• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Stage Discussion Thread

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I took this idea from the Samus boards.

The purpose of this is to discuss how Mario performs on the various legal stages, stating the pros and cons and which characters you should and shouldn't take to a particular stage.

May the discussions begin.

EDIT: probably it will be better off having a free discussion instead of one stage at a time.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I think Final Destination, Smashville, and Omega stages are Mario's best stages in my opinions.
:rosalina:: Against these Rosalina, I've avoid Delfino Plaza and Halberd because of low ceiling and she can get early kills with up-airs, and juggle me with platforms arounds. Same with Battlefield and Dreamland, but alittle because with platforms, they can help her more than Mario. I stick with Smallville, FD, and Omega stages to limit her juggles and early kills.
:4zss:: Same as Rosalina, but if you go to Lylat Cruise and Duck Hunt stage, then it will limit her options and you can live longer.
:4marth::4feroy::4myfriends::4lucina::4pit::4darkpit::4link:: I avoid Battlefield and Dreamland because of their range and they can use it to juggle and pressure you when you're on platforms.
:4littlemac:: Any stage with platforms are good for you and bad for him because his crappy air game and jump height can be used against him.
:4sonic:: Battlefield and Dreamland because they help you alittle more and he'll have less space to run around.
:4sheik:: Battlefield and Dreamland seems ok so she don't camp you with needles.
:4kirby::4metaknight:: Up throws can help them get maybe early kills 140% at least(along with rage) on platforms, nothing more.
:4palutena:: Battlefield and Dreamland, she can use her SH n-airs for pressure on platforms and her up-air for alittle more air pressure. Autoreticle for pressure and zoning when you're on top of platforms with Mario. If you're facing her with Lightweight on Delfino Plaza, Halberb, Battlefield, and Dreamland, she can use Lightweight over at anytime when she's on platforms and can get early kills out of her up-airs because of low ceiling.

I don't have anything so that's pretty much it.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I'd say Battlefield is not too bad as well. Plaforms allow Mario to extend his combos/strings and give him more options to land.
Characters that I wouldn't take to Battlefield:
:4falcon: can perform setups into knee like crazy and has those d-air spikes on the thin ledges;
:4myfriends: up smash punishes platform landings hard, plus the copter u-air;
:4pit: / :4darkpit:, up smash reaches to the plaforms and aerials benefit from them too;
:4charizard: up throw kills off the top plaform early
:4ganondorf: up smash tech chases on the plaforms and shenanigans with u-air;
:4palutena: due to up smash and (in a custom environment) leightweight shenanigans;
:rosalina: u-air off the top plaform is scary.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I'd say Battlefield is not too bad as well. Plaforms allow Mario to extend his combos/strings and give him more options to land.
Characters that I wouldn't take to Battlefield:
:4falcon: can perform setups into knee like crazy and has those d-air spikes on the thin ledges;
:4myfriends: up smash punishes platform landings hard, plus the copter u-air;
:4palutena: due to up smash and (in a custom environment) leightweight shenanigans;
:rosalina: u-air off the top plaform is scary.
You're right about Battlefield being his good stage.
:4myfriends:: Don't forget that his SH n-air, forward-air and up-tile can be used for juggles and pressure.
:rosalina:: Up-tile, SH n-air, and up smash as options for juggles and pressure when Mario is on platforms.
:4palutena:: SH n-air and SH f-air for juggles and pressure when Mario is on platforms.
:4rob:: Rob can also get up-throw kills off the top platform.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Town and City is an extremely good stage for Mario and is good for him in almost every matchup. Not only does the lower ceiling help u smash and upb combos kill earlier, but the platforms set up those UpB kill confirms really well.

If you're fighting a character without many great vertical kill moves or you aren't scared, Halberd can be a great stage in many matchups. UpB kills really well on this stage.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Town and City is an extremely good stage for Mario and is good for him in almost every matchup. Not only does the lower ceiling help u smash and upb combos kill earlier, but the platforms set up those UpB kill confirms really well.

If you're fighting a character without many great vertical kill moves or you aren't scared, Halberd can be a great stage in many matchups. UpB kills really well on this stage.
I would be a bit scared taking Rosalina to T&C. With low ceiling she can get those u-air kills very early. But in general I agree, Town and City is a great stage for the plumber.
Another stage I tend to use as a counterpick is Lylat. I don't know how you fellow Mario players feel about it, but it tends to work for me.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I like to go on Smashville and FD. Smashville is great because you can hop on the moving platform and try to throw fireballs down at them while it is moving. This is all imo though.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I love battlefield personally. Everyone in Michigan just about always bans it and dreamland vs me though, knowing how I love those stages lol.

