• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Q/A...the "real deal"

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
Hello again...here's your perfect opportunity to ask me any questions about mario. I'm not saying im the best with mario by any means....but i'm pretty sure i know my stuff (probably more than you)

So by any means, ask away! Any questions pertaining to mario or certain matchups, certain CG's, best stages for mario, or any questions about me will all be gladly answered as i will check this thread.

I created this thread to try to something back to the mario players, and i feel that most threads are filled with illogical knuckleheads or douchelords.

so anyway...you can ask me anything about mario...go ahead

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
FALCON VS MARIO

this match can vary according to the stage...good stages for this are probably also good for captain falcon like final destination, fountain of dreams, yoshi's, poke stadium...etc

i personallly like FD, as it is my favorite level...this gives you plenty of air room to do uair combos...chain grab....or even headbutt to headbutt

Basically in the match...the falcon will try to be fast and stay far away...looking for a good oppotunity with nair or stomp or grab (for the most part). While they are "deciding whats best" u can decide to throw fireballs :). When doing this be very careful...cuz he is very fast. If you dont like to stay away and throw fireballs, its a good idea to be aggressive. Staying close to him doesnt let him dash dance or moonwalk or fancy fast stuff (the simple jab jab jab AAA combo works nice). IMO u can start chaingrabbing him at around 30% or so...remember around 70% is when u would like to start upairs. uptilt is obviously a game winner because falcon's a fast faller...lower percents upsmash higher percents uptilt and upair.

When i say be aggressive, i mean stay close to him...what i like to do is plenty of dairs to uair to jab to dair uair jab etc until u find a opening to grab (or upsmash at lower%) I wouldnt use fair too much...little slow and falcon has a faster moves that will hit in front of him, nair is a little better...much faster move

A falcon that di's well...the most important part of the game becomes edgeguarding...ONLY USE CAPE WHEN YOU KNOW HES GOING TO THE LEDGE he will try to mindgame you etc...dont fall for it...if he lands on stage...blast his *** (fsmash) When he is below you...use common sense and just edgeguard on the ledge...some falcons do that backwards triple jump stuff

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
what about mario vs. peach

lots of f-airs and sheild grabbing seems to happen to me beisdes plenty of crouch canceling

any tips there would b great
ty in advance

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
Eggz - ehh shes pretty gay...and then they complain when mario cg's her....shes pretty lame

coin chaser- MARIO VS PEACH!!
this fight can be pretty tough...biggest thing to remember...grabs at low percents get the job done. Before you begin the match...remember jab grab...this is one of the matchups where it really comes in handy, the jab becomes the buffer for the spot dodge and then you grab.
peach is a tough fight no doubt, her dsmash is wicked gay, fair is wicked gay, and u cant kill her (wicked gay). if ur fighting one, BAN DREAMLAND, no point in playing her there, its tough to kill her on any level, and dreamland is worse.

shes also going to want to go to mute city, which isnt as bad as dl64. I personally always like final d, u can still do upair combos around 35-40% (end em with nair). I also like corneria, its pretty short level and peach doesnt up kill you, its also a long level which helps u survive...although ull be fighting most of the game on the right side (dont forget about upb to the fin...very nice)

you'll generally have two kinds of peaches that you will see...turnips and no turnips. Ones that throw turnips straight at you are just kinda newbs, cape em. It gets tricky against people like mike g that basically mind **** your cape. Against mike g i dont even use cape. If you feel the player is taking advantage of you and throws the turnips down or to the other side, just stop using cape altogether..they just basically want u to use cape to hit you.

For the most part..your going to want to stay in the air a lot. Lots of dairs to bair and dair to uair at lower percents. A huge punisher move is the fair in this match. When u see she is tring to dsmash...punish that dumb ****. If you've seen brownmario vs mikael matches, brownmario utilizes the fair pretty nicely...i felt he lost those matches because
1) mikael is a great player
2) i thought he wasnt aggressive enough.

When on the ground, utilt still works even though she is floaty, just do it at lower percents, and remember, this is one of the matchup where upsmash really comes in handy (jiggs peach). Edgeguarding her is tough...so a headbutt around 100-110% (depends on stage) takes her out. Generally if they float a little too low, its perfect reach for upsmash. (remember u still have fsmash :))

AND BTW most matchups the jab jab jab (AAA) combo is very nice because its fast......w/e you do dont do that against peach...itll get eaten up by crouch canceling and ull just get dsmashed.

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
BUTTCRUST- that is an extremely general question, i dont think i have a "most common approach tactic". If you see my recent videos, i approach a lot with full jump dair, because it has a lot of options you can do after it, but if you always do that your opponent will catch on. With mario, try to be different. Approach with some jabs, a grab, or shffl'd uair to dsmash. Also, it greatly depends on the character. If you approach marth with a full jump dair or a a shffl'd fair, hes going to just smack you.

TECHOMANCER- No, I dont normally fireball camp. The only times i "stay and shoot fireballs" are on pokemon stadium, when the stage changes and im on one side, or im winning on corneria and im under the fin. I dont like to camp, and im an aggressive player. I feel mario is a fast character, if you feel the need to camp, you should probably play doc, who IMO is a slower character. If you see japanese docs, they seem to camp more with pills, which are probably more effective at camping anyway. I find staying and shooting fireballs pretty situational.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Hmm... so would fighting a Ganondorf be much different than vs. Falcon, other than the speed factor? What would be effective against Ganondorf that probably wouldn't be against Falcon?

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
Galeon- If defensive you mean they down dodge a lot, nair (with no fast fall), which will hit them. If defensive you mean they stay away and spam missiles, u can camp back with fireballs or cape them. If defensive you mean they hang out by the edge, ground dodge their downsmash....the point is....tell me what makes them defensive, or just fighting a samus in general, or else i cant help you much.

FIREBOMB- YES YES fighting ganon is much much different than fighting falcon. Weight and speed become huge differences in fighting characters as well as range, thus falcon is far different than ganon. Let's start off with weight.

With ganon, you can actually cg him with downthrows (if you remember u have to upthrow falcon). Also, at around 70-90ish% you can down throw to fsmash, just remember to be quick about it. On ganon you can uptilt around 30-50% (falcon around 40-70%) and you will find the upair combos much different starting at lower percents. So basically imo, his weight makes him easier to combo. He also has a slower recovery which makes it easier to edgeguard.

In the speed category, u can actually stay back (and at times you will have to because of his range) and throw fireballs. It really helps when u are under a platform and throw some fireballs. Ganon has a much slower running speed and has slower aerials, so you know whats coming. This also makes an approach with dair much nicer.

These two attributes seem to make it easier to fight ganon. Unfortunately his range is deadly. He can literally corner you with big aerials (big hitboxes) and shut you down. I used to think this was a very tough and difficult fight, as i used to get 4-stocked by tipman sometimes. You have to realize the fact that the fight is a lot like marth; he's easy to combo, although he has lots of range. You just have to stick it out, play more defensively, and look for openings.

all and all, falcon aggressive, ganon more defensive.

Ophelius

Smash Ace
You know the little sprinkles you had on your ice
I don't see why people seem to have such a problem vs a sheik, if you can get a Falcon down, Sheik should be a breeze, right? Or is it the needle-grab-fair they're so afraid of?

Ganon can be fought offensively too. He's so slow and heavy, u-tilts and smashes would work perfectly. All you need to worry about is getting past the danger zone, and, considering the speed issue, one slip is all you need. (Personally, I don't camp with fireballs, I use them to get closer and add some damage.)

Getting that slip is usually not that challenging, and another plus- no instant tipper-kills. Fireballs will stall him, maybe even enough to get in an uair, leading to one of those massive combos you want so badly.

Another troublesome matchup for me would be with a Fox. I didn't have a problem with him with my Sheik, but my style's totally changed.

Galeon

Smash Ace
A Samus that likes to crouch and counterattack, spaces you, basically waits for you to mess up or approach so they can hit you.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
ophelius: this is the GREEN MARIO Q AND A TOPICS

not the, Ophelius learn how to become a crappy player even faster than thought possible.

you listen to the wisdom of green motherfcking mario. He knows too much.

I personally think its folly to just be giving out priceless information like this, it floods the market, bad for the economy, but I've learned not to question green's wisdom.

and remember:

Green Mario is like Spiderman, he got bit by a radioactive mario.

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
ophelius- yea man....gotta give me some respect, although you might feel different about ganon, this isnt the place.
AND BTW fighting offensively against ganon is an option...but i dont reccomend it, that might work on a mediocre or novice ganon....ive played tipman for hours upon hours, and it doesnt work.

Im a little tired, ill do the fox/falco stuff probably tomorrow, along with samus it seems.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
i never thought of punishing d-smash with f-air . . . i usually try and space it to f-smash which is really hard bc d-smash has a lot of range

thanx for the advice...

edit: as i watch that video u told me about with brown mario......dash attack kills!!! and im always caught in the ai4...any advice for that other than dont get caught in the air when she dash attacks?

Turd Merchant

Smash Rookie
Green Mario seems to know a great deal about Mario. Unlike this faggit I know named Kyle. Man, what a tool, amirite? Anyway, here's my question:

Wouldn't it just be easier to jump on your foes to destroy them? Discuss.

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
sorry its been a while i know....

turd merchant- lol @ tim u can only jump on goombas..AND ****

coin chaser- if u get stuck getting dash attacked while ur short hopping, double jump and fair (brownmario)...try to anticipate if ur opponent/*** does it a lot, and turn it into a free shield grab..short hop and come back down to the ground and block? idk, if ur getting "owned" by it he must do it a lot and it shouldnt be too hard to see it coming.

galeon- although samus is a very good match for mario, it sounds like the samus is just "outplaying you". If he's crouching, just use fair and he can't really counterattack; after the fair, grab or dsmash. If he's spacing you out (or she), u just need more control over the match. If you feel she wavedashes back and hit you, dont be predictable, because thats what hes taking advantage of. If you sense a wavedash back coming, purposefully attack behind them or wait for them to attack you. There is no reason that you always need to go to samus if you feel you are losing because you are being "outspaced". Your fireballs are effective at stopping his missiles as well as the cape. Also, most of the time samus uses her missiles to open up a chance on hitting you. They do this by letting you use your cape and using the cape lag to punish you. Simply use your cape more conservatively or when they are farther away.

supersmashkiko- I'm not gonna ask about the name...but anyway...you asked a super huge ****ing question.

MARIO VS FOX/FALCO
Instead of talking breaking down both matches, ill choose to talk about what you can and should do offensively, with the right precautions.

Remember against both space animals you can certainly cg. From about 10-80%, a grab is "super effective". While ur cging, be aware that ur foe might try to shine out of it. Simply glance at their controller or there character (you'll know what im talking about). Around 50ish%, they can effectively shine when they di straight up. If you see this, you can either get hit....not reccommended...or uptilt and grab again (or other attacks). Remember, its a safe bet to hit them and then throw them up, adds up damage much quicker than upthrow upthrow etc. If on final d, you see them di'ing off the stage, and you know you wont be able to grab them again, an instant kill is fsmash. They are di'ing off the stage, so they will go flying, and no matter how far they di off the stage, fsmash will always reach, just anticipate it. Don't forget, when you grab them at too high percent to cg, you have a few options. If near the side of the level, u can throw them off the level. Around 100 or so, u can up throw and nair them. If they are very high percent, around 130-150 or w/e, u can down throw to dsmash, and sometimes fsmash, depending where they di.
One last thing with grabs, if you find yourself at the edge and you grab them at low percent (unable to cg...such as 0%) you can throw them off the stage, backthrow generally. WARNING THESE NEXT ACTIONS TAKE MUCH PRACTICE, ITS TOUGH GET OVER IT. At this point, there is no set rules you can do to perfectly edgeguard the space animal because its impossible to predict what they are going to do next UNLESS YOU KNOW YOUR OPPONENT. An example is when they are backthrown, they might try to forward b to the ledge (the illusion move). Instead of standing there acting stupid, just wavedash back for the edgeguard and kill. If you see they illusion too high, prepare and punish them on the stage (careful for the forwardb shortened cancel thing).
A lot of the time, at this point, i will try to bair edgeguard them. It doesnt work all the time, but it can kill ur opponent at very low %. Some people feel comfortable caping at the edge, just do what you find to work most often or try to read what ur opponent does most often, use common sense and find the right edgeguard for the situation.

