's body was already touching the stage, it registered as him landing.

If you play it at 0.25 speed on youtube you can see it clearly. In fact it wasn't even an auto-cancel now that I look at it. If you continued D-tilting you would've hit him.
Erm, I don't quite think that he u-aired at the apex of his jump. Even my brother who was playing Mario was dumbfounded by this
It sort of looks like he actually cut off part of his jump to do this. From what I know, there's no known way to do this

However, you may be on to something regardless so my brother and I will just lab it out lol

Actually Hero, you're incorrect. This is something else. I've had this happen literally once. I'm so glad you got video of it though! I've been trying to emulate it for a while because if we can pull this off it will be an incredible option for getting back onstage.

I'll mess around with this and see if I can't come up with something.
YES, someone else who's experienced something like this. I haven't seen anything like this on the internet anywhere lol

Unfortunately Mario's uair didn't connect, so I have no idea if it was just autocancelled with no hit box or if any hitbox actually came out
My guess says that there's no hitbox though :c

Hopefully we can find out something though

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
YES, someone else who's experienced something like this. I haven't seen anything like this on the internet anywhere lol

Unfortunately Mario's uair didn't connect, so I have no idea if it was just autocancelled with no hit box or if any hitbox actually came out
My guess says that there's no hitbox though :c

Hopefully we can find out something though
When it happened to me it hit a shield. So it does have a hitbox.

Last edited:

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
When it happened to me it hit a shield. So it does have a hitbox.
Hmmm. My brother's been labbing it out to no avail

Feel free to use the video in some tech thread. That Melee tech /aerial interrupt seems like the most likely thing that happened, but time can only tell I guess

Hopefully I can find something on it soon. If you want me to slow down the original at all, let me know too

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
To me it looks like that lagless ledge getup that has surfaced recently only using a uair during it.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Could this be something similar to platform cancelling in Brawl?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Mega revival but I was thinking about this recently after some friends brought some stuff to my attention. Going to try to lab it hard, it is definitely related to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBLDQlPkQk&feature=youtu.be (I've seen people start doing this consistently so it's time for me to start trying)

If anybody else wants to help me lab that'd be hype. The up air is definitely key, I'm pretty sure it moves mario's position so he collides with the ledge in such a weird way that it cancels the move/lag. Once I get some results I'll make a followup post. :)

sgib64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sgib64
I can confirm that mario uair modifies his hurtboxes in a weird way. For example im able to go through extremely narrow holes (like a pixel large or not even visible, like when two slopes cross over) when uairing with some weird timing

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Mega revival but I was thinking about this recently after some friends brought some stuff to my attention. Going to try to lab it hard, it is definitely related to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBLDQlPkQk&feature=youtu.be (I've seen people start doing this consistently so it's time for me to start trying)

If anybody else wants to help me lab that'd be hype. The up air is definitely key, I'm pretty sure it moves mario's position so he collides with the ledge in such a weird way that it cancels the move/lag. Once I get some results I'll make a followup post. :)
I'm a labbing master, you have my axe!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
This is totally cool. Likely does have something to do with the lagless ledge getup, except instead of landing on stage with his double jump, mario lands on it with his upair.

I'll be tryin it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom