• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario: Nerfed or Buffed?

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
I tried using the Search function, but it didn't work correctly, so I'm not quite sure if this topic ha sbeen done already...

Would you say that, overall, Mario has been nerfed or buffed?

This takes into account any changes in range, speed, lag, power, knockback, etc. to his old moves, as well as additions of new moves like the new D-air and FLUDD.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Yeah, this discussion actually came up awhile back. Guess the search function wasn't working for you.

Mario got buffed however. However he lost some things in Melee, like the D-throw chaingrab.

Better kill power, more kill moves. stronger aerials, MUCH better recovery.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Mario did seem to get better, but I don't have very much input due to the lack of melee experience.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario's biggest problems in melee were recovery and kill power. He now has both. Major buff

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
yeah this thread has been made in the past, but to answer your question. Seriously buffed, even the dtilt (sort of)...

the only nerf mario has been left with is his bthrow, it throws them in a higher trajectory instead of a flatter one, so you can't really kill with it the same way all mario mains have been doing in melee. Usually if I'm on the edge of the stage with the opponent at least 160 percent, the bthrow kills.

Other than that, mario has been seriously buffed...

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Well I think Mario's range on some moves has been cut a bit...

A lot of his moves are weaker % wise, especially compared to the overpowered lightweights and stuff...

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Buffs:

+Way better recovery

+Actual kill power

+FLUDD

+Better aerials in terms of range and priority

+Uair and Dair are now slightly disjointed

+Much better Up B in terms of recovery distance (not counting Up B wall jump) and priority

+Cape now has really crazy physics and it actually reverses momentum now rather than just turning an opponent around

Nerfs:

-Brawl's low hitstun greatly limits the amount of true combos Mario has; pretty much the biggest "nerf" Mario got though it's not really his fault, still, he still has some true combos and juggles very well

-Ftilt, cape, and fireballs have a little less range

-Bthrow does not kill nearly as well as it did in Melee

-A percent or two of dmg has been shaved off some of his atks

-No longer has any CGs

vato_break

Smash Master
and i liked the voice actor from melee....mario's star ko taunt should of been the one from n64 and in his back throw he should of said "so long eh bowser"

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
and i liked the voice actor from melee....mario's star ko taunt should of been the one from n64 and in his back throw he should of said "so long eh bowser"
Me too, and that one with Bowser would of made a nice easter egg.

Baseballfan1456

Smash Rookie
Buffs:

+Way better recovery

+Actual kill power

+FLUDD

+Better aerials in terms of range and priority

+Uair and Dair are now slightly disjointed

+Much better Up B in terms of recovery distance (not counting Up B wall jump) and priority

+Cape now has really crazy physics and it actually reverses momentum now rather than just turning an opponent around

Nerfs:

-Brawl's low hitstun greatly limits the amount of true combos Mario has; pretty much the biggest "nerf" Mario got though it's not really his fault, still, he still has some true combos and juggles very well

-Ftilt, cape, and fireballs have a little less range

-Bthrow does not kill nearly as well as it did in Melee

-A percent or two of dmg has been shaved off some of his atks

-No longer has any CGs
Wouldn't having a (somewhat) easily spammable projectile be a buff? (I played as Mario in Melee a while ago and his fireballs were so slow)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I hate Fair in both games, but at least it's worth using off-stage now.
I loved the Fair in melee mainly because of Lcanceling. If we could Lcancel the Fair we have now, it'd be an excellent combo starter/jablock setup.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I loved the Fair in melee mainly because of Lcanceling. If we could Lcancel the Fair we have now, it'd be an excellent combo starter/jablock setup.
It still wasn't very good because of it's tremendous startup lag, yah, you could pull off some nice combos if you landed it but there were always better moves to use.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It still wasn't very good because of it's tremendous startup lag, yah, you could pull off some nice combos if you landed it but there were always better moves to use.
Not really. The startup lag wasn't much of an issue and Mario's only combo starter (aerial, Utilt kicks everything's ***) close to Fair in effectiveness was Dair. Also keep in mind the range and priority it had, and the fact that the entire hitbox was a meteor, not just some of it. Wavedashing added a few options to it as well, like retreating Fairs, and they were always fastfalled. I know it was MY weapon of choice for techchasing.

The only problem I had with that attack was how risky it was offstage, especially since Mario's recovery was such a liability.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Not really. The startup lag wasn't much of an issue and Mario's only combo starter (aerial, Utilt kicks everything's ***) close to Fair in effectiveness was Dair. Also keep in mind the range and priority it had, and the fact that the entire hitbox was a meteor, not just some of it. Wavedashing added a few options to it as well, like retreating Fairs, and they were always fastfalled. I know it was MY weapon of choice for techchasing.
I still perfer Doc's Fair finisher in Melee to Mario's meteor by far; Dthrow CG to Fair was amazing.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Seeing as how Melee Mario was way to high in the early tier lists... Added to his... questionable recovery... better voice actor... carry to five...

I think he's a little bit better.

Stutter step Fsmash>Melee Mario's killing. LOL

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The problem wasn't the range on it, it was the fact that you NEEDED to sweetspot to kill. BWD -> Fsmash >>>>>> Stutterstepped Fsmash; Silv will tell you.

Mario's sourspot Fsmash isn't pathetic anymore, and his sweetspot is alot easier to land/more powerful. It's just a better move in general now. I never pay attention to the voice actor. He never says anything anyways. He just makes noises.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
The problem wasn't the range on it, it was the fact that you NEEDED to sweetspot to kill. BWD -> Fsmash >>>>>> Stutterstepped Fsmash; Silv will tell you.

Mario's sourspot Fsmash isn't pathetic anymore, and his sweetspot is alot easier to land/more powerful. It's just a better move in general now. I never pay attention to the voice actor. He never says anything anyways. He just makes noises.
BWD???

His voice in Melee just sounded... More Mario. Don't sweat, everyone's VA sucks in Brawl.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Backward Wavedash

And you're probably right. I honestly liked how Mario looked on Melee more as well.

Top Bottom