BTW if your grabbing by just running up to your opponent and hitting z, a much faster and more effective grab for mario is the jump cancel grab (instead of z press up on the control stick, or x, or y AND the grab button z). Instead of jumping you will do a faster grab. Its a lot more effective.

in conclusion, im tired, and this is an EXTREMELY LONG QUESTION for me to answer. I have gone over one aspect in pretty good detail, effective grabbing and chain grabbing. If you want me to go into more detail, ask me specifically about one of the matchups, fox or falco, and i can go into more detail.

If you were wondering, I feel that Final Destination is the best stage for mario without a doubt, no platforms to ruin is combos or cg's. Learn to play on final destination, and it will help. You have lots of room to move around, and doesnt really negatively affect you against any character.

ONE LAST THING!!! WATCH BROWNMARIO. many of marios most basic and effective fighting styles can be found watching him. Hes a fantastic player, and if you NEED HELP AGAINST FOX, i suggest you watch brownmario vs masashi, with shiek watch brownmario vs captain jack, still some of the greatest matches ive ever seen.

Keep asking questions and dont give up mario :)
Linguini - someday ^_^

Turd Merchant

Smash Rookie
I suspect you've been violated by a space animal or two el oh el.

Another Mario question:

In the MarioPlumb minigame, I find myself stuck at the caked up feces at the base of the toilet. I've tried short hopping to down-plunge, then a series of Up-rectum combos, but no luck. The turd just lies there, and punishes my attempts to flush it with its awful Forward+Smell... What's the next best course of action here?

Green_Mario

Smash Journeyman
turd merchant- basically...u have ur options open. If you pick up the phone next to the toilet and dial the turd merchant's cell number, he gives you three pounds. The number to his cell is 1-800-I FVCKING GOT A 1360 ON MY SATS AND I BRAGG ABOUT IT MY NAME IS TIM KNOB AND I SUCK AND STEAL KYLE'S CHEESEITZ...MEN'S *****

btw on a more serious note...if you wanna talk to me my aim is topgunjesus162 about mario or w/e

SmashMac

Smash Lord
ophelius: this is the GREEN MARIO Q AND A TOPICS

not the, Ophelius learn how to become a crappy player even faster than thought possible.

you listen to the wisdom of green motherfcking mario. He knows too much.

I personally think its folly to just be giving out priceless information like this, it floods the market, bad for the economy, but I've learned not to question green's wisdom.

and remember:

Green Mario is like Spiderman, he got bit by a radioactive mario.
I don't know how you come up with this stuff, but it's way too good.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
1. Is it possible to get out of the Fox u-throw u-air on mario at lower percents (about 20%+, maybe even lower) and if so, which direction do you smash DI/what actions do you take (2nd jump leaves you open, what then?)--- I personally think you get hit once no matter what if facing a skilled fox, hence why i need your input.....

2. When playing good shieks, which way do you DI out of their throws to not get a 50% tilt combo (this is at a low %)? (I asked Plairnkk whom i was playing and he simply said "you can't get out of it")

Any advice is gladly accepted, ty.

Top Bottom