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Dreamland and T A C are probably Mario's best stages. He kills off the top super early and can use the platforms to extend his combos. With Battlefield, you don't get easier kills and because of Mario's lack of recovery options, the large blastzones don't favor him to much. Not a bad stage, but it benefits some characters more than him. Smashville is also pretty good for Mario due to lower blastzones and the platform. Halberd I'd say is nuetral like battlefield. FD is a disadvantage for Mario mainly due to him not having near as many combos and having a hard time landing. Blastzones don't help either. Mario is also not very good at camping so he is easily forced to approached on this too. Lylat, is just, absolute trash. You have a large ceiling and the tilting limits Mario's options as he has one of the best short hop air dodges in the game, and his back air options can become worse. His recovery is also worse, he struggles to land, and the platforms do not extend his combos very much since they are so low to the stage. I almost forgot Duck Hunt. This is pretty much FD but with the platforms helping Mario a bit.

If you get counterpicked to one of Mario's worse stages, consider switching to Doc. Doc has a better time on these stages because he doesn't rely on platforms as much and can camp much better than Mario as well as have a much easier time killing than Mario here. The high ceilings also benefit Doc in the respect he usually kills of the side.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Lylat, is just, absolute trash. You have a large ceiling and the tilting limits Mario's options as he has one of the best short hop air dodges in the game, and his back air options can become worse. His recovery is also worse, he struggles to land, and the platforms do not extend his combos very much since they are so low to the stage.
I tend to choose Lylat to counterpick certain characters but I agree that Mario does way better on other stages.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Dreamland and T A C are probably Mario's best stages. He kills off the top super early and can use the platforms to extend his combos. With Battlefield, you don't get easier kills and because of Mario's lack of recovery options, the large blastzones don't favor him to much. Not a bad stage, but it benefits some characters more than him. Smashville is also pretty good for Mario due to lower blastzones and the platform. Halberd I'd say is nuetral like battlefield. FD is a disadvantage for Mario mainly due to him not having near as many combos and having a hard time landing. Blastzones don't help either. Mario is also not very good at camping so he is easily forced to approached on this too. Lylat, is just, absolute trash. You have a large ceiling and the tilting limits Mario's options as he has one of the best short hop air dodges in the game, and his back air options can become worse. His recovery is also worse, he struggles to land, and the platforms do not extend his combos very much since they are so low to the stage. I almost forgot Duck Hunt. This is pretty much FD but with the platforms helping Mario a bit.

If you get counterpicked to one of Mario's worse stages, consider switching to Doc. Doc has a better time on these stages because he doesn't rely on platforms as much and can camp much better than Mario as well as have a much easier time killing than Mario here. The high ceilings also benefit Doc in the respect he usually kills of the side.
According to http://smashboards.com/threads/wii-u-stage-blast-zone-data.395357/, Lylat's vertical blastzone is on the lower or middle spectrum of the stages. I do agree about Lylat not being that great of a stage for Mario, but not because of its ceiling. Tbh no stage is really awful for Mario, even Lylat or FD. I know Marios like Ally and Zenyou take their opponents to FD sometime to set up for better juggles because of the lack of platforms. You have objectively better stages, but your counterpick is almost based on your personal preference and playstyle.

Not going to comment on the Doctor Mario advice.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Battlefield is really situation for Mario, he has great locking moves, so his true combos off the platform are very easy, juggling with his moves are easier imo in battlefield on those platforms. but omega stages are one of his strong points, being a that flat stage really help with basically all of his attacking moves, town and city when combined with his throws is a really good stage for mario (i mean watch his match with Mr. R i believe it was, back throw off the side) you can toss them off the side to kill them early.

Zanarkan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zanarkan28
I think Mario heavily benefits from platforms so Battlefield/Dreamland/Miiverse are his best stages in my opinion. Smashville and FD are decent options he doesn't really dominate on those stages but he doesn't get dominated on them either. Delfino and Halbard are also good the low ceilings are good for up air strings into up-B. Laylat and Castle siege are meh.

Last edited:

OGPiP

Smash Rookie
NNID
OG_PiP
I cp to Lylat a lot, benefits him in a lot of match ups and it gives him platforms to combo off of. He can still kill off the top relatively early if he gets the right chain off, but it can be a little hard to kill with up smash. I think it's a great cp in certain match-ups like Rosa and Sonic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom